Looking for a good quality firm latex mattress

Hi - its bed replacement time for me.

I’ve decided on a 100% latex mattress and I’m looking for something firm that sleeps cool,

I recently tried the Essentia Stratami. Great mattress but I would like it a little firmer.

Does anyone know what the ILD is for the Stratami?

I’ve been thinking of getting a 9" queen Sleenonlatex mattress, 7" Latexmattressfactory mattress (with a 3" topper if too firm) or a 10% foamsweetfoam mattress but am worried that if I chose a configuration of x-firm-firm-medium, that it still might be too soft.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, i’d greatly appreciate it!

Hi Rodd,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Latex is generally the most breathable of all foams, with Talalay being more breathable than Dunlop, followed by polyfoam and then memory foam. Of course, all foams are insulators to an extent and the foam layers are part of your complete sleep system. There are many variables that impact your sleeping “microclimate”, even including plushness (you’ll sink into a softer mattress more, exposing less of your surface area for heat exchange and insulating yourself more). There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I’m not familiar with the ILD ratings for the foam layers in this mattress, and that would be something you’d have to inquire with them to find out. Also, with the dome-shaped top on their latex foam pieces, these mattresses will have a softer surface feel than a solid piece of foam with the same ILD. Even if you knew the ILDs, nothing can replace your own careful personal testing of the product. While this mattress does appear to use better quality materials, it is in a higher budget range and I would do some carful “value comparisons” before making a final decision.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. While they can’t “feel what you feel”, they would be best able to recommend a layering arrangement that they think would best approximate the firmness you’re attempting to accomplish. Also, the layering terms that each manufacturer uses for “extra firm” or “medium” are just their own guidelines to differentiate their latex foam offerings from another, so that makes it even more important to speak with them before potentially placing an order.

The good news is that all three of these companies offer good return/exchange policies, and as you’re probably already aware, Sleep On Latex, Foam Sweet Foam and Latex Mattress Factory are all members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a mattress from any of them and would value their advice.

I’m interested in learning about any future decisions you make, or if you have any other more specific questions I might be able to answer.

Phoenix