Looking for a high quality COOL SLEEPING mattress

I have spent hours and hours researching all over the web, and most recently, all over this site. I completely recognize that I get OCD once I start researching ANY topic that is important to me. I have had the best bed ever for the last 7 years, a 8" full latex mattress. We would still have this mattress and not be in the market for a new mattres except that I recently moved and my idiot mover decided to ROLL UP my mattress. As you may have guessed, that did not work out well. I now have a completely lumpy unusable mattress.

I normally am a very HOT type person and I sleep even hotter. I have a gel infused pillow so that helps. i also have a very bad back and have been in pain management for the last 8 years. I need a semi firm mattress but with a softer or medium soft feel if that makes sense.

As much research as I have been able to do and all I end up with is more questions. No one seems able to definitively say that this mattress sleeps cool or cold. I know it sound funny but I tested the Tempurpedic Tempur-Cloud Supreme Breeze and it was actually Cold to the touch and seems that it would be wonderful for temperature control at night.

Given all of the above, any suggestions? I have read and seem to be leaning towards… Nature’s Sleep Cayman (1" next gen visco memory foam in quilted top, 3" superior gel premium memory foam & 8" HD foam core) and my other choice is also Nature’s Sleep Hybrid but I cannot find out enough info on the pocketed coils for my taste. I also like their Glacial Gel Memory Foam… 3.5" Superior Gel Technology infused Aerated Memory Foam & 8.5" HD Foam. I believe that all foams are 4+ lbs …I also just noticed Natures Sleep mattresses are designed in USA but made in China… They are CertiPUR-US approved. Is that a concern?

Can someone help me to get focused on what may work for me?

Hi Cajen9669,

If you have an all latex mattress which has latex from top to bottom (you can check the law tag to see if there are any other materials in your mattress) then rolling up the latex won’t hurt it and it may just be that the layers inside your mattress have bunched up and just need to be evened out inside your cover. If this is what has happened you could try very carefully holding, lifting and gently pulling the top layer of latex to even it out (but be very careful because latex can tear very easily) or you could also try "mattress surgery) and remove your cover, checking the type of materials inside it and their condition, and evening out the layers if that is the cause of your issue, replacing any layers that have softened or broken down, and then ordering a new cover to replace your old one instead of replacing the whole mattress. There is more about mattress surgery in post #2 here. this would certainly be well worth considering if the only other alternative is disposing of your mattress.

If you decide to replace the complete mattress then the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you have been sleeping well on an all latex mattress then it would also make sense to replace it with another mattress that is similar to the one you would be replacing (that uses the same type of latex with the same layering and the same firmness level in each layer).

[quote]I normally am a very HOt type person and I slepp even hotter. I have a gel infused pillow so that helps. i also have a very bad back and have been in pain management for the last 8 years. I need a semi firm mattress but with a softer or medium soft feel if that makes sense.

As much research as I have been able to do and all I end up with is more questions. No one seems able to definitively say that this mattress sleeps cool or cold. I know it sound funny but I tested the Tempurpedic Tempur-Cloud Supreme Breeze and it was actually Cold to the touch and seems that it would be wonderful for temperature control at night.[/quote]

You can read more about gel memory foams in post #2 here. They will tend to feel cooler to the touch and can sleep cooler when you are going to sleep at night but once temperatures equalize they won’t generally maintain their temperature regulating properties over the course of the night.

The temperature of a material when you touch it will have little to do with its sleeping temperature over the course of the night. and with gel memory foams the surface temperature when you touch it is used for more of a marketing tool than anything else and can be very misleading.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved (including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

If you have carefully tested a mattress (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and confirmed that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP … I would be much more concerned with the quality and durability of the materials over the pocket coils which are much more likely to be the weakest link of the mattress than I would with the details of the pocket coil itself.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you are including online options in your research then the tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step). One of them is a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online that all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that may be well worth considering as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your response. I honestly was surprised to see it so soon following my post! I have tried everything short of mattress surgery to get the “lump” out… All to no avail. We just moved to the Chatlotte, NC area. Are you familiar with Nature’s Sleep Mattresses? They are designed in the US but made in China. They are CertiPur-US approved and I know that is important. Should the made in China be a concern?

I am not averse to buying on-line at all… I am ALWAYS more concerned with quality over name brand.

Thanks again!

Cajen9669,

You can see some comments about Nature’s Sleep (.com not .ca which is a completely different company) in this topic. A forum search on naturessleep.com (you can just click the link) will also bring up some additional comments about them as well. You are probably already aware of this but the prices listed on their website are outrageously high and aren’t the “real” selling prices for their mattresses.

Outside of confirming that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (or making sure that there is a good return/exchange policy if you are uncertain) ,… the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is the quality and durability of the materials inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label) so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can confirm that there aren’t any lower quality materials or weak links in any mattress that you are considering.

There is also more about purchasing a mattress that is made in China that may be subject to longer periods of compression during shipping and storage and some of the additional uncertainty that can be involved in post #6 here.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Charlotte, NC area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

You can try:

For my opinion they are the best you can find. Believe me, i have tried them :wink:

I removed your link since the company you mentioned doesn’t have a store in Charlotte, NC.

I’ve also deleted your other post in a different topic since it was too promotional and not on topic. Please read the rules of the forum here about advertising or promoting specific companies on the forum

Phoenix

I use the Protect-A-Bed Luxury mattress protector because it has thermo-regulation properties that keep me cool when I’m hot and warmer when I am cold. It also wicks moisture away from the surface of my mattress, so I have a cleaner, drier, and smoother sleeping surface which is perfect for my sensitive skin.

Hi KentS,

I think that the OP was asking more about mattresses than a mattress protector.

Having said that … the thinner membrane type mattress protectors like the Protect-A-Bed protectors (see post #89 here) are certainly a popular choice and the viscose/rayon (from eucalyptus) fabric can help with moisture wicking but for some people the semi breathable membrane in these types of protectors can impair airflow enough that they can sleep warmer than they would with other types of protectors without the membrane that are more breathable.

Phoenix

PS: I removed the link from your post