Looking for a latex mattress and thinking about Foam Sweet Foam/Urban Green Mattress, Spindle, or Sleep Essentials. Any recommendations?

It looks like there are only 10 reviews for SFS but none for Urban Green Mattress - has anyone ordered from them?
Ive watched the youtube videos from Sleep Essentials which is what actually convinced me on the benefits of buying all organic latex. They do not offer as much customization as other stores though and havent seen any reviews online. Anyone have experience buying from them?

***ADMIN: This was originally a reply to this post but this post and the two replies following it were switched to the poster’s original topic which was more appropriate.***

I just bought two Twin XL four layer latex mattresses from FoamSweetFoam, now called Urban Green Mattress earlier this month. They had a Labor Day coupon sale that offered $400 off from the posted online price of each mattress. I chose them because they had the best price for what I wanted based on the companies I looked at. I also liked how easily I could find the information I wanted on their website without a lot of fluff.

I placed my order on a Sunday and then called them on Monday to make sure my choice in layer builds would be the best based on our stats. We live in Florida and the bed arrived a little more than a week later on the following Tuesday. The beds arrived in four boxes, four heavy boxes. The latex and mattress covers were not damaged in any way from shipping. They were well packaged.

The assembly directions were in one of the boxes and very clearly written and easy to follow. I put both mattresses together by myself before my husband arrived home.

We are very happy with our mattresses. The covers are heavy and feel very durable. The latex is latex, so I assume it is like everyone else’s with the same specs. I only spoke with Heidi, the customer service rep. She is very nice with a very cheerful voice.

I am happy with my choice and I am enjoying my bed. I don’t see me needing to return or exchange any of the layers.

Hi Geekymom1,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and experience about Foam Sweet Foam / Urban Green and your new mattress … I appreciate it.

It’s great to see that your choice worked out so well for you and now that you are past the initial break in and adjustment period and with the durability of latex you should be sleeping well for many years to come :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for sharing Geekymom1! Did you purchase the urban green mattress pad or the waterproof pad…or both? I dont have pets or kids so I wasnt sure which to go with. I already have a cotton mattress pad (prbly not organic) that could probably work similar to the green one as far as offering a little bit of protection again spills or sweat.

I only bought the mattresses from them. Originally I was planning on buying memory foam mattresses, but at the last minute, I changed to latex because I finally had the option to try one out. I am very glad I made the change. But, when I first ordered the memory foam mattresses I also ordered two St Dormeir wool mattress protectors. I went with this because of my concerns that the memory foam might sleep hot and the wool would help insulate. The protectors came in way before I got my mattresses so I kept them and I put them on my bed. They seem to be fine, but I am not that picky. I don’t know if wool or cotton is better, but I am sure Phoenix can point you in the right direction.

I know some posts have expressed concerns with how a mattress protector might change the contouring ability of a mattress, but I didn’t notice a difference from when I laid on the bed without the protector to later when it was on. But, as I said before, I am not very picky or overly sensitive to things like this.

I am truly happy I bought latex and now my daughter is planning on doing the same when she finishes grad school next year. And my parents, who have always used super hard coil beds with no pillow tops are actually interested in looking at latex.

Hi soccerlover,

I originally missed your post and replied to geekymom’s reply as if she was the original poster … my apologies. I switched her post/review and our replies to her original topic here which was more appropriate.

You can see my reply here to the same question in your other topic.

While latex in general is certainly a high quality and durable material … the latex in the Sleep Essentials mattress is 100% natural Dunlop and not certified organic Dunlop latex. I would also question some of the information on their videos which in some cases is somewhat inaccurate or misleading and somewhat extreme, particularly about needing a prescription to eliminate “chemical” fire barriers (see post #3 here) and about polyfoam in general because there are certainly higher quality/density versions of polyfoam and memory foam that are very durable materials that aren’t subject to premature softening or foam breakdown.

Having said that … their mattresses use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their designs in terms of durability. There are some comments about them in this topic and a forum search on Sleepessentials or on perfectlatexmattress or specific term site searches on Sleep Essentials or on Perfect Latex Mattress (you can just click the links) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

Foam Sweet Foam has the option to choose between 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic and 100% natural Talalay in their mattresses and Spindle uses 100% natural Dunlop in their mattresses. Both have multiple firmness options for each layer. Both of them also use wool as their fire barrier to pass the fire regulations so they don’t need a prescription. They are also both members of this site which means I think highly of them and I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. A forum search on Spindle will bring up all the forum comments and feedback about them and forum searches on Foamsweetfoam or on fsf or a specific term site search on Foam Sweet Foam will bring up all the forum comments and feedback about them as well.

there is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include SleepEZ) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi soccerlover17,

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

Phoenix