Looking for a mattress in Camarillo (Ventura County)

Are there any retailer members around that area?

I currently have a hand-me-down old (about 7 years) queen pillow top mattress that has a serious dip. Due to space I’m looking for a mid-range twin size bed. I went to a retailer today and they recommended the stress o pedic tension ease for 448. It did seem comfortable, but when I got back to look it up, I couldn’t find any information about it! I would be fine ordering online as well. I’m just looking for something a little of the soft side, but mostly good quality! Any suggestions?

Hi persephoniekali,

the first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Outside of careful and objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post, the most important part of a mattress purchase is making sure you know the quality of the materials inside a mattress so you can identify any potential weak links and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses (see this article and the guidelines in post #4 here).

If you can find out the specifics of the materials inside the Stress-O-Pedic you are considering and post them here (and as you can see in this thread Stress-O-Pedic will provide them to your retailer), I’d be happy to make some comments or help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress.

The tutorial post also includes links to several lists of some of the better online options I’m aware of including many of the members of this site.

There are no members of the site in your immediate area but some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Santa Barbara / Ventura area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Well I did the deed and purchased it, but I finally got a response back from the corp. This was their response:

Base Foam… 2 ½" 1.5 Density 50 IFD

4" foam rails 1.5 Density 50 IFD

Cap Foam 2 ½" 1.3 Density 35 IFD

The coil that goes in the above foam encasement is a 396 Verti Coil (Bonnel)

On top of that is a 2" Pillow size fill.

On top of that is your Quilt with soft quilting foam and The FR (Fire Barrier)

Hi persephoniekali,

The specs you listed aren’t complete and don’t include all the layers (such as the pillow top material or the quilting materials) which would be necessary to make a meaningful assessment of the mattress (see post #4 here). It also doesn’t mention if the price is for a set (mattress/foundation) or for the mattress only.

The specs you did list though include some lower quality materials which could be a weak link in the mattress so I would want to know the missing information and also make sure that the price you are paying justifies the lower quality and less durable materials in the comfort layers especially and that you have realistic expectations about the useful life of the mattress which would be less than a mattress that used higher quality materials.

Of course it’s also true that a low budget mattress will also use lower quality and less durable materials.

If you had several finalists and the one you chose is the best match for you based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and durability is not a significant issue for you then at least you have made an informed choice and will have realistic expectations about the useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix