Looking for a mattress

Hi, I just recently found this website and it’s incredible wealth of knowledge. I’m looking to purchase a mattress. My zip code is 39705. Phoenix, think you could offer suggestions based on my location? Only places I’ve seen selling mattresses are mainstream retailers selling mainstream ‘s’ brand mattresses at crazy prices.

Hi Robbie,

Unfortunately there isn’t a forum list for the Columbus, MS area (only Columbus, OH and Columbus, GA) and a very quick scan didn’t turn up anything that is very promising. The closest forum lists to you would be the Tupelo, MS list in post #4 here (which includes a factory direct manufacturer in Verona, MS), the Jackson, MS list in post #2 here (which includes a factory direct manufacturer in Meridian, MS.), and the Birmingham, AL list in post #57 here (which includes a factory direct manufacturer in Pelham, AL that I think very highly of).

Over the course of the next few days I’ll try and look a little more closely in and around the Columbus, MS area and make a few phone calls (time permitting) to see if there are any better options that I missed in a quick scan and if there are I’ll post them here.

Phoenix

Hi Robbie,

I took a closer look around the area and you’re right that most of the stores there only sell major brand mattresses. Out of about 20 stores or so I looked at or called to find out what they carried within about 50 miles of you … there is only one that I would consider as a “possibility” (subject to the “value” guidelines here). They are …

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Columbus-MS/GooseHollow-Furniture-L2062413884.htm Columbus, MS. They don’t have a website but they carry Jamison mattresses (including latex and memory foam) which tend to use higher quality materials in their mattresses and may be worth including in your research.

Other than this I would look at the other options in the lists I linked which involve a longer drive or I would look at the online options that are available to you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for looking into that. I have become familiar with Goosehollow over the last week while shopping there for furniture. I noticed the Jamison mattresses they have but not until after I had decided to purchase a mattress from SelectFoam, their Regalis HD 12".

I made my purchase despite the multiple instances of terrible customer service reported on this forum. Peter stated it usually takes no longer than 2 weeks for a mattress to be delivered and so far (purchased on the 9th), I have not heard from the company at all regarding status, shipment, delays, etc. I realize I am still comfortably within their two week window, but understand that I am going to meticulously track this order until my experience with the company reaches a satisfactory conclusion. I will be certain to leave a review regarding my experience.

Thanks again for your research and suggestions! This site has been incredibly helpful. If it wasn’t for you, I would have bought a Sealy Optimum memory foam bed and have felt like I wasted my money a year later as the low-density foam gave out.

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I hope that everything goes well with all the other parts of your purchase as well.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Of course! Thanks for the very informative site! While it certainly seems like I made a good quality/value choice, it really does depend on the customer satisfaction value that comes with it. In light of the handful of negative reviews, I will definitely keep the forum posted on the end customer service grade.

Thank you! I actually am pretty excited to receive the mattress as it the first mattress I’ve been able to have a say in what I what I sleep on (I’m in the military). I’m currently sleeping on a couch having just moved out of the base living quarters and really can’t wait for my mattress to get here.

Hopefully I can give an update on the delivery time (meaning it was on time) by the end of the week!

Hi Robbie,

That would be good news :slight_smile:

Phoenix