Looking for a retailer (Raleigh, NC) and mattress type recommendation

• edited to clarify budget *

Hi folks,

Just finished my tour through the intro articles and feel way more knowledgeable… Does anyone know of good retailers in Raleigh, NC?

Also… wondering if some kind soul could offer some advice on some characteristics to look for based on my situation. A few things:

• I’m 34 and recovering from major back surgery (scoliosis, lots of fusion, rods, screws)… currently sleeping miserably on a 3 y/o but sagging inner spring

• I’m pretty skinny at ~ 145 lbs and 5’10"

• Wife is 6 months pregnant, 5’5" and “normally” 130 lbs or so, now 150

• She’s a bit less particular and found a lot of comfort for her pregnancy just from getting a wedge pillow.

• We did the select comfort demo thing before finding this site. I was greatly relieved using the firmness setting for the bladder to find a comfortable setting, but have since read Phoenix’s thoughts on air beds, and am reconsidering.

• To our surprise we both really loved the adjustable beds in the store… felt like the height of luxury! Will start researching a split king base.

For budget I expect to spend between $3k and $6k (for mattress + base) and find where in that range I’m getting the best “value”

Thanks!

Hi Carnom,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Raleigh, NC area (subject to following the guidelines post #13 here) are listed in post #6 here.

Unfortunately, nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to predict which mattress would be the best “match” for for someone else based on a formula or specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” and your own personal testing or experience is the only reliable way to know which mattress is the best match for you or fits the criteria that are most important to you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While any type of mattress may be a good match for a particular person (regardless of how others may feel about them) … as you mentioned I am not a “fan” of airbeds in general for the reasons that are mentioned in the article you read (it’s here for others that may read this post).

If you do decide that an airbed is the best choice for you … then I would make sure that it uses high quality and durable materials and at the very least I would suggest that it has a separate firmness adjustment for the middle section of the air bladder to help offset the tendency of air to sag under the heavier parts of the body (regardless of the firmness settings). There is also a list of some of the many airbed manufacturers in post #3 here that may also be helpful in comparing airbeds.

Adjustable beds can certainly be a great option to add to a sleeping system for those that either need them or that may just prefer them. There is more in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed that has the features that are most important to you and includes some reference sources that you can use to compare prices and “value” as well.

Phoenix