Looking for Advice - Latex Mattress or Topper

I’ve recently realized that it is time - past time - to give up on making friends with my current bed, which is a Sensa soft-sided waterbed that’s a bit more than 5 years old. Two years ago I wasn’t comfortable in it after tumbling down some stairs, having to surround myself with multiple down pillows for support while I healed, so I added a featherbed topper - the wrong one, I suspect, since it’s 50% down and not as supportive as I apparently need. Over the last year, more and more the contents shift to the edges in spite of it being baffled, and it’s to the point that I have to unmake and then, hours later, remake the bed every day to give the contents time to re-loft. In the mornings, my bed looks as though I’ve been in a night-long battle and my body feels the same, even though when I first get into the freshly re-made bed I feel comfortable. When I wake, most of the time one or both arms exhibit numbness/tingling - I sleep alone in a queen size bed and feel like I spent too much of the night looking for a comfortable spot in the bed.

The most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in, other than my first hard-sided waterbed with a lot of motion, was my father’s old latex bed he bought at Sears back in the 1960s. I thought Talalay was the superior latex, only to learn that his was almost certainly 100% Dunlop latex. He let me “steal” his bed on occasion after I’d left home and was back for a visit, and sleeping in it was always a treat. I could sink down in it and hardly move all night long.

When I thought about replacing the featherbed, and realized how costly the one I think would be better cost, I started thinking more about either a latex bed or a latex topper.
I’ve spent the past few days reading everything here before deciding to create a post of my own looking for advice or information, and I’m glad to have found this forum where such questions might at least be considered appropriate.

For background - I’m a 62 year old female, 5’3", 140 pounds, with a horrid case of restless leg syndrome, chronic pain from fibromyalgia and other rheumatologic issues, and insomnia to the point where I’m lucky if I sleep before 3 am and lucky if I get 6-7 hours of often interrupted sleep a night. Unmaking and remaking that heavy waterbed is a chore I’d like to make a thing of the past.

I prefer a soft bed, liking the sensation of sleeping “in” a bed rather than “on” a bed.
Even a Westin so-called heavenly bed didn’t feel like my notion of heaven. I’m a side sleeper 90% of the time, and I sleep hot, so not interested in anything like memory foam - as an allergy sufferer, I’d prefer to avoid things like that or an innerspring mattress anyway.

I don’t know whether something like a 3" Talalay topper would do the trick, or if I need an entirely new bed, and haven’t been able to figure out if I could use the waterbed foundation with a new latex mattress. I do know there’s nothing wrong with the foundation I have and it certainly supports a good amount of weight now.

I moved away from the hard sided waterbed style because I wanted a bed I could use to prop up and read or watch movies/TV, and for that reason I’m not interested in going back to that style bed. I’m unsure if a latex mattress or topper would let me get in a comfortable position to read or watch video.

I’m not opposed to online shopping (Amazon loves me, and so do lots of other online sellers), but I would like to go somewhere that has latex mattresses on display to check out, and hopefully someone informative with whom to talk. We live halfway between Greensboro NC and Roanoke VA, and I’d be happy to go in either direction. The only storefront with latex I’ve been able to find so far is The Bed Gallery in Greensboro, and their website contains precious little information about what they sell.

So - any advice, information, etc., would be much appreciated.

I would recommend trying to find a Pure Latex Bliss dealer. I was hesitant to try one due to cost but I am so, so glad I did. It is the best bed ever. Last night I slept better than I have in a year and a half since I fell down a flight of stairs. I also sleep hot and even though we are in the middle of a sleep wave I was not too warm at all last night. I bought the latex pillows as well. It truly was a blissful night.

Hi Clawdia,

A featherbed or down topper is not a “supportive” material and has little resistance or resilience so it’s best use is to help relieve local pressure points such as hips or shoulders or to create a “feel” that some people like of being “enveloped” in a very soft material (see post #6 here). In some cases it can even interfere with the ability of layers below it to adapt to the shape of the body and relieve pressure along the entire body surface. It is a material that would be more for “feel” than for “pressure relief” (see more about the different types of softness in post #15 here).

In the 60’s many of the thinner latex mattresses were Dunlop and then in the 70’s the blended Talalay became more common and both of them often lasted for decades. Both types of latex are very durable … especially in slightly firmer versions.

In theory a 2" - 3" topper could work well to provide additional pressure relief. As with any topper though it would depend on the choice of topper and how it interacts with the specific materials and layers in your waterbed. Post #2 here has some guidelines for choosing a topper.

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use your current waterbed foundation for a latex mattress and it would certainly hold the weight. The only other consideration I would have is that a solid surface wouldn’t be as breathable as a slatted surface but that’s not likely to be an issue unless there are other risk factors for the buildup of moisture and humidity (see post #10 here).

A softer latex topper (19 ILD or even lower) would probably provide more of the “feel” you are looking for than a firmer latex topper … especially with your weight. With a little thicker topper you will also sink in more however there is also an increased risk of alignment issues with thicker and softer layers on top of your sleeping system.

You would sink in a little more than you are now because of the extra softness on top but I really don’t know if it would be “too much” for you and your own experience is probably the only way to know for certain. If your back was supported and all your weight wasn’t concentrated in sitting without any other support and there was enough firmness in your mattress it would probably be OK.

If you do decide to go in the direction of a new mattress instead of a new topper then I would start with post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices. Some of the online manufacturers may even agree to sell you the topper and then if you decide to switch to a complete mattress sell you the rest of the mattress minus the topper.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Roanoke area are listed in post #5 here and in the Greensboro area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the replies. Wavycat, I’ll look into a mattress like yours, since you seem so overwhelmingly happy with it!

Phoenex, thanks for the information. I’m interested in checking out the first vendor you listed for the Roanoke, VA area - Perfect Latex Mattress. It looks like they have at least two models listed online that I’d like to check out in person, including one recommended for people with pain issues that’s very much on the soft side. If you know anything more about this company or its products, I’d be very interested in the information - I can’t tell if they are using Talalay and/or Dunlop, which seems pretty basic information. They make a big deal of the lack of fire retardant materials, which I find interesting and appealing, although I’m not sure if it’s a relevant issue, or a sales pitch (this is a difficult distinction for me, when I know people are influenced by wanting to sell me something).

Their Perfection 16 Naturalux® is the soft sounding mattress that interests me. They say, “This mattress offers a softer 19-23 ILD six inch core than what is in the other Perfection® mattresses. And the topper is three inches of 16-18 ILD natural latex finishing it off super soft.” What they fail to say on their website is what type of latex is used, unless “natural” means something I’m not picking up on.

I think I mentioned that when I wake up, quite often I have numbness/tingling in my arms and hands. Would you know if these symptoms are indicative of any specific issue that I should be focusing on remedying?

Another question - you said, “Some of the online manufacturers may even agree to sell you the topper and then if you decide to switch to a complete mattress sell you the rest of the mattress minus the topper.” Would you happen to know which of the online folks might be willing to go that route?

Also, if I were to try just a topper, what kind of cover should go on it? I tend to think that less cover between my body and the latex would be best, but don’t know if you can buy a cover just for a 3" topper.

I’m finding so much information here on your site that it’s a bit of an overload for me - fibro fog doesn’t help when it comes to decision making I’m afraid. I’m very appreciative of all the information, but it’s going to take a little while to digest more of it while making plans to take a trip to the Roanoke area in the near future where I can actually get more of a feel for things that right now are just relatively abstract numbers and concepts.

You don’t happen to know of anywhere in Danville, VA that I should check out, do you? That’s about half the distance for us as Roanoke or Greensboro.

Many thanks for your help!

Hi Clawdia,

I have talked with lee the owner for several hours and I think highly of him and he certainly puts the interests of his customers first. He would be well worth a visit IMO.

He is not prone to “sales pitches” although some of the information on his videos is somewhat inaccurate or misleading or extreme. A phone call will confirm the type of latex he uses and the requirement for a prescription means that they can make the mattress without any fire retardant barriers at all so they can use a stretch cover without wool quilting or a viscose fire barrier (both of which are safe but will have an effect on the mattress and the compression of the latex below it).

This generally points to a lack of circulation which most often comes from a sleeping surface that is too firm and doesn’t provide enough pressure relief or a sleeping position (such as sleeping on an arm) that cuts of circulation.

One that mentions this specifically on their site as a “bonus” feature of their toppers is SleepEz which you can see here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Toppers - Sleep EZ

Most of the retailers or manufacturers that sell toppers will also sell a suitable stretch cover (which has the least effect on the compression of the topper) for it as well which is either an added cost or included in the cost of the topper.

I would just take things one step at a time and make sure you pay more attention to your own personal testing than to the “theory” which can become overwhelming. In the end all that really matters is that you end up with a mattress that has good PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that is good value and that uses good quality materials. The rest is less important.

Unfortunately I don’t no.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information. I plan on going to Roanoke this Friday to check out the mattresses at Sleep Essentials and, hopefully, talk with Lee. Planning to call tomorrow to ask if he has the mattresses that interest me the most out on his sales floor so I can check them out. There really doesn’t seem to be any other place nearby with anywhere near comparable quality.

I have (I think) figured out that his latex is all dunlop. I had thought Talalay would be a better choice for comfort layer, but since his dunlop is listed as being low ILD to very low (16-18 top over a 19-23 core, or 19-24 over a 23-27 core), I’m hopeful that I’ll find I like the feel as much as I would Talalay, since there seems to be nowhere I can find locally that has Talalay except for perhaps a blend over a non-latex core, which I don’t want.

Also, I keep thinking that since my father’s mattress that I loved so much way back when was dunlop latex, then perhaps that’s what I’d like better, anyway.

I’m a bit concerned that my local choices are so limited, but thankful that you steered me in the direction of Sleep Essentials so I can at least get a feel for what’s available from someone with a good reputation. Lee has quite a few videos up on youtube that I watched over the weekend, but I’m afraid they concentrated more on what everyone else does wrong, so I didn’t really learn much information that wasn’t already available here.

I haven’t seen you say how you feel about the issue, but I see nothing wrong with a mattress that is not fire retardant, altho I’d need a doctor’s prescription to be able to buy one from Sleep Essentials. I can’t imagine my doctor having a problem with it - my only problem is that Lee says I can download a copy of the needed prescription from his website, but I can’t find any such thing. I thought I’d get my doctor to sign one, in case I decided to buy from Sleep Essentials (not necessarily to buy this week, but I already have a doctor’s appt. on Thursday, and it might save me a trip there in the future to go ahead and get it signed).

Hi Clawdia,

You can see here that they use Dunlop latex in their mattresses but the ILD would not be particularly important because your body doesn’t know what ILD means but it can certainly feel whether something is soft or firm enough regardless of its ILD.
[size=2][i]ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: web.archive.org/liveweb/http://perfectlatexmattress.com/latex-vs-latex/[/i][/size]

There are several retailers or manufacturers that carry Talalay within about 50 or 60 miles or so but there doesn’t seem to be any locally that I can see anyway. The closest are https://thebedgallery.com/index.php (Pure Latex Bliss), Find an Original Mattress Factory Store , and possibly some of the manufacturers in High Point.

You can see some of my thoughts about fire retardants in post #4 here and in post #2 here. I personally wouldn’t have any issues sleeping on a mattress that didn’t have any fire retardants in it or a mattress that used what I considered to be safe fire retardant methods.

Phoenix

Thanks much, Phoenix - I’ll schedule a trip down to The Bed Gallery for next week, hopefully, so I can compare the feel of the Talalay to that of Dunlop (unless the Dunlop I try on Friday at Sleep Essentials turns out to be exactly what I’m looking for).

The price of the Talalay at The Bed Gallery is several hundred dollars more than that of the Dunlop at Sleep Essentials, which might be prohibitive in this case - but I’d prefer not to buy another mattress in my life after this, since I’m already in my 60s, and I do want to get it right this time.

I didn’t realize that The Bed Gallery carried a mattress line that I’ve seen so many positive things about - if that store was on your list for the Greensboro area, I must have overlooked it.

Hi Clawdia,

They aren’t on the High Point / Greensboro list … I found them by searching your zip in the PLB retail store finder here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexbliss.com/Default.aspx?CCID=21505&FID=113584&ExcludeBoolFalse=True&ID=/retailers-results.htm

Phoenix

Ah - gotcha. Anyway, I appreciate the information about them.

One thing I’ve noticed is that almost all the online stores I check use quilted covers, with a wool lining. I’m having a hard time finding places that offer a stretchy knit cover of some type, instead of putting a lot of wool/quilting between the sleeper and the latex.
I have a very bad allergy to wool and need to stay away from it, and heavy quilting isn’t very appealing to me.

I did send a query note to Spindle Mattress today since they had said to request further details if desired, and I asked about their poly top over their latex - their response was that “The soy based foam adds to the comfort of the mattress. It is a comfort layer above the latex which gives the mattress a more traditional feel while still giving you all the benefits of latex.”.

I suppose they’re discounting the fact that some might not be looking for that specific feel of a mattress. Unless personal experience over the next week or so reveals I’m sadly mistaken, one of the benefits of latex - at least in my mind - would be the feel of the latex as opposed to the “traditional feel” of a mattress.

Then again, I don’t quite understand the construction of a soy based foam, so I could be mistaken (happens quite often). I do like their prices, but this one thing makes me wonder if that is really the material I want to be sleeping closest to in a mattress.

I did speak with Lee at Sleep Essentials today, who assured me he had the models of his dunlop mattresses on his showroom floor and I made plans to see him about 3 pm on Friday - I’m really excited about seeing his products. He was also good enough to email me the prescription form for a non flame retardant mattress after I told him I couldn’t find it available for download from his website.

Hi Clawdia,

Some people prefer the “feel” of a thin layer of polyfoam vs the “feel” of sleeping directly on latex which is a much more resilient material. Others prefer a natural fiber quilting and some prefer sleeping directly on the latex. These are all personal preference. There are many manufacturers that use a thin layer of polyfoam in their quilting for this reason among the others I mentioned earlier. I don’t think they’re discounting the fact that there are some that prefer sleeping directly on the latex as much as making what they believe more people would prefer.

Soy foam is just another name for polyfoam that has replaced a small percentage of one of the two main petrochemicals used to make it (the polyol) with a polyol that is derived from soy oil. you can read more about so called “plant based” foams in post #2 here.

Several of the online manufacturers on the list either carry or can make a mattress with a stretch knit unquilted cover including …

https://www.sleepez.com/latex-mattress-sale.htm

and possibly https://www.flobeds.com/

Phoenix

Phoenix - I had some observations/questions after I visited Sleep Essentials in Roanoke yesterday - wasn’t sure whether to tack that onto my original thread, or start a new thread since I can’t quite tell what proper protocol is around here, but ultimately decided to add it here and hope you’ll see it - I suspect you read everything that’s posted regardless of where it is.

I had spoken with Lee earlier in the week and he’d asked what time Friday we’d be there to see the mattresses, and I gave him an accurate time. When we got there, he apparently had totally forgotten that I’d told him we’d be making a trip of more than 60 miles, had a limited amount of time that trip - in other words, he seemed to have never heard of me before, even though only 2 days prior he’d gone to the trouble to email me a copy of the prescription needed to buy one of his mattresses. He’d forgotten that as well, and went into how I’d need a prescription to buy a mattress.

When I gave up on reminding him that we’d talked (“I talk to so many people I never remember them” was what he finally said), I told him again that I wanted to look at his latex mattresses, and he pointed to the section where the latex mattresses were and went back to talking to a couple who were already there. He talked to them about religion for the first half hour we were in the store, and ignored us completely.

I did like two of the mattresses - the 16-18 top over a 19-23 core, and the 19-24 over a 23-27 core - but couldn’t decide which I liked “more”. He finally did come over and ask if we had any questions, so I asked if his Dunlop was made by continuous pour or molded, and he said all latex was molded. I again stressed the “continuous pour method”, and he said then that he would never use that. He kept repeating that his latex was 98% natural, made from “the sap of the rubber tree”. Now, I know I’ve seen several places, including at least one article here at MU, that the material used is NOT the “sap” of the rubber tree. He also repeated several times that he would never use Talalay latex because 98% of the Talalay latex sold is synthetic. Apparently he’s fond of the 98% number, but even though I know most Talalay is a blend, I didn’t know such a high percentage is blended. So - I was left questioning both his business practices and his degree of knowledge.

That being said, I really liked the mattresses. They come with a very nice, soft bamboo cover that is removable and washable. I don’t think I’m dissuaded beyond the point of making a second, longer trip to his store again to check out these mattresses but I was concerned about the whole situation, and don’t really know if I should be concerned enough to simply end up purchasing elsewhere. I mentioned your website, and he acknowledged that he had spoken with you one time and that he had had perhaps a half dozen customers who had come into his store and mentioned the website as being the reason why.

I guess I just thought he was rude, and of no help. I told him I would have trouble deciding which of those two mattresses I liked better, and he just looked at me and walked off. He came back a few minutes later, said something else and then his phone rang, and he walked off again and then went back to the other couple. Truthfully, I’d expected someone who was the business owner to be more informative, and more interested in finding out exactly what I was looking for, and help me decide what might be best suited for my needs.

My husband did ask if the mattress would become more soft with time, wondering if perhaps the softest one might end up being too soft, and Lee’s response was that the feel of the mattress wouldn’t change at all after it had been used for years. I was under the impression that there would be some change in the feel of a latex mattress after a “breaking in” period, altho I could certainly be wrong about that and so would like your opinion.

We didn’t really have chance to inquire about things such as his warranty, his willingness to work with us after purchase if we weren’t happy with the initial configuration, or several other things. When we left after about an hour, he was still sitting and talking with the other couple who were buying pillows - we couldn’t tell if they were also interested in a mattress, but it didn’t really matter.

I guess I’m wondering if I was simply being over-sensitive, or if this is the way business is done in a specialty store such as this. I certainly can’t accuse him of being over zealous in his salesmanship techniques, rather the opposite to the point where I wonder if his product is good enough to keep him in business long-term since I know several people who would never walk back in that store again after being paid so little attention. I certainly wouldn’t go back without a written list of very specific questions.

I have trouble imagining that I’d prefer Talalay over the feel of the Dunlop, having heard more than once the analogy between Talalay seeming more like angel food cake while Dunlop is more like pound cake. I really liked the feel - my problem in deciding between the two was that while I preferred the softer (his softest) mattress, I wonder if over time it would provide adequate support with such a soft inner core. My husband and I were having difficulty determining if both provided adequate spinal alignment, but there was no question about pressure point relief and that I was quite comfortable when lying on mattresses for 15 or so minutes.

I’d said I would let you know what I thought after visiting this store, so there it is.
I still really don’t know what to think - it did bother me that after leaving I realized I felt bad about the whole experience, which is just complicated by the fact that I liked the product itself. I wanted to give my business to a local seller because I know I’d be more comfortable buying a mattress I’d actually tested, but I just can’t help the rather sour taste left by the visit.

Hi Clawdia,

thanks for the detailed feedbck about your visit.

I think that it would be rare that you would find a retailer or manufacturer that had all the information that was available on this site and in most cases that level of detail would do more to confuse people than help them and could result in people becoming overwhelmed in “specs” or details.

Most of the information they provide is far more accurate than you would find in most stores and they do use good quality materials in their mattresses but it’s also true that some of the information on their videos is not completely accurate. They just may not know some of the more specific details of the many types of latex or other materials that are available. I would say his degree of knowledge is well above average but in some cases where someone feels strongly about what they do it’s easy to make “blanket” or “overly broad” statements that are mostly true even though they are not completely true. For example there is some continuous pour Dunlop being made by Mountaintop that is 100% natural latex and has no synthetic at all that is also a very high quality material. Synthetic latex is also a high quality material and is “safe” according to Oeko-Tex standards. I would also doubt that most of the Dunlop latex being made is 98% rubber although the exact percentages are usually not available. While it’s also not technically correct to say that latex is the “sap” of the rubber tree … it’s certainly “close enough” to give people the idea of where it comes from so this is a commonly used description that for most people would be “good enough”.

None of this would cause me to question someone’s sincerity, integrity, or business practices because I believe you would be throwing the baby out with the bath water in most cases. There are few enough people who are trying to provide accurate and meaningful information to their customers and most of them won’t be 100% accurate in what they know or believe.

All mattresses will go through an initial break in period where the cover stretches a bit and loses its initial stiffness, and the foams lose some of their initial fimness but with latex this will be less than other materials and some people wouldn’t notice it at all. Most people will also go through an adjustment period with any new sleeping surface and this can also change how a mattress “feels” in the first few weeks even though it’s not because of the mattress itself. Either way … latex maintains more of it’s initial qualities for longer than any other foam but I don’t think it’s quite accurate to say there are no changes at all.

There are many business owners that tend to leave their customers alone because they prefer it after being “hovered over” in a chain store. They will tend to be available when needed but not interfere with their customers choices. Each person has their own approach and what works best for different people can vary. I think it’s safe to say that most people prefer to be left alone until they ask specific questions or need specific help but of course anything can go too far in one direction or another.

I would probably visit again with more detailed questions for him once you are clear about how you feel about your first experience. Some people just have a 'less is better" approach to customer service and in cases like this I would take the initiative to engage them in a conversation with the specific questions you have rather than waiting for them to volunteer information that some people may see as “intrusive” or “pressure”.

I think it’s like some personality types that don’t “interact” easily with some others and in cases like these it’s easy to jump to conclusions about someone’s approach to customer service that may not be accurate.

Thanks again for your feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix (yet again!).

You’re the epitome of diplomacy, without question.

I do understand the “less is more” concept of sales, and in most cases I appreciate it. I would, in this case, not have been nearly so irritated if Lee had been talking to another customer about a mattress as I was about a lengthy conversation concerning religion when I thought I seemed obviously in need of a bit of help - or at least, an “I’ll be over here, but if you have a question I’d be happy to help you”.

Then again, I’m not a people person myself, so I’m sure I should be more tolerant.

I will go back. After all, it is the product I’d be buying, and not a personality. At this point, I’m a bit puzzled as to exactly what questions to ask, and how to ask them in such a way that they generate as accurate an answer as possible.

I’m honestly at a loss when it comes to deciding between the two mattresses, the relatively soft and the softest. I know what I think I’d want if I could afford it - what he calls the Perfection 20 - 19-24 over a 23-27 core - but with the addition of the Perfection 16 top layer, a 16-18 top, making it a 12" mattress. I think that would give me the softness I crave but with a secondary soft layer and a firmer core.

Then again, if wishes were horses, I’m afraid I’d need a stable to house them all, which is a step beyond beggars riding.

Any suggestions you could give about what my further questions should be, and if there’s a best way to ask them in order to get the best possible answers, I’d appreciate your input. I know I need to ask about warranty, possibility of exchange if I’m unhappy with what I buy after getting it home. I also know there’s no changing his mind on some topics, such as the fact that I’m convinced the mattress will undergo some changes after I sleep on it at home for a while, though he insists that what I felt yesterday is what I’d feel a year from tomorrow, so I’ll steer clear of battles I know I can’t win.

All I really want to “win” in this case is to find the best possible sleeping solution at the best possible price. I didn’t have chance to ask if his published prices are at all negotiable, but I learned at my Daddy’s knee that it never hurts to ask, as long as one asks politely.

My husband was unable to help me figure out if my spine seemed to be in alignment, and that’s a very difficult determination to make when no one is being of any help. Is there a subjective feeling or an objective measurement that it’s possible to make to help figure that out? My husband did say I seemed to be lying more “in” the softest mattress, but “on” the next grade firmer.

Oh - and the cover he uses is not tight, so I would hope it wouldn’t stretch too much, and there is no initial stiffness on that cover - it is the softest bamboo I’ve ever felt, and since I have bamboo sheets and bamboo nightgowns, I’m pretty familiar with bamboo. To me, that cover is everything I could want in a cover for a latex mattress - just perfect.

Also, one last thing. On the softest mattress, I felt as though the middle of my body might be sinking so far into the mattress that I was feeling, just barely, the support layer underneath. Is this a bad thing?

I hate it when my ignorance shows, but sometimes learning requires putting it out there.

Hi Clawdia,

Part of this is of course because I wasn’t there but part of it is also because there are so many retailers that have so little knowledge and provide so little accurate information in the industry that I’m actually happy when I see one that is say 80% accurate and can easily overlook the 20% where they aren’t because 80% is so much better than what most people are given.

There really aren’t too many questions left to ask except about their policies for exchanging or fine tuning the mattress if it turns out that your testing didn’t “predict” your longer term experience on the mattress. You already know the materials that are in the mattress and they are good quality and besides testing for PPP that’s really all that you need to know to make an informed decision and make good comparisons to other options that may be available to you.

If you are undecided between two different comfort levels that are fairly close I would tend to go with the firmer because it’s much easier to make a mattress that is too firm softer with a topper than it is to make a mattress that is too soft any firmer (unless you remove and replace layers). Of course this would also depend on any exchange policies they offered. You can always add a topper as a second step as well.

I completely agree that it never hurts to ask and it can also help if you have a couple of other similar options to compare them to. Many local manufacturers offer their best price every day and don’t have sales but “value” is always relative to what other similar mattresses that are also available to you. There is more about “negotiating” in post #6 here.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen these but the links to the testing guidelines in post #1 here should be helpful and includes some of the objective and subjective signs and cues to look for.

It sounds like a great cover and it’s unlikely that it will need “breaking in” although it may stretch a bit over time.

If it leads to pressure issues then possibly but I can’t feel what you feel so you would need to use your “best judgement”. I would remember that more subtle “cues” that you feel when you are testing can be amplified when you sleep on the mattress over the course of the night. I would also remember that in many cases people tend to choose a little softer than they really need or that is best for them.

I would keep in mind that you probably know more meaningful information about mattresses than the majority of people who sell them in mainstream stores across the country :slight_smile:

Phoenix

When I got down to my final choices I went to the store dressed as close to being in my pj’s as possible. I also brought my ipad and tried using that while on each of the mattresses I had been considering. The sample pillows were different types so I rearranged those until I found a combo I liked for both laying down and reading and watching tv in bed. I ended up spending nearly three hours in the store. My husband noticed that when I layed on one of them I would gravitate to sitting while talking much faster than i did while on the other.I wish I had thought to bring my pillows to the store. I ended up buying latex pillows because I knew I was comfy on the bed in the store and am very happy with them. It is such a hard decision. I hope that you end up as happy as we did.

Hi Wavycat,

That’s great advice … and I only wish that more people did the kind of testing that you did to “simulate” your sleeping environment instead of spending just a few minutes on a mattress :slight_smile:

I know it can seem “odd” to spend that much time in a store relaxing (or even taking a nap) on a mattress but the choice people make will affect how they sleep and how they feel for the next decade or so and it’s well worth taking all the time needed to make the final choice the best one possible.

Phoenix

I intend to follow every bit of Wavycat’s advice - it all makes good sense! I had on a pair of pants that interferred somewhat with how the Sleep Essentials mattresses felt last week, and I won’t make that mistake again.

I think I will make the effort to go down to Greensboro to try out a PLB, although I probably wouldn’t want to buy from that store. They have a pretty bad reputation locally, but since I’ve never had the opportunity to lie down on a talalay mattress, it seems like a good idea in spite of how much I like the feel of the dunlop. At this point, I guess it is just hard for me to imagine that I’d like anything better, but you never know until you try.

I’ve yet to see anyone say anything positive online about the store in Greensboro that sells the PLB, but if they have one on display (I’d call before going) I think I would like to see what the difference feels like.

Phoenix - is roughly $2000 within what you’d think a reasonable price range for an all natural dunlop 9" mattress of the quality like I’ve looked at in Roanoke? I know it’s higher than some online retailers, and I know it’s a lot on a personal level for me to spend, but I also know that a good mattress is one thing that can prove to be well worth the price, within reason.

Hi Clawdia,

I would always be cautious when I see that most of the mattresses that a store carries is major manufacturers but if you keep focused on why you are there and “ignore” some of the “help” that may come your way you should be fine :slight_smile:

“Value” always depends on each person’s personal value equation and on what a mattress is being compared to but overall I would say this is good local value yes and is much better value than the vast majority of mattresses that most consumers end up purchasing.

Phoenix

I thought that price range as good as I’d be likely to get for natural Dunlop latex of good quality in a great cover. Found the listed price of $2100 includes foundation, which I don’t need as I intend to use the foundation I use with my waterbed. Actual price out the door for 100% Dunlop, queen, is $1800. Even better.
Tax free and tax deductible since I have a doctor’s signed script for a bed with no flame retardant.

His comfort exchange concession is that if I buy a bed that’s too hard after trying it for up to 30 days, he’ll sell me a softer topper for half price. For my particular needs/wants, that’s good enough for serious consideration since what I really think I most want is a 12" mattress, ranging from softest on top, soft in the middle, medium on the bottom, and that’s exactly what this deal would get me, for very close to the $2100 total out the door that I thought I’d be paying for just the 9" mattress, with no obligation to go that route until after I try the next to softest bed. I do think I want to end up lying more in the bed than on the bed, but the ability to add the topper would fix that, I’m pretty sure, now that I’ve tested the beds.

I was having a problem deciding between those 2 beds, even knowing I could always add a topper, but the problem was I sure I couldn’t afford a $2100 bed and a $600(±?) topper . . . but if the whole set up ended costing me less than $100 more than what I’d planned to spend, well, seems too good to be true that I could perhaps have my cake and eat it, too.

At that level, I can’t even beat it online by enough to matter versus the benefit of a local dealer with a product I’ve actually tried and liked, who delivers it right to the bedroom. Unless I misunderstood Lee, the bed is delivered already assembled and ready to go.

His warranty is 12 years. I know too much about warranties, anyway. It’s fine.

That’s the plan right now, anyway; and whereas a small part of me says I should go try the PLB , I also know that no matter how good a price I could get on one, it would still be several hundred dollars more than what I know the good quality Dunlop costs. Dunlop was what I loved years ago, and lying down on both the beds I seriously tested was a comfortable and comforting experience, validation that what I remember from years ago as feeling wonderfully comfortable really is true, latex really is wonderfully comfortable to me - not just a nostalgic fondness.

If there were ever someone with the “princess and the pea syndrome”, I confess it’s
me. I’m a hedonist, and that extends particularly to physical comfort.

When I stop and think about whether I should buy the first mattress I’ve seen up close and personal, I hesitate; then, I think why should I drive myself nuts, spending lots of money on gas not to mention time and fatigue, when I think I’ve already found just what I was looking for, from a nearby seller with a product with which I can find no fault? As the hours go by, more and more I think I should just go back to Roanoke tomorrow and buy the 20 Perfection mattress, knowing I’ll have the option of adding a softer topper if I need it, and be happy with the whole experience.

That just might make this one of the least painful mattress buying experiences I’ve read about, providing what I think might well be the perfect mattress for me really is as great as I think it will be.

I hope I can at least get a free pillow. I love pillows. :wink: