Looking for advice on Mattresses

Hi,
My wife and I are looking to replace our mattress and box spring. We currently have an older Marshall that was given to us, it is a great mattress but it is too soft. I am a side sleeper and my wife is a back or stomach sleeper. I have back and neck issues.
We went out yesterday and visited a few bigger stores and left slightly confused and we have been looking online for answers and suggestions. We are looking for a tight top firm mattress (coils, not foam). We are not looking for a cheap mattress, quality and longevity of comfort is most important.
With the Stearns and Foster line what is the main difference between their collection types (sold at different retailers)?
Is Kingsdown a quality mattress? Is there better models within their lineup?
We looked at new Marhall’s but they were too soft.
I read about Saatva but I don’t want to but something I can not view in a showroom.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

"Hi Ford,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I think you are on a good path identifying coil mattresses as your preferred support and seeking value in your purchase. A lot of your choice will come down to picking a bed with a high quality comfort layer that stays within your budget. As I prefer not to comment on other mattress brands at a macro level, perhaps Sensei or Phoenix can provide more insight. Good luck on your mattress shopping journey!

Hey Ford,

Welcome to the TMU Forum and thanks for your question.

Congrats on your mattress shopping journey :cheer: ! Thanks to trusted member Quality Sleep Shop for offering their insights and indeed, sounds like you’ve identified coil support construction as your preference. As you probably know, Marshall Mattress founder James Marshall invented the pocketed coil as we know it today with his “Marshall Unit”. This system utilizes steel coils individually covered in fabric, allowing for independent movement of each “pocket coil” in the support layer. For others who may be following your research, TMU’s “coil types” overview Mattress support cores - Innersprings is a good reference for understanding innerspring mattress design.

Glad to hear you are making store visits, an integral part of understanding the “feel” of the layering and components that no amount of research, reviews and opinions can give to anyone individually, as what You feel in terms of preferences/ PPP can only be felt by You. For more thoughts regarding mattress materials/ layering “feel”, Five steps to your perfect mattress- Initial feel is a good resource. Questions for you: can you describe a little more about your current Marshall construction, aside from being “too soft” and what size mattress/ box spring are you replacing? Do you have any updates on your store visits, it has been a short while since your post (and apologies too for the delayed response). Also, I’m moving your question to the General Forum where others can comment and follow your process. Looking forward to hearing more details.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi,

Our current mattress and box spring is a queen size. The mattress is a tight top flip able Marshall. They are sitting on a cheap basic metal frame. We plan on replacing the frame with an Knickenbocker EmBrace frame so we have a great starting point. We are up sizing to a king size bed this time, we have a 75 lb dog that sleeps with us!!

https://www.knickerbockerbedframe.com/shop/product/sample-product/full-embrace-bed-frame/

We have been out a few more times and each time you second guess what you thought was good previously!!! We saw a couple of floor model Stearns and Fosters with the handles and the stitching coming off so we were taken aback by this. While in one of these stores a customer was in complaining about their Stearns and Foster sagging after 6 months.

We liked this Hotel Collection model from The Bay. It is an Aireloom product manufactured in the Marshall factory.

https://www.thebay.com/hotel-collection-paradise-copper-tech-firm-tight-top-mattress-set/product/0600091041330?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302024015&R=400910433125&P_name=Hotel+Collection&N=4294966308+302024015&bmUID=n0b3fuI

It seems like buying a mattress is a bit of a crap shoot as it is hard to tell by laying on one for 15 minutes!

Thank you in advance!

Hey Ford,

Thanks for the updates!

The Knickerbocker emBrace frame is indeed a good choice for your king size mattress upgrade and weight support of your 75 lb canine family member :). You can read more about Phoenix and other consumer subscribers thoughts on Knickerbocker emBrace on post #2 Bed Frame- Anyone have experience with the Knickerbocker emBrace?".

The Hotel Collection model’s brief specs from the Hudson’s Bay web site does mention a tight top pocket coil construction and a “firm” comfort feeling, both features you have stated previously as part of your sleep preferences (not personally familiar with this mattress and the retail site doesn’t offer many details). To your point, while store visits and mattress testing are “hard to tell by laying on one for 15 minutes”, they are important parts of the mattress shopping process, saving you time, money and frustration in the future. Also mentioned on the retailer’s site was a “60 Day Satisfaction” policy, making it easier to try the mattress in home for a period of time. You should request in writing what the exchange/ return policy terms are, what additional fees may apply, etc. Good luck on your continued research and looking forward to more updates…

Cheers,
Sensei

Hi,

I found some further information from a US supplier of these mattresses. There is a video of the materials and construction.

Thanks!

I went back to The Bay and they gave me this brochure.

Hey Ford,

Thanks for the check in :slight_smile: .

Not seeing a video here with this post, only the Macy’s Hotel Collection product information page. Have you made any other store visits to try the mattress again? What did Hudson Bay confirm in regards to their “60 Day Satisfaction” exchange/ return policy?

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi,
The video is on the left side of the screen where the photos are, scroll down through the photos.
As for the 60 day policy, it states:
[color=black]"Mattresses and/or box springs may be returned within 14 days of delivery as long as they’re undamaged and in the original packaging.

Otherwise, after a 30-day in-home adjustment period, but prior to 61 days from the date of delivery of your mattress and/or box spring, Hudson’s Bay will gladly provide you with a one-time exchange to correct comfort issues, whether for mattress comfort or box spring height. Please note that delivery charges will apply to your new selection."[/color]
Yes we have been back to look at the Kingsdown selection at Sleep Country and back to the Bay to look at the Hotel collection.
Thank you!

Hey Ford,

Thanks for sharing your research details with the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Sounds like you are narrowing your choices down and perhaps closer to making a decision.

Thanks too for pointing out the play vid button in the left picture pane, have no clue how I totally missed that, lol. The Hotel Collection by Aireloom seems to check off boxes you mentioned in previous posts: a firm, tight top mattress with pocketed coils of quality construction. It’s a little on the pricier side for some folk’s taste but within your planned purchase criteria, having mentioned “not looking for a cheap mattress” earlier, with “cheap” as in a “lower quality” materials/ construction. Good that you have confirmed Hudson’s Bay’s comfort exchange option, that would give you confidence should you decide to purchase from them, providing you are okay with what the delivery charges involved may be, also worth clarifying. At this point, you have tried the Aireloom mattress several times; how does it “feel” in regards to your neck and back issues?

Good job on the store visits and comparison shopping :cheer: ! Just curious, based on your personal comfort/ PPP, what were your thoughts on the Kingsdown Select “feel” vs that of the Aireloom Hotel Collection ? Looking forward to more updates whenever you have time to check in.

Cheers,
Sensei

Hi,
Laying on the Hotel Collection (maybe about 15 minutes each time) seems fairly firm and so I think the back should be well supported and the neck should be fine with a proper pillow.

The Kingsdown that we looked at was similar as it is a tight top. They seem to focus on their spring count (~2700). It felt comfortable but I would say the edge collapsed a little further then the one at the Bay when sitting on the edge. It is hard to tell without having them side by side though.
We also looked at a Simmons Beautyrest at Sleep Country and it seemed firm as well.
As far as price most of the ones we have looked at have been in the same price range. I have resolved myself to believe that this is only a temporary purchase…hopefully it will last and be comfortable for 5 years and if that is the case it works out to $0.90 each per night (based on 335 sleeps nights per year over the 5 years). I used to think that mattresses and appliances etc would last a life time but that is wishful thinking.

Thank you!

We have ordered the Hotel Collection King set with the Embrace frame. I will update after a few months to see how it is performing.

Hey Ford,

Good to see you back at the TMU forum and thanks for the check-in.

We have ordered the Hotel Collection King set with the Embrace frame. I will update after a few months to see how it is performing.

Congrats on your new mattress purchase :cheer: ! Know you have worked hard and researched your options thoroughly as well as made numerous calls and store visits to better approximate your preferences/PPP among the different choices of interest. Looking forward to hearing more updates following your in-home sleep trial.

Thanks,
Sensei