Looking for an inexpensive quality mattress

Hello everyone,
I have been looking for a mattress for a while and i cannot seem to decide on one. I went all over the internet and the local stores and I finally found this forum. Best place ever:))) This is like the holy grail for finding a mattress. Thank you Phoenix!!!
My biggest problem is that I just can’t make a decision. I go back and forth but the reality is that I am on a budget.
A little bit about myself. I am 5’8" 185 lbs, back and side sleeper. I have back problems, that have been haunting me for the last 4 years. I wake up sore in my current mattress, which is cheap and 3 years old memory foam. It was good for about 1.5 years but that was it. That’s why I want a quality memory foam.
From what I have tried so far, I really like:

1. Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze
  2. Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
  3. Icomfort Savant
    I was set on the Select foam Regalis HD but then I remembered that I am on a budget.
    Could you please help me find the perfect bed for me. It doesn’t have to last 25 years. 5 years of quality sleep is all I expect.
    Thank you in advance,
    Krasen

Hi Krasen,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you choose a mattress that is the best match for your unique needs and preferences.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of.

If you do decide to make an online purchase and you are committed to memory foam (which it appears is your preference since all the mattresses you mentioned are memory foam mattresses) then post #12 here includes some of the better online sources of memory foam mattresses I’m aware of in a wide range of budgets.

Many of them compare their mattresses in terms of “feel”, comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment to some of the more well known brands. This is most often Tempurpedic but sometimes some of the other larger manufacturers such as the Serta iComfort line or the Sealy Optimum line as well so you can test a local mattress that is a good approximation of one their mattresses to make sure it is suitable for you in terms of PPP. Some good local testing in addition to a more in depth conversation on the phone are important parts of the success of an online purchase.

I would first narrow down which of the three mattresses you mentioned is the best match for you using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. This way you will have a single reference point as a target instead of many. If you choose one of the Tempurpedics then you would have more options to choose from (because more of the online manufacturers and retailers use tempurpedic as a reference point than any of the other commonly available memory foam mattresses) but some manufacturers also use other mattresses as well (such as the Brooklyn Bedding iPedic Saviour which is an approximation of the iComfort Savant).

If you only need a mattress to last you 5 years then 4 or 5 lb memory foam would be fine in terms of durability and you don’t need to focus on the highest density memory foam in the 7 or 8 lb range.

I would also make sure though that you don’t choose a mattress that is on the edge of having comfort layers that are too thick or soft for good alignment because if you do then even a little bit of foam softening can put you over the edge in terms of support and even if the mattress isn’t worn out and may still be fine for someone else with a different body type, it may not continue to provide the support you need to keep you in good alignment (see post #2 here). All mattresses will soften over time so I would make sure that if you have choices that are approximately equal that you choose the one that is just a little firmer rather than a little softer so it still has some “room” to remain suitable in terms of PPP after it softens a little as this can also make a difference in the useful life of a mattress.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

Thank you for the fast response and all the help. I read the website and a lot of the post thoroughly. I have decided on memory foam because I don’t have the option of trying latex where I live and because latex is more expensive overall. I live in the Aspen area, in the heart of the Rockies. My zip is 81615. Denver is 200 miles away which makes it hard to go there on a whim. But if you have some suggestion for retailers around me I will try to visit them.

The bed that I liked the most from the limited inventory that we have around here was the Rhapsody Breeze by far. The Rhapsody was too hard for me and was creating pressure points in my shoulder blades. i think that most of my weight is centered in my middle section so I was sinking more there, while my upper body was staying kinda afloat. With the Rhapsody Breeze this wasn’t an issue for some reason.

In a similar manner I liked the cloud luxe breeze far better than the cloud luxe.

I also liked the Icomfort savant so the ipedic savior might be a good option. Or maybe the ipedic genesis because its a bit firmer. I really don’t know!!!

I made a list of the most affordable quality options for me and I would love to hear your opinion.

1. Dreamfoam ultimate dreams 13"
  2. Select foam Select hd conform
  3. RMM do it your self sensus 8"
  4. RMM sunrise 8"
  5. RMM SUNDANCE 10"
  6. BB IPEDIC GENESIS 10"
  7. BB IPEDIC SAVIOR 11"

If you have any other suggestions for me I would love to hear them.
Thank you,
Krasen

Hi Krasen2013,

I’m happy to help with how to choose, to identify any potential weak links in a mattress, or to help you eliminate any of the worst choices but the specifics of what to choose are up to each person to decide. There is no “theory at a distance” that can choose a specific mattress for you and your best odds are to follow all the steps in the tutorial post one by one.

The first step I would take is to narrow down the choices you have tested locally to one so you can use a single mattress as your reference point. No matter what the quality or value of a mattress, if it isn’t a suitable match for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP then it would have little value to you.

Next I would have a more detailed conversation with each of the online retailers or manufacturers you are considering that has a mattress that is a reasonable approximation for that mattress so you can draw from their knowledge and experience with their mattresses. You can read more about the different ways one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but since budget is a primary issue for you and the useful life of the mattress is less important I would focus more on a mattress that is a good approximation in terms of feel, and PPP rather than one that matches the exact design and density of each layer which may be more costly. Any return or exchange policy may also be an important part of your personal value equation.

Once you have narrowed down your choices to “good and good” (which you have because all of the mattresses you are considering are from the online memory foam list and are good quality/value) … then post #2 here has some guidelines about making final choices.

There isn’t a list for the Aspen, CO area in the forum so over the course of the next few days as I have the time I’ll take a look at some of the retailers in the area to see which of them may be among the better options or possibilities in the general area although the options that are close to you appear to be fairly limited.

Phoenix

ADDED: I looked at the stores within a 100 mile radius of Aspen and these are the better options and possibilities that I could see (subject of course to being able to find out the specifics of their mattresses). I’ve also included the brands they carry that I would focus on that you are more likely to be able to find out the type and quality of the materials and components inside them.

Denver Mattress® - The Easiest Way to Get the Right Mattress Glenwood springs, CO. Regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a wide range of mattresses including latex, memory foam, and innersprings that use higher quality materials. They are open and transparent about the materials they use but I would focus only on the mattresses they make and not the major brands they also carry.

http://www.afwonline.com/ Glenwood Springs, CO. They carry Therapedic in a range from lower end to several gel memory foam (no latex). They told me they will call the factory for foam specs if asked.

http://www.coloradomattresscompany.com/ Minturn, CO. I talked with Bob Rollins here and they sell a range of Sherwood mattresses including memory foam and latex hybrids which are generally in a better quality/value range than most mainstream mattresses. He is more knowledgeable than most about foam quality specs and mattress materials and said he will provide the information that his customers need to make informed choices.

These are the better possibilities I could see out of over a dozen stores I looked at and/or talked to in the general area.

Hey Phoenix,

I have finally narrowed my choices down to 3 (4).

1. SELECT FOAM REGALIS HD 12"

PROS:

• its the bed that I want most, based on specs and the fact that I have a bad back and I like the rhapsody breeze.
  • I like the support - 7 lbs and 5.3 lbs memory foam in the comfort layers
  • 2.5 lbs density of the base foam
  • free shipping both ways

CONS:

• it’s more that I want to pay $1376 with all discounts
  1. BROOKLYN BEDDING IPEDIC GENESIS 10"

PROS:

• it’s in my price range $850
  • 2 free pillows
  • 2.17 lbs base foam
  • Mario was super helpful

CONS:

• the comfort layers are 4 lbs density
  • I’m not sure about the feel of the bed
  1. SELECT FOAM CONFORM SELECT 10"

PROS:

• 2.5 lbs density of base layer
  • 5.3 lbs density of comfort layers

CONS:

• a bit more expensive than the other “value” options at $950 with discounts
  • don’t really know about the feel of the bed
  1. ROCKY MOUNTAIN MATTRESS SUNDANCE 10"

PROS:

• Bayer foam
  • good deal at $853 with discounts
  • 2 free pillows
  • free upgrade to 2.4 lbs density of the base layer

CONS:

• cant get basic idea of how it would feel
  • one layer of comfort foam with only 4 lbs of density
  • I have to pay for return shipping

Any ideas?

I know that nobody can pick for me but any input would be helpful.

If anyone has experience with any of these beds please help.

Thank you,
Krasen

Hi Krasen2013,

I think you’ve identified the pros and cons that are important to you and your final choices are all between “good and good” so from this point your final choices would be up to your personal value equation.

The only thing I can see that you may have missed (or at least didn’t mention) is that the iPedic Genesis is similar to the iComfort Genius so you can test a local mattress that is a reasonable approximation.

So I would probably suggest testing the Tempurpedic Rhapsody (similar to the Regalis), the iComfort Genius (similar to the iPedic Genesis), the Contour Select (similar to the Conform Select) and ask Rocky Mountain about which mainstream mattress would be a good reference point for their Sundance. These are all very different mattresses and by knowing which mainstream mattresses are the closest comparison you can use your local testing in addition to your conversations with each manufacturer to decide which would be the best match for you in terms of PPP which in my mind would be one of the most important parts of your choice.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,
I just pulled the trigger on the BB GENESIS.
It’s going to be about a week before I get it but I will keep you updated.
Mario was awesome in explaining everything to me and he was part of the reason why I went with Brooklyn bedding.
Thank you for your help and guidance.
Krasen

Hi Krasen2013,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback. You may be the first on the forum to share your experience with the iPedic Genesis which is one of their newest lines.

Phoenix