Looking for an innerspring or latex mattress in the Chicago area

I want to replace my 28-year-old “luxury firm” Sealy Posturpedic mattress with a high quality queen-size innerspring or latex mattress; I don’t like memory foam mattresses.

I visited some local retailers and liked the following mattresses:

Beautyrest Black Ella luxury firm queen set, $2,519 at abt (it was $1,998 during the Labor Day week sale and on clearance because abt is discontinuing carrying the Beautyrest Black line).
It is a 13.5" one-sided tight-top innerspring mattress with 5.5" of various polyurethane foams in its quilt/comfort/support layers, and an 850 13.5-gauge pocketed coil innerspring (the Ella plush model has same quilt/padding/support polyurethane foam layers but has an 850 14.75-gauge pocketed coil innerspring, and did not feel supportive enough to me). I am concerned about the durability of its polyurethane foam layers and its value because of its high price which is price-controlled by Simmons.

Pure LatexBliss natural Beautiful queen set, $2,999 at Bed & Mattress Furniture Gallery.
It is a 12" one-sided all-latex mattress with a 3" 21 ILD blended Talalay latex top layer, a 3" 24 ILD blended Talalay latex middle layer, and a 6" 36 ILD blended Talalay latex support layer. The thinner PLB 8" Pamper and 10" Nature mattresses felt too firm to me. The salesman indicated he could discount the PLB Beautiful, but I do not know by how much. I was also concerned that some consumer forum members who loved the PLB Beautiful in the showroom, complained of back pain from lack of support when they bought it and slept on it.

I stopped by Quality Sleep Shop / My Green Mattress in La Grange, IL earlier this week. Their innerspring mattresses seemed to be much better values than the more familiar nationally advertised brands, while their all-latex mattresses were priced closer to the Pure LatexBliss mattresses than to the assemble-it-yourself mattresses from Arizona Premium Mattress (I am leery of buying a mattress online that I have not tried out in person). I am planning to revisit Quality Sleep Shop/My Green Mattress and talk to Tim about finding the right mattress for me.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Hi MarkG,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here is the best place to start your research and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices … and avoid the worst ones (including any of the Simmons, Sealy, and Serta mattresses or any other manufacturers that won’t disclose the quality of the materials in their mattresses).

You are the second person today from Chicago and the better options in the area I’m aware of are listed in posts #2 and #4 here (which you may have seen as well). One of these … Quality Sleep / MyGreenMattress is a member here, is completely transparent about the materials in their mattress, and has among the best quality, service, and value in the country. Tim is also great to deal with.

Their latex mattresses are two sided which is a more costly construction and somewhat unusual and unlike most of the online options and the PLB mattresses as well. If I was in the Chicagoland area they would be the first and quite probably the last place I would visit.

Phoenix