Looking for assurance that we've ordered the right thing...

Hi Sleepy1,

I have medium over firm and my husband has firm over xtra firm. The top is a solid soft layer. I really love the feel of the bed, but I’m wondering if my side is a little too soft for me. I’m going to give it some time to adjust though because some of it might be due to the fact that our old bed was really hard. If it still feels too soft after a couple of weeks, I’ll try putting the firm on top of the medium and see how that goes.

Thank you for your sheet recommendation! I would be hesitant to buy them otherwise without knowing about the quality and how well they wear. They look like a great deal and perfect for spring!

Well, your back will tell you if it’s too soft. :slight_smile: Though Phoenix always says to allow some time for your body to adjust. I know I worried ours was too soft; not because I was having back problems–far from it–but just because it felt so incredibly soft and I’d always slept on hard beds.

I think that’s exactly what’s going on for me!

I hope so! I mean I hope it turns out that latex is just doing it’s magic of being heavenly soft while at the same time supportive. A tip: around 3 weeks in, I did notice my hips sinking into the top talalay layer, but simply switching it around so it breaks in more evenly seems to have fixed the problem.

And BTW, I went online to order some more of those modal sheets before they go up in price–I figure once they catch on they’re bound to get more expensive–and sure enough it’s now $35 for a queen set. Still going to order a second set. If you do try them, I’ll be curious to see how you like them. :slight_smile: I really want Phoenix to try them; they’re just so perfect over latex.

Good luck and definitely keep us posted.

I just followed your link for the sheets and they don’t have them in king size :frowning: I’ll check at Walmart next time I’m there- maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll be at the store. I know you said you have the St. Dormier cover on order- do you have a different wool cover on your mattress now? We just have the stretch cotton cover that came with our bed. I can’t wait for the St. Dormier cover to arrive!

Hi Aimee,

I think that Sleepy1’s comment would be the same as mine which is … “your back will tell you if it’s too soft” and of course to make sure you give yourself time to get used to a different type of sleeping surface that is very different from what you were used to sleeping on.

Latex is very elastic and “point elastic” which means that it takes on the shape of your body and relieves pressure very well and can feel softer than it really is. This is part of the reason why it can be both soft and “supportive” at the same time. It depends on why you think it may be too soft and whether this is based on “theory” (the belief that firmer is better for example which isn’t necessarily accurate), based on “symptoms” (such as back pain or discomfort) or based on preferences (where you just prefer the “feel” of something firmer).

@Sleepy1,

Between you and some of the other forum members suggestions or comments … and of course my own research and curiosity about many products … I’m developing quite a list of products I “need” to own. If I bought them all I could probably end up with enough stock to open a store :slight_smile:

I’ll run it by the “bedding boss” though and see what she says and where it ends up on the list of “need to haves”.

Phoenix