Looking for budget mattress

Hi There,

I am 5’10 170 lbs mainly stomach but also side sleeper. I have had the same spring mattress for a number of years that is beginning to sag and have been using this site to look at my options. I am from Canada and looking for more of a budget mattress. After contact Douglas mattresses, they recommended since I am a stomach sleeper and most likely used to a firmer mattress, that the Brunswick mattress would most likely be a better fit as it is a combo spring/foam mattress and the douglas mattress would be too soft.

Here is the link: https://www.brunswickbed.ca/shop/brunswick-spring-mattress/

they look to be affiliated with Novosbed as well which I know used to be a trusted member here. The density specs on this bed are as follows:

The first layer of foam is 3/4" of a cooling gel foam that has a density of 1.8 lbs. Followed by a 1" layer of cooling gel foam with a density of 2.5". Then by a Memory foam that is 1.5lbs.

I was just wondering if you might be able to provide some thoughts on this mattress as well as any other budget mattresses that could be good to look into.

I have also been looking at the MFC HD and HR foam mattresses as well.

Thanks

Hi jh101992,

You may want to read this first (if you haven’t already). TMU recommends that the memory foam layers be at least 4 to 5lb density for increased durability. Here are more guidelines for purchasing memory foam in post #10 here

A 6" HD or HR mattresses in firm is suited for stomach or back sleepers.
If you occasionally sleep on your side then a 2" topper (memory foam, latex or HR foam) will help reduce pressure points on hips and shoulders. Both the 2 lb HD and 2.75 HR will provide exceptional support it’s important to note that the HD will be a little stiffer, and the HR a little more resilient.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

Thanks for the quick reply. I am curious, is the topper definitely recommended? I spend majority of my time on stomach but occasional side sleeper. Curious if it will drastically change the feel of the entire mattress if I do not have one for this mattress. Thanks.

Hi jh101992,

I suggest you try the HD or HR mattress as is, and if you find you need one in the future, then you can pick one up then,

All the best
Mario