Looking for details on: Golden Mattress 6" Latex Reflection Mattress

I took my wife to a different mattress store today and they had a much nicer selection of latex mattresses than the last place. We tried out a few and found the Golden Mattress 6" Latex Reflection to be the most comfortable. The label didn’t say much and neither does the manufactures website.

I’m wondering if anyone has any details on the makeup of this mattress. The person at the shop was the skeleton crew there just to hold down the fort. They didn’t have much information.

All I can find is:

Somewhat a continuation from here

Thanks

Hi msalerno,

The description you linked on their website has most of the specifications that you need (see here). You can see some general comments about Golden in post #2 here and the 6" Reflections mattress has 6" of 100% natural Dunlop latex over an 8" polyfoam support core (see posts #4 and #5 here) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. Depending on the retailer that sells it and assuming that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP … it would typically be in a relatively good “value” range.

Phoenix

Thanks again for the information. The only problem I can find with the Golden Mattress 6" Latex Reflection Mattress is that I can’t find any prices online. I don’t like making big purchases without having some kind of a baseline for pricing.

I’ve been searching all over the web but I can’t find anything.

Hi msalerno,

The “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to how it compares to other similar mattresses. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between your “finalists”.

There is also more in post #6 here about “negotiating” and making more meaningful pricing comparisons but the most effective approach would be to compare the mattress you are considering to other mattresses that have a similar design and materials regardless of the specific model or brand.

Phoenix

On 2 occasions I’ve attempted to contact Golden Mattress. The first time I was able to get someone on the phone to ask about certifications, specifically CertiPUR or Oeko-Tex. The gentleman who I was transferred to didn’t seem to understand what I was asking about and I got no answer about any kind of certification, however he did talk quite a bit about latex.

Now I’m on a mission to determine what is the ILD of their latex and I got bounced around to a few different extensions before I got hung up on (I believe by accident).

Are these odd questions to ask a mattress manufacturer?
I believe that the issue here is that they don’t sell directly to consumers

I really wish their website had more details.

Update:

Finally got through and got some helpful information.

Top layer is ILD 28
Core is ILD 34

Hi msalerno,

Most wholesale manufacturers don’t have a customer service department geared towards consumer enquiries so it would be much less common that they provide this information directly to consumers and this is more the norm than the exception with many wholesale manufacturers who rely on their dealers to field consumer questions who in turn usually have a direct contact line to their factory rep. Providing this type of information to consumers is primarily the responsibility of a retailer (although many mainstream retailers don’t have a great deal of knowledge about the materials in the mattresses they sell).

Their website already has more details about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses than the large majority of the wholesale manufacturers in the country so they do a much better job than most in this area.

ILD is a “comfort spec” and not a “quality spec” and isn’t important to know when you are testing a mattress in person because your body will tell you whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP much more than knowing the ILD or other “comfort specs” of the layers. Most people wouldn’t have the knowledge or experience to know how different combinations of materials with different ILD’s would work for them anyway and ILD alone isn’t the only spec that will affect the softness/firmness of a material or a mattress that uses it (see post #4 here). For most people, knowing the ILD of the layers would have no practical use and may be more confusing than helpful. There are many manufacturers that legitimately treat the ILD of their mattresses as proprietary information (see post #10 here).

Phoenix