Looking for Good Mattress in Toronto

First of all I just want to say Phoenix, you’re awesome for helping the world make a more informed mattress purchase. After reading through a lot of the resources on the site I’m pretty much the mattress master now, but I’m still confused about a few things that I want to hammer out before I make a purchase.

1.) I know I’m probably a soft comfort layer guy at 140 pounds / curveless and the fact that my past 2 mattresses (which, as I’ve learned, have been total pieces of crap) felt too hard. The problem is that I’m a stomach sleeper (hoping to convert tho) so what do I do about the comfort layer thickness?

2.) Do you have any recommendations for mattress shopping in Toronto with a $1500 budget?

3.) What do you think about this website: http://idealmattress.com/idealproducts/

It definitely seems more transparent than an IKEA… the problem is I really have no idea how many inches I need. You seem to be a big fan of latex, so by extension so am I, but I honestly have no clue about the materials other than that. Do you see any mattresses that look good?

Hi Mikeyy,

Thanks for the kind words … I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

The first place I would suggest starting your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

Post #2 here has links to some of the theory behind different mattress designs and how they relate to different body types and sleeping positions but these are just generic and not specific to any particular person. There are far too many unknowns, preferences, and variables for anyone to make a mattress choice for someone else out of all the thousands of mattresses available based on “theory at a distance”. I’m happy to help with how to choose but what to choose is up to your own research, testing, and personal value equation.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Toronto area are listed in post #1 here.

You can read some of my thoughts about Ideal Mattress Ltd in post #23 here and a forum search on Idealmattress (you can just click this) will bring up more as well.

Some of the Toronto threads that have some good feedback from forum members in the Toronto area (many of which also mention prices) are here and here and here and here and here and here and a forum search on Toronto (you can just click this) will bring up others as well that may help you make some good value comparisons.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s preferences (including mine) to make a mattress choice. Your own testing will tell you which types of materials you prefer and while there are many people who prefer latex … there are others who don’t like it at all. the “read first” post links to some basic information about the materials in mattresses but your own testing will tell you the type of materials and designs you prefer and do best with.

Phoenix

Appreciate the links. Most comprehensive “let me google that for you” post ever, haha. I feel kinda silly, I should have thought to use the forum’s search beforehand. And damn, Toronto has some bad ass mattress shoppers. Some of these reviews are incredibly insightful.

Hi Mikeyy,

There’s no need to feel “silly” at all and I have a long list of reference posts that I refer to and also have a good idea of the forum content hidden inside over 20,000 posts here and the search terms that will bring up the most relevant information so I certainly don’t mind helping you “cut through” some of the search results that can help you narrow down the information that is most important to you. I do this a lot every day and it’s part of my “role” :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your Toronto feedback and of course any questions you have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve spent several hours yesterday and today researching your site. I’ve learned a lot but am still confused and don’t know where to buy the mattress in Toronto.

I see you are listing Nature’s sleep in Canada, it’s great that they have good prices, but I am not sure if I can trust the retailer, after reading the forum about their company…

I am thinking to get a mattress from Soma or Dormio.

Could you please guide me what is the best option for my family.
My husband has a lower back pain and issue with his sinuses. He has problems sleeping , wakes up often during the night, had tried to solve his heath issues many times over the years but no luck. This is why we want to buy the good quality mattress.
My husband is 187lbs and 190cm. He likes firmer mattresses and sleeps on his side. I sleep on my stomach and am 57kg, 168cm, and don’t like the mattress to be too firm. However, I am ok to buy a mattress that better suites my husband’s needs since he has issues with his health.

Do you know what is the best mattress for us from Soma or Dormio stores? We probably don’t want to spend more than 2500$.

We are thinking that natural latex is the best, my husband likes when they add wool, and organic is very important for us. We probably don’t want any foam or coils.

These are examples of the mattresses they sell at Dormio:

http://dormio.ca/displayproduct.asp?pID=2&catid=12

At Soma we bought a mattress for our child a year ago, they have these:

http://www.somasleep.ca/Natura_Latex_Mattresses_Toronto.html

I would appreciate any advise from you. Love your site!

Hi Milutinovic,

[quote]Could you please guide me what is the best option for my family.
My husband has a lower back pain and issue with his sinuses. He has problems sleeping , wakes up often during the night, had tried to solve his heath issues many times over the years but no luck. This is why we want to buy the good quality mattress.
My husband is 187lbs and 190cm. He likes firmer mattresses and sleeps on his side. I sleep on my stomach and am 57kg, 168cm, and don’t like the mattress to be too firm. However, I am ok to buy a mattress that better suites my husband’s needs since he has issues with his health.[/quote]

While there are too may variables and unknowns for me to make specific mattress recommendations and only you can decide specifically what mattress to buy (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) … I’m certainly happy to help you with how to find the best choice for you. Post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices no matter which city you may live in.

Once you reach step 3 … some of the better options I’m aware of in the Toronto area are listed in post #1 here (including Somasleep and Dormio). There are also links to some of the forum threads from other members in the Toronto area in post #2 here which may also be helpful.

Once you have read the basic information and done some good testing to narrow down the finalists at each retailer or manufacturer where you have tested mattresses, then you will be in a good position to make final choices based on the specifics of each mattress you have tested (or are considering online).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

We have visited several stores in Toronto and decided to buy the Mattress at Soma Organic Mattress because John ( the owner of the store) will give us a good discount since we are returning costumers ( we bought a mattress for our child there).
We are deciding between two options:

1. Sleeptek’s 6" Natural Rubber Mattress
    Is constructed using a 6’’ zoneed natural rubber core, which comes in medium or firm support ( my husband first tought that he likes firm better, but now thinks medium is better). They then surround the rubber core with a thick wool quilting and finish the mattress in a luxurious organic cotton damask fabric. We are thinking to buy the 3’ wool topper too. The lady who was helping us said that we can go with or without topper. 1800$ with discount without topper.

2. Green sleep mattress ( same contruction just in medium support and different company):

http://www.somasleep.ca/Green_Sleep_Mattresses_Toronto.html

Do you think we are making an ok choice?
Thank you so much.

Hi Milutinovic,

The Sleeptek and the greensleep are very different mattresses so the differences in their options and the amount of latex they each use could make a difference in your choice.

The Sleeptek is a single 6" layer of dunlop with a wool quilted cver.

The Greensleep has 4 different layers that total 7.5" and the middle two can be customized for firmness as well as side to side.

If they are both the same price (which I would doubt) I would certainly go with the Greensleep between the two of them.

Both of these use good quality materials and don’t have any “weak links” but they are also both on the premium end of the budget range so they would be more suitable for consumers that aren’t as price sensitive or who don’t want to spend the time to find and test other options that use similar materials and components that sell for a fair bit less.

Phoenix