Looking for Latex in SE PA

New to the forum and learning a lot. Been wanting to replace our old spring mattress for a while now hoping it would help with my lower back pain. Now that my wife has decided she wants a bigger bed, there Isn’t anything holding us back from shopping for a new one.

I've already found answers to most of my questions about latex mattresses, but neither my wife nor I have ever slept on one.  Can anyone help us find retailers worthy of our business that are within an hour or so drive of 19380 zip?

Hi PAFred,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the West Chester area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Post #4 here also includes more options in the larger Philadelphia/Wilmington/Trenton region as well.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix.

My wife and I were able to test out some Savvy Rest latex configurations yesterday and it seems we’re closer in our preferences than we initially expected. She is 5’4" 125lbs and I am 6’ 175lbs. We both preferred (from bottom to top) F-M-M all layers Dunlop. I suspect I might have liked a very thin layer of softer material on top, but otherwise I think I need firmer layers than most: even on the top layer. We also tried M Talalay on top and thought it felt a little different, but by this time in our trials we couldn’t really tell if it was better or worse.

I’m pretty sure we’re going to want split layers just in case we have different opinions down the road. In fact, I only want a mattress with 8 to 10" of latex, but I’m considering a set up of 4, 3" split layers just so we can switch/fine tune things whenever we want.

I’m looking at SleepEZ and Flexus Comfort due to their similarity to the Savvy Rest mattresses we tested and I have a few questions about these brands…
Reading through the Flexus website it seems as though the top layer can be only talalay. Would a top layer of dunlop be available through Flexus?
Would the quilted cover from SleepEZ act as a thin soft top layer? More so than the stretch knit cover from Flexus?
Are there any differences in the other mattress materials from SleepEZ and Flexus? Specifically, do they both use Dunlop Latex from Latex Green?

I’d also like to visit Magic Sleeper (nearby latex vendors that was recommended) if we could find the time. According to their website they offer a solid 8" slab of M Dunlop as a mattress. I’ve read that dunlop latex is naturally firmer on the bottom because of the way that it settles during the curing process. Might this be comparable to the Savvy set up we liked? Is there any benefit to having one thick slab of Dunlop as opposed to 3 layers?

Another option I haven’t yet ruled out is the CozyPure Organic mattress from CozyPure. The organic version comes with a 6" zoned support core, which sounds like it could keep things more aligned than a mattress without zoning. Unfortunately the only way for us to test this would be to have it delivered. Also, if we decided to go that route, we would not be able to customize the layers like we would with the other brands. So this option is probably a long shot but I am still very curious about it nonetheless…

Hi PAFred,

As you know their standard configuration is a Talalay comfort layer but you could always give them a call and ask if they can replace it with Dunlop.

I don’t have any personal experience with any of their covers so I can’t speak to any of the specific differences between them (such as the amount of wool in each of them or any specific differences in the cotton fabrics) but the covers from Savvy Rest, SleepEZ, and Flexus are all cotton covers that are quilted with wool so they would at least be “similar”. Each of them would be able to provide you with more specific information about the details of their covers when you talk with them on the phone that can help you compare them. There are a few comments about how the SleepEZ cover compares to the Savvy Rest in post #31 here but I don’t know whether the Flexus cover is quilted with wool on one or both sides. With a quilted cover the stretch knit is usually on the top surface and the fabric backing on the other side of the quilting is usually a weave but again they can provide you with more specific information about each of their covers than I could.

SleepEZ and Flexus both use 100% natural Dunlop from Latex Green while Savvy Rest uses 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic and made by CoCo latex. There is more about certified organic Dunlop vs 100% natural Dunlop in post #6 here but in terms of feel, performance, and durability they would be very closely comparable if the layers are the same thickness and firmness/density.

If their mattress includes 8" of latex then there would be at least two layers of latex inside it because latex cores are only 6" thick (or sometimes less). The only way to know how comparable they would be in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would be based on your own personal testing and experience and it would depend on the specific firmness of each of the layers in the two mattresses you are comparing and on any significant differences in their covers.

There is more about the pros and cons of a single 6" layer vs two 3" layers in post #2 here.

They are certainly a great quality/value mattress as well. There are a few comments about it and some of the more specialized components it includes in post #8 here from yesterday.

Overall though … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include Flexus, SleepEZ, and Cozy Pure) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with (such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else (including me).

Phoenix

Thanks for the advice!

After reading more here about zoning I’ve become a lot more interested in the Cozy Pure mattress. It seems to me that for aligning the spine, zoning (with the middle third of the mattress being firmer) makes a whole lot of sense. Would zoning typically be more beneficial to a back sleeper than a side sleeper (when looking at the averages of course).

I called Cozy Pure today but the rep I spoke with wasn’t able to give me much insight into how their mattresses compare to the Savvy Rest set up that we liked. She did say that the bottom 6" zoned layer was in the “high 20s to low 30s” range of ILD which to me sounds softer than a Savvy firm+medium base. She did not know the ILD ratings for their 3" comfort layer.

I also haven’t been able to find many reviews of their mattresses. I’m not looking for firmness opinions here, but more general quality, customer satisfaction stories. If Cozy Pure had the history of a company like SleepEZ I might be a bit less hesitant in buying. Is there is anyone on the forum who has had a personal experience with a Cozy Pure mattress?

Hi PAFred,

A zoning system that is suitable for a particular person can be helpful for any sleeping position but it’s most helpful for more “challenging” situations or body types where for example a mattress may be a good match for you in one sleeping position (say soft enough for side sleeping) but isn’t as good a match for other sleeping positions (say too soft for back sleeping) because it can allow for more flexibility in layering with less risk of alignment issues.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but unless two mattresses have almost exactly the same design with the same type and blend of latex, the same layer thicknesses and firmness, and a functionally similar cover there really isn’t any way to know how closely two mattresses will approximate each other in “real life” for any particular person outside of your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

“Feel” is also very subjective and I would also be cautious using using a specific mattress as your “target” or reference point because it may not be the best possible match for you in the first place compared to other mattresses that you haven’t tried and you could end up excluding many other mattresses that may be different but could be a better choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Instead of using a specific mattress as a reference point I would rate every mattress you consider against a common set of criteria (rather than against another mattress) using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post and based on which one is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I don’t have any personal experience with their mattresses … as you know they are a member here which means that I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. I have also had many conversations over the years with Cheryl and I respect her knowledge and guidance and her passion for natural and organic materials and green manufacturing.

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased a mattress from them will see your post and share their comments about their experience but in the meantime a forum search on Cozy Pure (you can just click the link) will bring up all the comments and feedback in the forum posts that mention them.

Phoenix

Ok I think I’ll call Cozy Pure again tomorrow; maybe I’ll get the chance to speak with someone a little more knowledgeable.

Now at the top of my list is the “Hotel Collection” from Cozy Pure. It comes with 10" mattress, a latex topper, sheets, a cover, etc. AND it also comes with a 100 day guarantee. This is the only way they will accept a return of the mattress should it not work out for the customer (after trying any other modifications). Customer keeps and is not refunded for the other bedding extras and pays for return shipping of the mattress.

However, now that I have zeroed in on Cozy Pure, another contender has found its way into my brain. The Spindle mattress has zoning similar to Cozy Pure’s and it is over $1,000 cheaper. My main concern with Spindle is the lack of a split layer option.

Are there any other obvious differences here? Is the dunlop latex similar other than Spindle’s not being organic?

Money is not a determining factor by any means but for the amount of money I’d save by going with Spindle, I was actually thinking about cutting layers myself should the need arise. I am somewhat handy but Is this realistic?

Hi PAFred,

Spindle uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop and Cozy Pure organic comfort zone mattresses use organic molded Dunlop and both of them are very high quality and durable materials. The Spindle mattress also has a design that is somewhat similar to the Savvy Rest while Cozy Pure uses a different design that has different layering options and some more specialized materials and components in their mattress. Their zoning configuration is also different as well. Both of them would certainly be great quality/value choices even though they are very different.

If organic latex isn’t important to you then Cozy Pure also has their Natural Comfort Zone here which also uses 9" of 100% natural Dunlop and has “mild zoning” built into the wool quilted cover (instead of in the latex core) and which is also quilted on both sides of the mattress.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Just for reference … Flobeds also has a vZone mattress that includes custom zoning options that may be of interest as well.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a good choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Yes I did see that option available. I’m a little suspicious of the quilting having any effect on alignment of the spine though.

I dismissed FloBed early in my search due to our perceived preference of dunlop over talalay. After having another look I definitely like the way put their mattresses together, especially the vZone. Now I’m having second thoughts about the zoned layer in the Cozy Pure having as much of an effect on the bottom of the mattress. If I do order the Cozy Pure Hotel Collection I might try putting the 3" layer on the bottom, then the 6" zoned core with the LaNoodle topper over that…

Hi PAFred,

It would have a slight zoning affect but they will be able to provide you with more specifics. I mentioned it because it would be a closer “value” comparison to the Spindle that you were also considering.

The deeper layers of the mattress are where the zoning would be most important as far as alignment is concerned.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support/alignment” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

Phoenix

I ordered the Cozy Pure Hotel Collection a few days ago. The 3" top layer will be split with medium firmness on both sides (just to make it easier to exchange a layer should the need arise). It should arrive in a couple of weeks!

Hi PAFred,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great choice for a complete “sleeping system” and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

My wife and I have been sleeping on the Cozy Pure for almost a week now. I’m generally satisfied with the quality of the mattress and of the other products that come in the Hotel Collection. It’s very comfortable and falling asleep has been fast and easy.

I am, however, still waking up with back pain that fades a little throughout the day, but never completely goes away. The pain is slightly different though; it’s now more of a broad stiffness, whereas before it was more of a localized shooting pain. Perhaps it’s part of the adjustment process that comes with a new mattress.

Earlier in the thread I talked about the Savvy rest configuration that my wife and I both liked best… from bottom to top F-M-M, all dunlop latex. The Cozy Pure mattress we have now does not feel as firm as that one did. The Cozy Pure has from bottom to top a 6" zoned base layer, a 3" medium layer, and the LaNoodle topper (which is about 1" of latex in a very soft “noodle” form).

I’m now considering all of my options for firming up the mattress. There seem to be plenty of options, so I’m going to start with the easiest first…
1- Remove the LaNoodle topper and then see how the firmness compares to the Savvy Rest config.
2- Flip the entire mattress so that the 3" medium layer is on the bottom and the 6" zoned core is on top. Try this config with and without the LaNoodle topper.
3- Order a new 3" firm layer (which Cozy Pure offers one time at a wholesale price). Try the firm on top of the 6"zoned layer. Try this config with and without the LaNoodle topper.
4- Try the firm on the bottom of the 6" zoned layer. Try this config with and without the LaNoodle topper.

I am pretty happy with my purchase overall at this point. The Hotel Collection I believe is a good value and I still have a decent amount of options to customize the firmness of the mattress. I just hope I can find something that works well with the LaNoodle topper because it’s very comfortable…

Hi PAFred,

There will be an initial break in and adjustment period with any new mattress over the course of the first few weeks as the cover loses any of it’s initial stiffness, the foams lose any “false firmness”, and the materials settle in a little and your body adjusts to the feel of a new sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to although the length of time it takes can very from person to person and from mattress to mattress (see post #3 here).

With more durable materials like latex or with a mattress that is very different from what you have been used to sleeping on it can sometimes even take a little longer and since you have only been sleeping on your mattress for a week my first and “best” suggestion for the moment would be to “do nothing” for now until you have spent a few more weeks on your mattress (30 days is usually a good idea) before deciding on whether you need to make any changes or assessing your situation to help you decide on the type of changes to make. It can be surprising to many people how your sleeping experience can change over the course of the first few weeks.

If after 30 days if you are still experiencing “symptoms” that seem to be consistent and show a clear and consistent pattern that isn’t changing then that would be the best time to decide on the types of changes that will have the best chance of resolving any “symptoms” you are experiencing.

[quote]I’m now considering all of my options for firming up the mattress. There seem to be plenty of options, so I’m going to start with the easiest first…
1- Remove the LaNoodle topper and then see how the firmness compares to the Savvy Rest config.
2- Flip the entire mattress so that the 3" medium layer is on the bottom and the 6" zoned core is on top. Try this config with and without the LaNoodle topper.
3- Order a new 3" firm layer (which Cozy Pure offers one time at a wholesale price). Try the firm on top of the 6"zoned layer. Try this config with and without the LaNoodle topper.
4- Try the firm on the bottom of the 6" zoned layer. Try this config with and without the LaNoodle topper.[/quote]

You seem to have a good sense of the options you have available to fine tune the mattress if you end up needing to make any changes but for now I would avoid speculating too much about making changes or the types of changes that may be helpful and focus more on your sleeping experience and on how your symptoms “change” over the course of the next few weeks.

Now that you are actually sleeping on your mattress I would also tend to avoid comparing your mattress to your “memory” of the Savvy Rest because human memory of how a mattress “feels” based on testing is very subjective and short term and isn’t particularly reliable and you also don’t know how you would have slept on the Savvy Rest over the course of several nights or weeks so it may not even be the best reference point. When the time comes to consider making changes I would decide on any changes to your mattress based on your actual sleeping experience and the specific “symptoms” you are experiencing rather than on how your mattress compares to your memory of the Savvy Rest.

I would doubt that the Lanoodles topper would be an issue since it would have more of an effect on the surface feel and add some additional “cush” and pressure relief to your mattress but it wouldn’t have a significant effect on alignment so it isn’t likely to be the cause of your “symptoms” although your own experience and trial and error will always be a more reliable way to know for certain than “theory”.

When and if you decide that it’s time to make some changes I can certainly link you to some additional information about the most likely causes for the many different “symptoms” that people can experience on a mattress and on whether they are more likely to come from layers or a mattress that are too soft or too firm but the first step I would take if it becomes necessary is to talk with Cozy Pure because they will have more experience than anyone with fine tuning their mattresses based on their knowledge of their mattresses and on feedback from many customers over the years that are similar to you and they would be the most reliable source of guidance about the type of changes that would have the best chance of success out of all the options you have available.

Phoenix

I spoke with Hans from CozyPure and he’s going to order me a new 3" layer that is the next level up in firmness. It turns out our mattress already came with the firmest 3" layer that they have at their factory so he is special ordering me the new one.

So if you can recall we have the mattress with a 6" zoned layer… the 6" zoned layer will now be softer than the new 3" layer. What configuration would be most likely to relieve lower back pain?? We will still be using the LaNoodle topper because my wife won’t have it any other way. :slight_smile:

Lately I have been sleeping with a small pillow under my legs. Some mornings it seems that it helped me and other mornings I’m not so sure. Anyway I’m thinking of upgrading to something a little bigger like one of these wedges…

https://www.amazon.com/InteVision-Ortho-Wedge-Quality-Removable/dp/B008GQ04S8/ref=pd_sim_121_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KENSXRAWP5SBWF90AA8#Ask

Any thoughts on a product like that?

Hi PAFred,

While it’s not really possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns and variables involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can make the types of changes that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing.

The most common (but not the only) cause for lower back pain is a mattress that is too soft in one way or another and while I don’t have any way to know which configuration will work best for your back pain (each person is different) … with the new layer you would have 4 configurations to try to see which of them is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP. Your 4 options would be your zoned core with the medium latex on top (which is the one you are currently using), the same configuration with the medium layer underneath the zoned core, your new firmer layer on top of the zoned core, and your firmer layer underneath the zoned core.

The only way to know which of these would help most with your back pain the most would be by comparing your sleeping experience and your “symptoms” on each of them. I would probably start with your current configuration upside down (with the medium layer under the zoned core) so that you can try it while you are waiting for the firmer layer. I would also make sure to try any new combination for a few days at least so that you have a chance to identify any consistent patterns in your experience because your experience for just a single night or two can often be an anomaly or the result of your body adjusting to the change itself.

It’s very unlikely that the lanoodles topper will have any effect one way or the other on your back pain on any of the configurations so you would most likely be “safe” keeping it on all of your configurations…

If you are a back sleeper then sleeping with a pillow under your knees can certainly help to decompress the spine and help with lower back pain. The wedge would be higher than the pillow but the only way to know whether it will work better for you than a pillow will once again be based on your own personal experience because there really isn’t a way to predict for certain how any product will affect any specific person’s back pain. It may also be worth considering a thicker pillow or even two pillows to raise your legs a little higher to see if that makes a difference as well.

Phoenix