Looking for latex/latex-foam mattress in Washington DC

First, I want to thank you for this extremely informative site. I started my mattress search a month ago and I’ve been very confused until I found your website. I read all the tutorials and came to the conclusion that I would like to go for a latex mattress , and preferably latex with some memory foam in the middle area.

While on the internet I found sites for latex mattresses, I couldn’t find a company that combines both, say Talalay medium top, memory foam medium/firm middle, and two lower layers of dunlop firm and extra firm. Do such mattresses exist? I understand the latex helps with the temperature (which is important for me) and the ease to move (which is poor in a memory foam) the memory form allows better sinking in than the latex, and the dunlop latex provides the support needed.

I also would like to try one or two mattresses before buying. I couldn’t find stores selling latex mattresses in Washington DC, and when I tried the memory foam (e.g. Tempurpedic) I didn’t like the feeling, because of the difficulty to move. Are there any stores for latex mattresses in DC? If not, is it wise to buy online without having tried? I will move out of the coutry for an extended period end April. Therefore, the return policies would not help my case.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.
Talkoran

Hi Talkoran,

While it would probably exist somewhere … I don’t know of a mattress that matches your specific description off the top of my head. I would also be cautious about using criteria for a mattress that are so restrictive that it would exclude almost all of the mattresses that are available in the industry because there could be many mattresses that don’t match your specific criteria that could be a very good choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your personal preferences) that use durable materials and are good value as well.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Washington, DC area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

That would depend entirely on your risk tolerance, where you are in the range between “I can sleep on anything” and “princess and the pea” and on your confidence that an online purchase will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP. It would certainly increase the risk if you aren’t here long enough to take advantage of a trial period or the ability to exchange a mattress or an individual layer (in the case of a component mattress). For some people it would be an “acceptable” risk and for some it wouldn’t.

There is more about the pros and cons of an online purchase vs a local purchase in this topic (and the posts it links to at the end of post #3 in the topic) and there is also more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If you do decide to purchase a mattress online and you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply. I visited Room and Board but they didb’t have the latex bed on the floor. Next I will visit Saavy and Urban mattress. I also narrowed my internet choices to Sleepez, Urban green mattresses, Flobeds, and once I complete my search and identify the good match for my PPP, I will be ready to buy.

In deciding on the firmness of layers in a 4-5 3" layer latex bed, does the 2nd layer or 2nd and 3rd layer from the top, count as comfort layers or support layers?

Thank you…
Talkoran

Hi Talkoran,

“Comfort layers” and “support layers” are just terms of convenience and have no specific definition. Comfort layers are the layers that are mostly responsible for the “feel” and pressure relief of a mattress and would generally be the top 3" to 6" of a mattress (depending on your weight and on how deeply you compress the mattress). Support layers are the deepest layers of a mattress that are mostly responsible for the primary or “deep support” of a mattress. Middle layers or “transition layers” can affect both the comfort and support of a mattress and perform some of the functions of both.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

I would also keep in mind that if you are testing a mattress locally then with careful testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) your body will tell you whether a specific mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP regardless of whether you know anything about the specific firmness or ILD of each layer in the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for all your guidance, which has been extremely helpful in testing mattresses. After having tried different latex mattresses in 3 different stores in the area (thanks to the list you provided) I loved the Unity Pillowtop at Savvy Rest, with 4 layers of firm Dunlop, medium Dunlop, soft Talalay, and soft Talalay. I am not sure though whether 2 soft Talalay would become much softer over time and I would sink in too much or whether I should go for it just because I felt comfortable when I tried it. I also tried the same combination except with a medium Talalay as the second layer, and I felt being pushed up. Is it advisable to go for 2 layers of soft Talalay or would the medium become too soft over time?

Second, the mattress I liked at Savvy Rest is quite expensive and I saw online similar combinations at Urban Green Mattresses, Sleepez, and maybe Flexuscomfort? I am not sure whether the latter uses natural or blended latex. Would buying from these sites give the same comfort as SR? I saw in one of the forums that you mentioned that the Talalay at Sleepez is similar to the one at Savvy Rest. Are the Urban Green Mattresses similar as well? Are there other sites that sell 4-layer mattresses of a mix of Natural Talalay and natural Dunlop?

also, at Savvy Rest the top layer has a separate cover. Would having 4-layers together in one cover be different than having 3 layers together in one cover and the top layer in a separate cover?

Finally, if I am the only one sleeping on the mattress, is it better to order one with merged or split layers? I understand that it may be cheaper to replace a split layer. However from a comfort perspective, does it make a difference?

I am almost there thanks to this forum and your advice. I am very lucky for having seen this forum. I started from not being able to tell the difference between one mattress and another and now I know exactly what I need and the specifications that fit me the best, I am very happy to be so close to making a decision.

Thank you,
Talkoran

Hi Talkoran,

It’s good to see you are getting close :slight_smile:

I don’t know your weight range but two layers of soft latex could be more risky for many people (especially if you aren’t in a lighter weight range) in terms of PPP so I would make sure you do some very careful testing to make sure that two soft layers of latex is keeping you in good alignment. It would also be more risky in terms of durability because while latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials … softer layers of any material will be less durable than firmer layers of the same material. The good news is that with a component mattress you have the option to exchange a layer if your original combination doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including 100% natural Talalay and Dunlop and certified organic Dunlop) that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering. Post #3 here also includes a list of manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses and many of these are very similar to Savvy Rest mattresses except of course they are in much lower budget ranges.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

A separate topper can “act” a little more independently and “feel” a little softer outside a cover than it will by having the same layer inside the cover (see posts #3 and #4 here and the first page of posts in this topic.

There are some comments about the pros and cons of a side to side split layered mattress in post #2 here. They can certainly be an effective way to accommodate a couple that have different needs and preferences but if both sides have the same layering then it’s unlikely that you would feel much if any difference between a mattress that uses solid layers vs split layers. Since a latex mattress will last for a very long time it may still be an advantage to have split layers if a time comes where you may be sharing your mattress with someone else.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your helpful response. I don’t think without your guidance I would have been able to make such an informed decision. I am really enjoying this experience and the more I read the forum the more I become aware of things I wouldn’t have thought of. Thank you!

After reading the relevant discussions you pointed in your latest message, I decided to go for a 10" mattress with a separate soft natural Talalay wool covered topper. I like the concept of having a separate plush topper.

Regarding the mattress itself, I decided to go with a medium natural Talalay but for the bottom layers, I am still not sure whether I should go for Medium and Firm Dunlop, or firm and firm Dunlop, or firm and extra firm Dunlop. I am 5,4 and 165 lbs but my weight fluctuates a lot with 10-15 pounds up or down. I also sleep a lot on my stomach, though I am a side sleeper. Also, I have neck and back problems. Besides, . like the firm feeling with a soft topper. The mattress I tried at Savvy rest was medium/firm, and it felt ok. Should I consider getting firmer support layers?

I was able to contact Sleeping Organic and Sleepez. Tomorrow I will contact the Urban Green Mattress and Flexus Comfort to finalize my decision. Sean at Sleepez was extremely helpful and very knowledgeable, the person I got at Sleeping Organic not so much. also, the Sleepez mattress is cheaper than Sleeping organic by some 250$. At this stage are the price and the customer service the only difference I should be looking for or are there other specifications I need to consider? Both Sleepez and Sleeping Organic have a mattress 100% natural Talalay and Natural Dunlop, and I understand that they are done by the same companies as Savvy (Radium and Coco). The wool cover is certified organic at Sleepez and not certified organic at Sleeping Organic. So I am not sure why one is cheaper than the other, and both are much cheaper than Savvy Rest.

I look forward to your advice. once I speak with the remaining two companies, I will make my decision. I am really extremely grateful for all your advice and guidance. You turned an experience that felt like a nightmare before I found this website to an enjoyable and memorable one. Thank you!

Talkoran

Hi Talkoran,

When you talk with them on the phone they will be able to tell you which of their mattress layering combinations would be most closely comparable to the Savvy Rest combination that you confirmed was the best “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP or if you aren’t certain about which layering combination to choose then I would go with the combination that they suggest which would have the best odds of success based on their experience and the “averages” of other people that are similar to you in terms of body type, sleeping style, and preferences. Don’t forget that with a component mattress you have options to rearrange layers or exchange a layer if your initial combination doesn’t work out as well as you hope for.

Outside of price the main differences in the type of materials and components will be the type or blend of latex that you choose or that they have available for each layer, some relatively minor differences in the cover and quilting, and differences in their return and exchange policies.

I don’t believe that either Sleeping Organic or SleepEZ uses CoCo latex as their supplier but the manufacturer of the latex isn’t as important as the type and blend of the latex anyway. If the type and blend of the latex is the same then the latex made by different manufacturers will be closely comparable in terms of quality and durability. Mattress manufacturers will sometimes even switch their suppliers based on changing market conditions. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about some of the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here but the choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice because any type of blend of latex is a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam materials.

Most (although certainly not all) people that are looking for “organic” materials are usually concerned more with purchasing more natural materials and/or with “safety” than whether the latex or other components have an organic certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether natural materials with a “safety” certification is enough.

There is more about some of the factors that can affect the price of a mattress relative to different manufacturers or retailers in post #14 here but Savvy Rest is somewhat of an “outlier” in terms of their cost and “value” compared to most of the online and many local manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses with the same type and blend of latex and that have a similar design.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix