looking for latex matresses and frames in Monterey peninsula

Hello,

I would appreciate any information on where to buy latex matresses and frames (adjustable and bunk beds) in Monterey peninsula area, CA. I found here link to the store in Santa Cruz, Bay Bed and Matress. I wonder if anybody had any experience with this store. From there website it seems they make latex matresses with coils inside. I assume they cannot be used with adjustable frames. Thank you.

Hi msy,

BayBed & Mattress is one of the manufacturers that has been invited to become a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and I believe they compete well with the best in the country. They make component latex/pocket coil hybrid mattresses that can be individually customized both before and after a purchase. This type of mattress (pocket coils and latex) would normally work well with an adjustable bed. A forum search on BayBed (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well. They would certainly be well worth a visit for anyone that was within reasonable driving distance.

Some of the other options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Santa Cruz, Salinas, Monterey, and San Jose areas are included in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your suggestions. We met with Dan from Bay bed and mattress and John from Salinas Mattress Co. Both were very pleasant, helpful and patient. Here are a few questions that I have now:

1. John makes flippable latex mattresses. He believes this makes them last longer (top layers get rest). What is your opinion on flippable vs. not flippable latex mattresses? Bay bed does not make flippable latex mattresses (they might customize them probably),

2. John also uses only 100% natural talalay latex. So for the core he uses firmer 100% natural talalay latex. He believes talalay contoures better to the body and gives better support, while dunlop, he feels, is too firm. What is your opinion on what to use for the mattress core: talalay or dunlop? Bay bed uses 6 inches dunlop medium or firm as core.

3. Bay bed has zippable mattress covers (so layers can be changed. John does not use zippable covers and he glues (laminates) his layers of latex, so they do not move. Your opinion please on laminating the layers and zippable vs not covers?

4. what would be second best alternative for natural latex mattress (my husband feels that it is too expensive to buy latex mattress for both of us)? I have bad allergies and neck/back problems, so I will be buying latex twin xl mattress with adjustable frame. My husband does not want to spend that much money and wants to buy a cheaper bed for himself. I do not like the idea of all synthetic foam mattress. Do you have any suggestions?

I have more questions that I will post later. Thank you!

Hi msy,

You can read more about the pros and cons of two sided “flippable” mattresses in post #3 here. A component mattress also has durability benefits because you can replace individual layers instead of a whole mattress.

You can read more about the different types and blends of latex in this article and in post #6 here. Both of them come in a wide range of firmness choices but they have a different “feel”. There is more about the differences in “feel” between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but the choice between them would be a preference choice and not a “better worse” choice. Some people will tend to prefer one and some will prefer the other in either support or comfort layers.

There is more about the pros and cons of glued vs unglued layers in post #2 here and in post #15 here.

This is too broad a question to give any specific answers because it depends on each person’s preferences and criteria and on the specifics of an individual mattress and the quality of the materials inside it not just on the type of materials. For example a certain latex mattress may be “perfect” for one person and for someone else it may be completely unsuitable to sleep on. The same would be true for any type or category of mattress. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but in very general terms the “value” of a mattress purchase first of all a function of the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP (regardless of the type of material or type of mattress), next the durability and useful life of a mattress (which is based on the design and the quality and durability of the materials inside it not just on the type of materials), and finally on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you including the price of the mattress.

I would keep in mind that a latex mattress is also an “all foam” mattress so I’m not sure why you aren’t comfortable with “foam” in general. I may be able to make more suggestions if I had more information about the criteria that are important to you (or him). In general though this article and the other pages in the same section has more about the types of materials that are generally used in support layers and this article and the other pages in the same section has more about the types of materials that are generally used in comfort layers but his own personal testing on different types of mattresses and materials will be the best way for him to identify the types of materials or mattresses that would be his first or second choice regardless of whether they would be the same as someone else’s first or second choice…

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for the information.

Could you please offer your opinion on how blended dunlop (80% synthetic/20% natural, Latexco) compares with blended talalay (assuming same mix, Latexco) in terms of out-gassing and chemical exposure. Also, does Latexco blended latex (dunlop and talalay) goes through the Oeko-tex certification process? Do you know if Latexco produces 50%/50% blended dunlop? (We are considering blended latex to save money, but I worry about safety/toxicity issues of mostly synthetic blends).

Hi msy,

There is more about the different types and blend of latex in post #6 here but all the latex you are likely to encounter (either Talalay or Dunlop made with either natural rubber, synthetic rubber, or a blend of both) will be certified by either Oeko-Tex Standard 100 or Eco Institut for the presence of any harmful substances or VOC’s. In the case of Latexco all their products are Oeko-Tex certified and outside of any unusual sensitivities or medical issues would certainly be safe by any “normal” standards … especially compared to most other types of foam materials (polyfoam or memory foam).

Phoenix