Looking for Longevity/Quality Advice

I have found a mattress I like made by a well-respected, local manufacturer. I’ve read the online tutorials here but I’m not familiar with the terminology of some of the layers in this mattress. Can you please give me your opinion of the quality (and related longevity) of a mattress with the following specs, assuming it meets my comfort and alignment needs? It has a base of synthetic latex, a layer of 5# Visco, a small peak-to-base convoluted Visco (+ 1.5"), then 3" 4# Gel, and finally a layer of 1.5#. $1300 price tag. Thank you in advance.

Hi INeedANewMattressNow,

While there is no way to specifically quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when they will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for them (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) and because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress (and the materials inside it) in post #4 here and the posts it links to as well.

The only information that is missing from your specs is the thickness of the top layer you mentioned but if it’s just a relatively thin quilting layer that is in the range of “about an inch or” so or less then there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in your mattress relative to more average weight ranges (lower 200’s or so or less) that would be a cause for concern.

Phoenix