Looking for new bed near High Point, NC

I’m in the market for a new bed, I’ve been trying to research everything and get the best bed for my money. I was reading reviews (which were all rave reviews on Whats the Best website) for Saatva and was just about to order one but I dug a little deeper and found the forums here and saw that Phoenix the admin stated there were much better beds to be had for the price vs. the Saatva beds. What is the better bed for the money? We recently stayed at my sister in laws house and slept on her daughters pillowtop mattress from Biglots and really liked it but from the reviews they stated that it wouldn’t last long. I’m a side sleeper mostly and my wife sleeps on her side/stomach.

Hi ctroxtell,

“Better” has a few different meanings and all of them are important when you are looking for a new mattress.

The “better” I usually talk about on the forum means mattresses that use better quality and more durable materials than the Saatva in a similar price range and by this definition there are many mattresses that use better quality materials in the same price range. In other words they have better “value”.

But “better” is also about making sure that a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences). If you buy a mattress that isn’t suitable for your needs and preferences then no matter what it’s value it would have little value to you.

You can test for comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment and many of your preferences in a showroom but you can’t test for the quality of the materials or their durability because you can’t “feel” quality in a showroom. You can only know this by knowing all the details of what is in the mattress. The quality and durability of the materials in the mattress will determine how long the comfort and support that a mattress starts out with will last.

Post #1 here and the information it links to will give you all the information you need to make sure that you can find a mattress that is both better quality and value and also suitable for all your needs and preferences. In about an hour or two you will know more than most of the people who sell mattresses and know what to look for and what to avoid.

There are some very good options available to you in the general High Point, NC area and the better ones I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

What are your thoughts on the best bed for the money? It looks like Rocky Mountain Mattress offers some really nice beds and they seemed to be top on your list Phoenix. When it comes to latex my wife has a latex allergy…I spoke with RMM and was told the 100% natural Dunlop there would be no allergic reaction but the Taylay is usually a 80/20 mix that was synthetic and Taylay causes allergic reactions is this correct? I’m worried if I get a latex support with taylay that my wife will break out. Can you give any insight on this?

Hi ctroxtell,

I don’t believe there is such a thing as “the best bed for the money” and that each person may have a different answer depending on their own “personal value equation” and on all the different parts of a mattress purchase that was most important to them. It would be similar to asking what was the best food for the money :slight_smile:

Having said that … Rocky Mountain Mattress is a member here which means that i believe they are among the best quality/value in the country but quality and value are only part of the picture and the suitability of a mattress for your body type, sleeping style, and preferences is just as important.

You can read more about latex allergies in post #2 here. While a Type IV latex allergy would rarely be an issue with a latex mattress because most of the surface proteins that cause the allergy are washed out and because you wouldn’t be in contact with the latex … because the allergy is to the surface proteins that are found in natural latex … if it was an issue at all it would be more of an issue with natural latex than with synthetic.

There are people who have been selling latex mattresses for decades that have never seen a case of a latex allergy in a mattress. While it’s very unlikely to be an issue (and testing the mattress in person would be a good test of whether it was because you would know very quickly) … nothing is 100% certain.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

I’m looking at the Cloudcroft 12 vs Rendezvous 14, it would appear these 2 beds are the higher end models and have been built better. They are more then I originally wanted to spend but I would hate to skimp on my bed purchase and regret it later. What are your views on support for mattress? I’ve seen supports such as this foundation http://www.samsclub.com/sams/night-therapy-smart-base-steel-bed-frame-foundation-queen/prod3090516.ip?navAction=push Have you any input/opinions/reviews on supports for a new mattress? Has anyone been to the RMM Factory Outlet in North Carolina? I seen that they said they don’t carry the entire line at the Outlet. Didn’t know if they sold mattresses from the outlet if I decided to buy that day or if I would have to wait still.

Hi ctroxtell,

Post #1 here has lots of information about the types of foundations that are most approopriate for foam mattresses. Post #2 here also talks about box springs vs foundations.

I wouldn’t use the foundation you linked under a mattress with a latex base layer but it would probably be OK with a polyfoam base layer (although I would still tend towards a version with more wires and smaller spaces in the grid if I was buying a more costly mattress).

Both of these use latex or thicker layers of 5 lb memory foam which are both more costly materials. The quality of a mattress though doesn’t go by price or thickness but by the quality of the layers and materials in it. In some cases mattresses with thicker comfort layers can actually be less appropriate or sometimes unnecessary for some people depending on body type and sleeping position even though they may be more expensive. Your testing and the help of Rocky Mountain will help you make the most suitable choice that is closest to your own personal value equation.

I don’t know what they have available at the factory of if they can be picked up there but they could certainly answer this if you called them. I know they can also do custom builds in any layering you choose.

Phoenix

RMM list a “Factory Outlet” store in Mooresville NC called Lake Mattress, http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/rmm-advantage states “While Rocky Mountain Mattress offers its full line of mattress products on our Website, we also maintain a factory outlet store in North Carolina. This brick-and-mortar outlet offers closeouts, discontinued products, freight-damaged, and more at dramatic discounts — but we will never sell a used mattress!”

This store has NOTHING of RMM, the only thing they have in common is that the beds RMM and Lake Mattress sell are made by the same company. This store does NOT have any closeouts, discontinued products, freight-damaged and more. The lady at Lake Mattress I believe her name was Sandy stated they had asked RMM numerous times to remove this information off of their website.

The website seems to have very contradicting statements such at the trial period to try the beds out. http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/rmm-advantage states “To ensure the complete satisfaction of every customer, we are proud to offer a risk-free 30-night trial on all of our mattresses.”

http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/guarantee states “You truly can rest easy on your new mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress with our 100% guarantee! Your purchase is backed by our 90 Night Satisfaction Guarantee, which gives you a full 90 nights to sleep on and enjoy your mattress in order to ensure that it is the right one for you. Your 90 Night Satisfaction Guarantee begins on the day of delivery.”

When a company can’t even get details correct on their website it makes me wonder what kind of company I am dealing with. I’ve spoke with a gentleman with RMM who seemed very knowledgeable but misleading information posted all over the company website makes me question my decision to purchase from them. :unsure:

Has anyone had any good luck out of the pillowtop mattresses? My wife absolutely loved the one we slept on but I would prefer not to buy something thats going to start crapping out. If no ones had good luck with pillowtops is it possible to find a topper that is similar? There are just so many choices with beds.

Hi ctroxtell,

[quote]This store has NOTHING of RMM, the only thing they have in common is that the beds RMM and Lake Mattress sell are made by the same company. This store does NOT have any closeouts, discontinued products, freight-damaged and more. The lady at Lake Mattress I believe her name was Sandy stated they had asked RMM numerous times to remove this information off of their website[/quote].

As you are saying … Lake Mattress has nothing to do with Rocky Mountain Mattress. I have no idea why they have the page on their website (I’ll have to ask them). You need to call Rocky Mountain Mattress at the number in the High Point listing to make an appointment with them at the factory in Conover to try their mattresses in person.

[quote]The website seems to have very contradicting statements such at the trial period to try the beds out. www.rockymountainmattress.com/rmm-advantage states “To ensure the complete satisfaction of every customer, we are proud to offer a risk-free 30-night trial on all of our mattresses.”

www.rockymountainmattress.com/guarantee states “You truly can rest easy on your new mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress with our 100% guarantee! Your purchase is backed by our 90 Night Satisfaction Guarantee, which gives you a full 90 nights to sleep on and enjoy your mattress in order to ensure that it is the right one for you. Your 90 Night Satisfaction Guarantee begins on the day of delivery.”[/quote]

You’re right about this as well. Did you call them to ask which was correct?

As you also mentioned they are very knowledgeable about their mattresses and they have been providing great service and value for many years but websites often have mistakes (when I am doing my research in most areas I would say that close to 90% of the websites I look at are out of date in some way). The most important part to me is making sure that the listings of the mattresses are correct but I agree that it would be much better if these types of discrepancies are corrected because they can easily lead to misunderstandings and the issues that can come from these. I know them well enough to know though that if this ever were to happen that they will do the right thing by their customers although I also agree that it would be much better if they weren’t there in the first place.

I’ll ask them about both of these when I talk with them next and in the meantime you will of course need to trust your own best judgement about which mattress to buy and which company to buy from. No matter what reasons you have for making your choices they will be based on what is most important to you and as valid as any other reasons that people have for making the mattress purchase that they do

Phoenix

I have spoke with someone 2 times at RMM and neither time did they mention being able to go to the factory in Conover. So I’m not sure that is even a possibility. When talking to them they state they have a 90 day guarantee.

Hi ctroxtell,

They normally only do business online so it’s not something they offer as a normal course of business but If you go to the Hickory post you will see that if you are local and and ask for an appointment then they will meet you at the factory.,

Phoenix

Well I really wish they would of said something when they called me and I had told them I had just left the factory outlet considering I drove 60 miles one way.

I think I’m going to be considering Brooklyn Bedding for my next purchase, they seem to have some really nice beds and that are closer to the price range I wanted. I’m not sure what the whole Aloe Vera cover thing is about, I had thought Bamboo was about the best option out there and I hadn’t even heard of the aloe vera covers. Any input on these? Thanks again for the ton of information you’ve done provided. Whichever one we do order I will be sure to do a review on it.

Hi ctroxtell,

Bamboo, Aloe Vera, Beech Trees, Eucalyptus and many other cellulose sources are used as the raw materials to make various rayon or “semi synthetic” type fibers. They have a very soft feel to them and are very breathable and wick moisture well but IMO they are probably a little less durable than cotton (but this would also depend on the weight and specifics of each fabric). You can read a little more about them in post #2 here (and the links it contains).

I’m looking forward to hearing about what you choose.

Phoenix

It would seem we have pretty much made our minds up and have just about completely decided on our bed. We currently have a queen and were leaning toward getting a Cal. King, unfortunately the “Genius Hi Rise” foundation they carry they do not have in a Cal. King. So I must find me a foundation and see how easy it is to find sheets for a Cal. King as it seems some places stop at Kings. How are mattress covers? Do they take away from the quilted tops wool cooling abilities or any such thing? Any knowledge I need to know about them? Thank you so very much for all the help you’ve provided so far.

Hi ctroxtell,

The foundation thread here should help and has many reasonably priced options that are available in Cal King

Post #7 here has some good information and links to other posts and resources with good information about sheets and fabrics.

Post #89 here talks about the 3 main types of mattress prtectors and the strengths and weaknesses of each including their effect on the feel and temperature of a mattress.

It sounds like everything is starting to come together :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Well I just placed my order for my Brooklyn Bedding Aloe Alexis bed with a firmness of 6 in a California King, a Luna mattress protector, and a Structures Hi Rise platform bed frame. I will be doing a full review and posting pictures of everything if all goes well. Please let me know if you would like to know anything in particular.

Hi ctroxtell,

Congratulations on your new mattress. I think you made a great choice and in a conversation I had with them today they told me that the Alexis was currently their most popular mattress.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it … and pictures are always great as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi All,

For clarification on the Rocky Mountain Mattress factory issue… After attempting to make an appointment myself last week at the factory in Conover, NC, I was informed that the factory no longer allows customers to come to the factory due to “insurance issues,” which I understand to mean possible liability issues. After being told this by the Rocky Mountain rep, he referred me to Lake Mattress as the showroom where we could test mattresses. Following some further back and forth with Rocky Mountain and Lake Mattress, I learned that, as Phoenix said, the only connection between Rocky Mountain and Lake Mattress is that the same factory makes their mattresses. Lake Mattress does NOT carry any Rocky Mountain brand mattresses. I’m very happy I figured all of this out prior to making the drive to NC to test out the mattresses at Lake Mattress believing I would have the opportunity to test Rocky Mountain mattresses. Rocky Mountain did apologize for the misinformation but they simply MUST remove the information from their website regarding factory visits and ensure that they are giving customers the proper information about Lake Mattress.

All of that being said, we did choose to go to Lake Mattress to test their mattresses and they did have some great choices. We still felt, however, that the Rocky Mountain Mattress component memory foam line was the best value and ordered our new CoolComort mattress yesterday. Lane at Rocky Mountain has been very nice to work with and my mattress has already shipped. I can’t wait!

Hi lulu534,

They originally had a different location on their site (their factory location) and when they were no longer able to use this they made an agreement with Lake Mattress to show some of their mattresses (which is when they added their address to their site). This agreement hasn’t worked out too well it seems judging by the comments that were being made by Lake Mattress (that they had been asking them to remove this information from their site on multiple occasions). You can see from the wayback machine here that even as late as Jan 17th,2013 the old address was listed on their site and it was recently changed to reflect their agreement so the information being provided by Lake Mattress is not accurate.

I think you will find they will update this quite quickly and when I talked with them they said they would decide what to do and change the information within a few days.

Having said that … on to the most imporant part which is congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Their component mattresses are one of my favorites of the designs they offer and it’s uncommon to find a DIY memory foam mattress.

Phoenix