Looking for purchase new mattress.

So I’ve been doing some research in my quest for a new mattress. I’ve narrowed my choice down to either Brooklyn Bedding’s BME or Nest Bedding Alexander. Can anyone explain to me why the Alexander is so much more expensive than the BME. From what I’ve read, the BME uses higher quality latex.

The Alexander, with the MU discount, is just a few hundred more than the BME, but there is no latex in the Alexander. The BB mattress is two layers of latex over a base foam, the Alexander is two layers of 4lb gel foam and 4lb visco foam over a base foam. Very different feel. Both beds use very high quality materials. Perhaps Phoenix will chime in as well, but the beds are very different in construction and feel. Latex is more springy, memory foam will be more pressure-relieving.

Hi draken,

There is more about the many variables that can be involved in how any manufacturer or retailer prices their mattresses in post #14 here but of course there is no real answer to this because the internal financials that show how a manufacturer calculates their prices are proprietary and this isn’t information that a manufacturer would share with the public so from a consumer perspective it’s really a matter of knowing how to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on the materials inside them and all the other criteria that are most important to you (one of which is price of course).

As Joe mentioned … these are two very different mattresses and are more of an apples to oranges comparison because memory foam is very different from latex. Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about how memory foam compares to latex in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which type or combinations of materials or components you tend to prefer in “real life” will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While the price of a mattress is important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is really important and price is just one of many parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase. The mattress you sleep on and how well you sleep on it will have a bigger effect on how you feel and your overall well being than almost any other significant purchase you can make and when you look back on a good quality mattress purchase in a decade or more you will remember much more about how well you slept on it and how long you slept well than you will about the price you paid and relatively minor differences in price that have only a small effect on the yearly cost of ownership spread out over the years will be much less important to you.

Phoenix