Looking for quality mattress in NJ

Hello,

I have been researching mattresses online and found this website which I think has a lot of great information.

I was hoping I could get some recommendations for my particular situation.

I am looking to replace my approx 10 year old full size bassett coil mattress. Its not that old, but squeaks a lot and I feel its compressing too much and not supporting me.

I have a brand new platform storage bed. It has many wood slats to support a mattress.

I am female, 130 lbs and 5’5" and sleep alone
I have degenerative neck and shoulder issues, pinched nerves but no herniations.
I fall asleep on my side but move around a lot. I tend to curl up (sleep hot) and wake up with a stiff neck or my arm falls asleep.
I also have sinus problems and seasonal and household allergies.
Zip code is 08831

I of course started out looking in the retail locations such as macys.
the only “regular mattress” I liked was a beautyrest park hall tight top firm.

The rest that I did like were serta icomfort insight and genious.

and sealy memory works carina and astral which I think are both firm. I liked that these beds did not move around when you get on them and dont make any noise. I would lay down on my side and I liked the way they felt. would I like them all night, I dont know.

I really liked the feeling of memory foam, but I don’t want a “toxic” bed.
Would you say that any of the mainstream mattresses today (memory foam or coil) regardless of high cost, are using toxic materials in the mattress?

I plan to go to some of the places you recommended in other threads (mattressfac in fanwood, mattress world in hamilton, bedroom galleries in howell, your organic bedroom in doylstown). but wanted to get an idea of what I should be trying out.

I wanted to know what you think of Princeton Mattress also?

Also, I have used an allergenic cover and a mattress pad. If I were to get one of the better quality natural mattresses, would I still use the allergenic cover and pad? how does that affect the quality and benefits of the mattress itself?

your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi songbird2012,

I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

This should work well with or without a foundation. The spacing of the slats is important though …especially if you end up with a latex core mattress … but if the gaps are 3" or less then a solid foundation would be optional unless you buy a mattress as part of a “sleeping system” that you tested and is designed to work best with an “active” box spring in which case they should be purchased as a set.

[quote]I am female, 130 lbs and 5’5" and sleep alone
I have degenerative neck and shoulder issues, pinched nerves but no herniations.
I fall asleep on my side but move around a lot. I tend to curl up (sleep hot) and wake up with a stiff neck or my arm falls asleep.
I also have sinus problems and seasonal and household allergies.[/quote]

“Specs” about each person’s body type and sleeping position are an important part of how each person interacts with a mattress but there are many other variables as well. There are many different types of layering combinations that can perform equally well for people of a certain height and weight and sleeping style so the most “accurate” way to “fit” a mattress to each person is to work with a knowledgeable local person who has the experience and knowledge to help you make the most suitable choices in “real time” and in person. There are some general weight and height guidelines here and some general guidelines about sleeping positions here and some information about how different types of layering can change and affect these guidelines in this section of the site but these are general guidelines and starting points only and will do more to help you know who has the knowledge to help you make the best choices more than they can be used to design or recommend a specific mattress based on what I call “theory at a distance”.

If there are no good choices available locally … then the better online manufacturers are also very good at making more specific recommendations … especially if you have done some local testing and can give them some good feedback … because they know the specific details of every layer and component of the mattresses they make and sell and how they interact together. they also have a large customer base of people which have purchased the specific mattresses they sell which can be used as a reference point.

In other words … connecting with the experts who already know the specs and information that you would otherwise have to learn is much more effective than “becoming” an expert yourself or focusing on more technical details that can become overwhelming. With good help and guidance … your body and your “helper” will tell you which mattress is best for you.

There are also many aspects to sleeping cool and temperature regulation in a mattress and once again this will depend on how many different factors interact. There is more about this in post #2 here.

Allergies (as they relate to a mattress anyway) are usually connected to dust mites and mattresses that are less prone to this (good ventilation and humidity control and materials like latex and wool that are more resistant to dust mites along with a suitable mattress protector) would make good choices for those that are allergy prone. Humidity control and ventilation is one of the main “keys” to controlling dust mites in a mattress because they require humidity to thrive. Of course good protection that also deprives them of their “favorite” food source (dead skin) is also important. Again … an “expert” that already know this and is willing to give you the benefit of their knowledge can save you a great deal of time and research beyond the “basics” that can help you recognize which of the outlets you are dealing with really does know what they are talking about.

Post #10 here has a step by step process that can dramatically increase your odds of finding your “ideal” mattress that has better quality and value than anythin you are likely to find with a major brand or typical mass market outlet.

It appears from your comments that you may have already read this but the list of manufacturers and outlets that are the better options and possibilities in and around your area are in post #4 here centered on Trenton. There is also a more “categorized” list with more detailed descriptions of many of them in Post #7 here.

I haven’t talked with them so I don’t know about the level of knowledge, experience, or service they may have or their ability and willingness to provide the quality specs of the mattresses they sell (which of course wouldn’t be possible with their mainstream mattresses which I would ignore). If I was shopping there … I would be most interested in their Paramount mattresses, the Simmons Natural Care (one of the few major brands that is generally worth considering) and their Gold Bond. All of these though are dependent on their willingness and ability to give you meaningful specs about each mattress.

You will need a good mattress protector or encasement yes but which you use would depend on your preferences and the tradeoffs that were most important to you. The most common choice is a protector like the protec-a-bed or Luna which has a breathable/waterproof layer which is waterproof, semi-breathable, and for most people has little effect on the feel of their mattress. Other options would include a stretch knit cotton protector which is not waterproof or water resistant but is highly breathable and hyas little effect on the feel of the mattress. Another would be a wool protector which is water resistent (not waterproof), very breathable and temperature regulating, but will have some effect on the feel of the mattress. Choosing the “next level up” of thickness which is a mattress pad would depend on how much you wanted to change the feel and performance of your new mattress. There is more about this in post #10 here.

If you have just a basic or inexpensive mattress protector or mattress pad … then I would replace it. If it is a higher quality or cost protector or pad such as wool with a natural cotton cover, and it is the type you want to use with your new mattress, then for me replacing it would depend on its age, condition, and quality.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Phoenix,

thank you for the information. I am trying to organize all the information. What a daunting task this is!

I am eager to try out the various brands and Im also not afraid to try something online with parts that can be switched out.

There is an interesting thing about the platform bed. some of the spaces between the wood are three inches and some are four. So I guess there is a possibility that I would need a foundation, depending on the type of bed.

I will check back here as I continue my research.

Hi songbird2012,

I can certainly understand this feeling. I would tend to do as much as possible on the phone and talk to each of the possibilities that attracts you before paying any of them a visit. You could do the same with any of the online outlets you are considering (although if there is good quality and value available locally … your choice can be more accurate … especially if you are working with someone who puts your interests above their commission or profit margin). I would tell them what you know about your “stats” and the preferences you know about and ask them to suggest a few possibilities that they think would be the better “candidates” for you to test in the store. Your conversations will give you a sense of the level of knowledge and service at each of the outlets you are considering and which ones you best connect with and help you narrow down your choices without having to travel for hours. The more you can do at home … the more effective you will be when you test mattresses and the more likely you will be to make a connection with the people who are in the best position to help you with making your best choices. The best people lead to the best mattresses for your needs and preferences.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences and of course don’t hesitate to post any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I went to a local store that had OMI’s on display.

I tried out the organicpedic cascade and I really liked it. I did not get the exact specs but this company seems to be the best of the best. This bed is basically talalay latex, then wool , then an organic cotton cover. its about 7" total. I like the simplicity. One side is scalloped so its a little softer, the other side is flat. there was some question of whether it could go on a platform storage bed, so I would take measurements and contact the company directly to make sure I would not need a base.

the price is $1996. Im not sure about tax/shipping. this is a promo price, regular price is 2495.
in my mind, there are ppl paying higher than that for low quality big S brands, so it seems to be a value product.

I asked to see something with a lower price but that is still natural. She showed me paramount nature’s spa therapy. again, I dont have the exact specs but I will request them. I know the layers are HD foam, Certipur air core, more foam? Talalay latex, Pur wool, FR fiber, organic wool cover. this model is $1497. She asked me if I thought the OMI was $500.00 more comfy than the paramount. Paramount is listed on the Certipur website but not the okeo-tex website.

she actually seemed to drive me towards the lower priced paramount.
we talked about natural/organic materials and the need for the fire retardant chemicals.
She says that everything in her store is the best quality. they also sold temperpedic and big S brands.

I tried out the sealy optimum destiny and while it was comfy, I started to smell a chemical type odor after a few minutes. this is my biggest fear with getting a new mattress. I dont want my mattress making me sick!

Now I will use the Cascade as my starting point. Is this the best value? Can I find something at a lower price point that may be just as good, but not GOTS certified?

I sent out more emails with questions and my search continues.

Hi songbird2012,

While OMI uses very high quality materials … they are not good value compared to many other mattresses that use these same materials unless a particular individual has a value equation that includes factors that only they offer and they are willing to pay the substantial premium that is involved.

I don’t know the size you are looking at which of course would make a big difference but in general I personally would have a very difficult time justifying these types of prices when so many other choices are available either at a local leveo or online that use the same or very similar materials and construction materials at a substantially lower price.

Of course to make meaningful comparisons you would need to know the details of all the materials and components and add all the other variables about both the place you are buying from and the mattress itself into your “value equation”. some of these variables are included in post #2 here.

Most of the foams used in North America would be considered “safe” by most standards (although not by all standards or for all people). “How safe is safe” is part of what each person needs to decide for themselves. Petrochemical foams such as memory foam and polyfoam have a greater risk of causing issues for a small minority of people or being less desireable to many others than making a choice that is a little higher up in the range of more natural material or organic materials and choices.

This is certainly not close to the best value available IMO … not even for mattresses that use organic or GOTS certified materials much less those that use natural materials that may not be organic or GOTS certified. The list of online manufacturers or retailers that are members here in post #21 here can be a useful “value” reference point and there are many sources of local value in most places in the country which would have similar “value” as well.

While the OMI lineup is unquestionably high quality … I personally wouldn’t put it in the “high value” category.

Phoenix

The size I am looking at is full.

I went to some of the websites of manufacturers that you listed.

The ones that look good to me are cozypure pure performance natural latex. it is 6.5 inches of latex and its $1,599.

mygreenmattress has a 10" organic dream which is 100% all natural latex that is $1,599.
they also have a 70% natural mattress that is $1,149 (this one uses thisil as the fire barrier, but it is non-chemical, but there is foam in the cover. I would have to ask them about that.)

rocky mountain mattress has a 9" natural talalay which is $1,369.
they have a 6" dunlop that is $1,219.95.

so I can see for latex only, that these online outlets have better prices.
my question is am I comparing apples to apples with the OMI cascade when I am looking at these?
they seem to all use the 100% talalay latex, wool for the fire protection and organic cotton cover, so to me they seem comparable.

sleep ez is the most interesting. I’m not sure I want to build my own bed though.

I will hold off on the omi for now. seeing that there are comparables out there, I feel less rushed.

Hi songbird2012,

[quote]my question is am I comparing apples to apples with the OMI cascade when I am looking at these?
they seem to all use the 100% talalay latex, wool for the fire protection and organic cotton cover, so to me they seem comparable.[/quote]

Talalay is a production method that is one of two main methods used to make latex. So if completely synthetic latex was used to make latex using the Talalay process (and this doesn’t exist) … it would still be 100% Talalay even though it wouldn’t be 100% natural or even blended latex.

The latex in the Cascade though is made with the Dunlop process not the Talalay process.

There are many different types of latex and each can be more or less expensive, higher or lower quality and durability, and have different properties from the others. There is more about the different types (blended Dunlop, Blended Tlalay, 100% natural Dunlop, 100% natural Talalay, and organic Dunlop) in post #6 here.

100% natural Dunlop and organic Dunlop are basically the same material but the organic has the extra cost involved in certifying the organic farming methods for the raw latex and certifying the latex production as being organic (if the core itself is certified and not just the raw materials). Some people believe that the certification has enough “value” that it is worth the extra cost. Others believe that since the 100% natural Dunlop and the organic Dunlop is basically the same product with the same latex content … that the cost of the certification is not worth the extra expense.

In general … 100% nautral Talalay and organic Dunlop are in the same approximate price range in terms of cost, Blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop are in the next cost tier down (not necessarily quality tier) and then blended Dunlop is in the lowest cost (and quality) tier for latex (generally the more synthetic latex it contains the lower the cost).

So to make an apples to apples comparison with the OMI you would need to compare two mattresses with similar amounts of organic Dunlop latex and that have a similar quality ticking and quilting around the latex.

The two that come the closest are in the online list (that use organic Dunlop) are …

https://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_4_22/products_id/78 which uses two 3" layers of either 100% natural Talalay or organic Dunlop with a wool quilted organic cover

Full Size Mattress Made with Certified Organic Latex , World's First Mattress With Certified Organic Latex, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop, All Products 6’" of organic Dunlop with a 2" top layers (total 8") of organic Dunlop with a wool quilted organic cover.

While these may not be exact comparisons because there are differences in the amount of latex, the amount of wool used may be different, and the OMI is two sided (and a few other differences) … they are much closer to an apples to apples comparison.

Of course if “organic” is not as important … then 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay would also make a lower cost choice yet. For those where an organic “certification” is not as important 100% natural Dunlop would generally be considered better value by most people (for those who preferr the feel and performance of Dunlop over Talalay).

So the quality of the OMI is great and they use organic latex (or at least latex which uses organic raw materials) and they are built in an organic factory but unless this is the main factor in someone’s choice (an organic certification) … they are not particularly good value compared to other mattresses that use the same or similar cost, quality, and amounts of the same or similar materials.

None of this addresses the relative value or ordering online vs a local order, the benefits of dealing with the particular outlet or manufacturer you are dealing with, or the value of having exchangeable layering or other options for those who discover that they may want to change the properties of the mattress after a purchase but is simply a more “apples to apples” comparison of the mattresses themselves. It also doesn’t take into account whether you may do just as well and be just as happy with different types of latex that may perform just as well or better and that may have better “value” to you yet and are available both locally or online.

All it really says it that the OMI mattresses for most people are not in the best “value” range.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix