Looking for some mattress latex manufacturers to buy a bed

Hi,

I would like to buy:

1. Dual California Super King (23884)
  2. Mattress Latex (One extra firm and the other one soft) for:
  • my wife: 5ft 4 (55Kgs)
  • me : 6 f1 (128kgs)
  1. electrical bed adapted for each one of us (I believe for my weight I may need something more sturdy)

The electrical bed will be for export. Can anyone help me and let me know which are the companies I should look at? Especially those that do 100% latex both the core and the upper part.
I am not interested with big brands. I am more interested with knowledgeable / manufacturers.

Finally, if anyone can let me know if there is any reason to go very thick in latex. Why a 7 or 9 or 11 or even 13 inches?
Does it really make a big difference?

Help will be really appreciated.

Alex

Hi Alexmk,

[quote]I would like to buy:

1. Dual California Super King (23884)
  2. Mattress Latex (One extra firm and the other one soft) for:
  • my wife: 5ft 4 (55Kgs)
  • me : 6 f1 (128kgs)

Can anyone help me and let me know which are the companies I should look at? Especially those that do 100% latex both the core and the upper part.
I am not interested with big brands. I am more interested with knowledgeable / manufacturers.[/quote]

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, firmness levels, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering. Many of them would also be able to make custom sizes but you would need to call or email the ones that are of interest to you to confirm that they can make the size you are interested in.

[quote]3. electrical bed adapted for each one of us (I believe for my weight I may need something more sturdy)

The electrical bed will be for export. [/quote]

I don’t think that your weight would be an issue with most of the adjustable beds on the market that would already have the weight capacity that you need. A bigger issue may be the size because I don’t know of any adjustable bed manufacturer that makes an adjustable bed in the size you are looking for (the closest would be a split Cal King which would be 36 x 84).

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you contact the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

I don’t know who ships adjustable beds internationally so you may need to look for a re-shipper that can have the bed and mattress delivered to an address in the US and then ship it to your country.

[quote]Finally, if anyone can let me know if there is any reason to go very thick in latex. Why a 7 or 9 or 11 or even 13 inches?
Does it really make a big difference?[/quote]

While the thickness of a mattress can make a difference … I would be very cautious about choosing a mattress based on its thickness alone because the thickness of a mattress or any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular to any specific person and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges will sometimes do better with a mattress that is thicker than lower weight ranges (see post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) than anything else.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you Phoenix for all these information. I th as been very helpful.

There is another manufacturer that I am looking at. They do longer mattrresses and longer electrical bed foundation. It is Latexpedic / Electropedic.

I am looking at this mattress:
http://www.electropedicbeds.com/THE-ULTIMATE.html

I looked at some other latex manufacturers too. But Latexpedic seems to have only 2 layers( One core and one pressure relief layers) whereas some others you recommended has 4 layers like sleeping organic in their 13 inch mattress.

So, I am trying to understand the effect of have multiple layers 4 layers as opposed to 2. What type of difference that will make?

Again thank you,

Alex

Hi Alextmk,

Many mattress manufacturers can make custom sizes in any dimensions you wish and most adjustable bed manufacturers make split Cal King adjustables that are 84" long as well but the issue you may encounter is whether they make an adjustable bed that has the width you are looking for (38" vs 36"). Electropedic makes their own adjustable beds (in addition to selling other adjustable bed manufacturers as well) so it would be more likely that they could make custom size you are looking for in an adjustable bed but it’s not something that I’ve asked them. Did you ask them if they can make the 38" x 84" size you are looking for?

[quote]I looked at some other latex manufacturers too. But Latexpedic seems to have only 2 layers( One core and one pressure relief layers) whereas some others you recommended has 4 layers like sleeping organic in their 13 inch mattress.

So, I am trying to understand the effect of have multiple layers 4 layers as opposed to 2. What type of difference that will make?[/quote]

The links in my previous post have more information about the general effect of thickness and the pros and cons of having more layers (if you are looking at a component mattress vs a “finished mattress” where the layers can’t be rearranged or exchanged) but it’s not possible to answer your question in any specific terms because the mattresses you are considering have different designs and many different options available and which one is best for you in terms of PPP would depend on the specifics of the design and layers of the mattresses you are comparing outside of just the number of layers or the thickness of each mattress.

The only way to know which mattress or combination of layers and components will be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience.

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

The Latexpedic mattresses are also two sided (they have a firmer core in the middle and then a softer comfort layer on each side) so they actually have 3 layers. There is more about the pros and cons of two sided mattresses in post #3 here.

The Latexpedic mattress is also a “finished mattress” vs a component mattress that has layers that can be “fine tuned” by rearranging or exchanging layers after a purchase. There is more about “finished mattresses” that have glued layers vs component mattresses with unglued layers and zip covers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will feel for someone else or whether it will be a good match in terms of PPP … both of the mattresses you are considering use high quality materials so there would be no lower quality materials or “weak links” in either one.

Sleeping Organic (and other component latex mattress manufacturers) also offer the choice between either 100% natural Talalay or 100% natural Dunlop in each of their layers and the Latexpedic mattress uses 100% natural Talalay in all their layers. There is more about the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay them in post #7 here and there is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but the choice between them would be a preference and budget choice rather than a “better worse” choice. The best way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing and personal experience.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your precious advice.
To your question whether they make 38*84 electric bed. Yes they do :slight_smile:

Based on what you say, I think I will try to go for a component mattress. I live outside US and this may be ideal to customize the mattress if need be.
If you can still help me a bit more:

• Any “general recommendation” for the top layers in terms of ILD for someone like who weights about 128 Kgs

I am thinking of the possible combinations:
1… Component mattress: Core 6 inches Talalay 44 ILD / Then 2 inches Talalay 36 ILD / Then 2 inches Talalay 32 ILD
2. Latexpedic 11 inches core 6 inches Talalay 44ILD and each side a 2 inch Tlalay 36 ILD

I know you will say it is better to try unfortunately, where I am there is no retail store selling high quality or pure latex. The best would be a tempur.
I am not looking for firmness in particular. I am a side sleeper with some neck / shoulder /shoulder blade pain as well as back pain. I am really looking for pressure relief.

Can you please let me have a bit more of your precious advice?

Regards

Alex

Hi Alextmk,

[quote]Thank you for your precious advice.
To your question whether they make 38*84 electric bed. Yes they do :)[/quote]

That’s great to hear … thanks for letting us know :slight_smile:

[quote]- Any “general recommendation” for the top layers in terms of ILD for someone like who weights about 128 Kgs

I am thinking of the possible combinations:
1… Component mattress: Core 6 inches Talalay 44 ILD / Then 2 inches Talalay 36 ILD / Then 2 inches Talalay 32 ILD
2. Latexpedic 11 inches core 6 inches Talalay 44ILD and each side a 2 inch Tlalay 36 ILD[/quote]

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Again … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance will always be a more detailed conversation with a retailer or manufacturer who will know more about “matching” their own mattresses and the different options they have available to different body types, sleeping styles, and preferences (or to other mattresses that you have tested and that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix