Looking for the best affordable latex mattress

Like a lot of you I have been searching for months online and locally for the best latex mattress option, but at the most affordable price.
I want the absolute best I can get but I can only spend around $1200.
I’ve narrowed it down to a few choices and was just looking for personal experience or other opinions from people more knowledgable than myself.

Aloe Alexis - Brooklyn Bedding $1299 - mattress only
Aurora - Parklane Mattresses - $1350 - foundation included (memory foam layer on top)
Gel-Tex Euro Top - Golden Mattress Company - $1299 - foundation included (memory foam layer on top)

I need a pretty thick mattress to work with my antique bed (combined height with foundation of about 23"). I like the idea of a zippered top (why I’m not exactly sure - other than I like the idea of being able to REALLY see what’s in there). And I would love to have one quilted with wool but seems unobtainable in my price point.

Golden Mattress also makes a couple of latex mattresses without the memory foam on top - the 6" Latex Reflection and the Pureflex All foam Latex Mattress. The Golden Mattress Company mattresses are all Dunlop on thick HD foam bases (supposedly of soy based oil - not petroleum based)

I’ve looked at tons of other ones but it seems like you can’t really get any of them for under about $1800 - and many of their foundations are not offered in a standard 9" (I guess because of shipping).

I have a Simmons Beautyrest box spring but I don’t know if it is okay to use with a new mattress - I mean it is sturdy but i don’t know if it is constructed correctly for a foam mattress.

Thoughts, suggestions - personal experiences?

Hi jhadley,

As you probably know from reading the forum for a while there really isn’t a “best” because each person has their own definition about how to define “best” based on their own preferences, thoughts about what is most important to them, and their own personal value equation.

The first thing I would suggest is to choose the type of material you would prefer. This will narrow things down a bit once you have eliminated either memory foam or latex and your choices will be much easier. Local testing on each type of material will tell you which you prefer.

Once you have decided on which material you prefer … then the next step is to choose the best option at each retailer or manufacturer you are considering.

Once you have narrowed down your choices to one per retailer … then the last step would be to compare them based on both the specific layering of each mattress and on all the other benefits that come with the mattress purchase and dealing with each retailer or manufacturer you are considering.

The two ways to choose the “best” layering are either local testing (which is the most accurate) or if a mattress you are considering is sold online and you haven’t been able to test a mattress locally that has the same or very close layering then to talk with the manufacturer and talk about their suggestions for your body weight and sleeping positions and your own personal experiences on local mattresses to narrow down your choice to one.

It sounds to me like you are choosing between some very good options but I would eliminate either memory foam or latex based on your preferences, narrow down your options to one at each retailer or manufacturer (based on either your testing or your conversations) and then make the final comparisons and tradeoffs based on the details and specs of all the layers in each mattress and the benefits that come with each manufacturer / retailer that will help you decide which one is best for you based on your own value equation.

There is never a “best” … only a best for YOU :slight_smile:

Phoenix