Looking for the best value

Welp. I woke up with back pain again:(. I really am just completely fed up with dealing with this pain and posture problem all the time. I REALLY don’t like spending money on unplanned items but I knew reality would catch up with me sooner or later.

I have had the same bed for about 6 years and been dealing with the “sag” for some time now. I have made mutiple concious efforts to try to train myself to sleep on my back; which is impossible it seems, so, I guess I will be a stomach sleeper for the rest of my life.

Today, I spent some hours looking around for information and I ended up here and one other site that seem to serve my needs for quality information. Since I sleep on my stomach (would indicate firm - medium firm) and sometimes side (soft), I guess my needs are to be a medium firm that has some give. I am going to keep a log for about a week just to be sure, but I am almost positive this is how I sleep. SO, with everything I have learned so far, the easy part is complete more-or-less.

The ABSOLUTE hardest part is finding the mattress. If I had unlimited funds it would be easier, but I don’t. In fact, according to this site, I should come up with a spending range and select from the highest part to purchase. This leads to $600 MAX. Yay:)

So, in closing I have one question I guess. I can afford a used “good” one or a new name brand like Sealy, Simmons, yada. Which would be better? Used Good or New Average/below average?

Here is a good buy according to this site (I thought until I read poor reviews on it) http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/4579264995.html

I have thought of these as well http://www.bedinabox.com/ ( can find them pretty cheap on craigslist new)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37L0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YN7A2YZMVGG3ME4V605&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.costco.com/Novaform®-14"-Gel-Memory-Foam-Queen-Mattress.product.100026997.html

The ONLY higher quality be I have ever slept on was a firm-ish memory foam. It was FANTASTIC to say the least. I dont feel as if going to lay down on new mattresses at the store are going to give me a solid indication of how it would hold up a year down the road, so I am reluctant.

Hi BedNewb,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to know how to make the best possible choices regardless of your budget range … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I certainly wouldn’t buy a major brand (see the guidelines here) because there are so many higher quality mattresses in the market and I don’t consider them to be “good” quality/value mattresses. I also wouldn’t buy a used mattress but other people may feel differently about this so if you do decide to go in this direction then post #2 here may be helpful. If it was me I personally wouldn’t choose any of these options especially when there are many other good options in your budget range that would be well worth considering.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but the link you posted doesn’t have any information about the quality of the materials in the mattress and I have no idea how suitable it would be for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) until you’ve tested it so I wouldn’t call it a good buy at all until you can confirm that it’s suitable for you, that it has no weak links in the materials, and that it compares well to the other mattresses that you are considering.

You can see my thoughts about BedinaBox in post #2 here. As you can see in the guidelines here … I wouldn’t consider any mattress that used more than about an inch or so of 3 lb memory foam when you have many better quality choices in a similar or lower budget range.

This mattress also has more 3 lb memory foam than I would consider.

Same comments here.

Outside of any local options that may be available to you … some of the better lower budget online options that may be worth considering are listed in post #4 here.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are local to you.

Phoenix

I have read a lot of your posts. I must say that I have never come across a moderator so helpful and thorough. I must personally thank you.

City: Merritt Island, FL
Zip: 32952

I REALLY like the all of the suggestions at the bottom of this post here. Christeli really stands out for me.

I saw some other postings at another site that suggested a DIY from FoamByMail.com. I came back here to check on the companies reputation and it was shot down. Are there any foam manufacturers that are DIY and real quality? ie. you get what you paid for.

Hi BedNewb,

Thanks for the kind comments … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Merritt Island, FL area are listed in post #4 here.

It always amazes me that so many people are willing to deal with or even promote what I would consider to be a very unreliable supplier and overlook all the evidence that what they believe they are buying may not be what they end up receiving. When I was posting at WTB (before I started this site over 3 years ago) they were just as questionable then as they are now and yet many people continued to “support” them with their purchases in spite of clear evidence even then that they were misleading their customers.

The component post here includes some of the better online component and foam suppliers that I’m aware of.

Phoenix