Looking for ultra firm , with NO memory foam or soft top

Desperately seeking old school ultra firm mattress with spring coils, absolutely NO memory foam or gel, firm foam on
top …closest found so far is jamisom sunflower firm in their new english garden collection, but even it is not the extra firm i require.
Slept on Simmons Beautyrest classics extra firm for years until they started putting memory foam on top.

Located in nashville,tn, any advice you would have on options in this area would be greatly appreciated. Have been to all the typical stores with no luck.

Also, is it feasible for us to remove a top layer of memory foam from a mattress?

Hi dndcorzi,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Nashville area are listed in post #2 here but you would need to call them because I don’t know the specifics of the mattresses they carry on their showroom floor.

If you are open to driving a little further then post #18 here centered around Evansville, IN includes several local factory direct manufacturers that should either have or be able to make you what you want. Post #2 here also includes two factory direct manufacturers in Chattanooga, post #2 here includes two factory direct manufacturers in Knoxville, and post #57 here includes Royal Bedding in Pelham, AL who I think very highly of and could certainly make you a two sided version of what you are looking for.

That depends to some degree whether it’s glued or not (it would be much more difficult if it was glued) but post #2 here and the posts it links to have more information about “mattress surgery” that may be helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you so very much for the information and your time…it is greatly appreciated. We will be checking into Royal Bedding in AL.
Wish we had found this site years ago!! You are providing a much needed service. Thanks again

Hi dndcorzi,

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Even though it’s a rather long drive … you will find that Tom is great to work with. I would call and talk with him first about what you are looking for before you go there if you decide to make the trip to make sure he is available to help you when you get there and to give him a sense of what you are looking for so you can use your time there more efficiently.

Phoenix

Hi,

We have spoken with Royal now as well as looking at options closer. So far are seriously considering doing the 3.5 hour drive to check out Royal’s Legacy extra firm model… but, that is a serious long way to go without being more sure.

We have some concern as the stats on the bed have some markings that do not on the surface seem “extra firm”, that being coil gauge of 14.5 (would not 12.5 be xtra firm?), as well as foam density of 1.5 when we have read somewhere that is on lower end of ‘firm’.

So there are those concerns as well as the distance… browsing thru your various threads I came across this one

mattress search

which seems to be based in Huntsville, and you recommend at one point he check out Royal, which he states is too far, but then way towards the end of the thread he gives some stats on the mattress I think he gets, and those stats sound like they come directly from Royal’s site… so my question on this is … do you know if he ended up going to Royal in Pelham? Or… is there another place closer to Huntsville that makes mattresses in the same manner?

Huntsville is -way- closer to N’ville :slight_smile:

Hi dndcorzi,

The firmness of an innerspring depends on many factors including the coil gauge, height, number of turns, shape of the coil, number of coils, the type of coil, and the type of insulator and the foams that are above it. 12.5 gauge is certainly firmer than higher gauge coils but this is only one of many factors that affect the firmness of a mattress.

The density of a foam has nothing to do with its firmness and any density of foam can be made in a wide range if firmness levels. In a two sided mattress that is tufted … 1.5 lb polyfoam will be fine in terms of quality and durability.

I don’t know where they purchased their mattress (they didn’t say) or if they purchased from a factory direct manufacturer or a retailer but the posts I linked (for Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Evansville, and Birmingham) include all the factory direct manufacturers I’m aware of in the general area.

Other lists in a slightly wider area would be for Memphis here and for Louisville here.

Phoenix

Thanks much Phoenix for all this great info… Am looking thru the Memphis links…

Do you have a list for the Little Rock and/or Hot Springs Ark areas by chance? We have connections there, so though it is further might still work.

Hi dndcorzi,

Post #2 here should help :).

Phoenix

Made the trip down into Alabama today. Sadly it was a wasted effort. I realize firmness levels are somewhat subjective, but I cannot concieve how they could call that model an “extra firm”.

So came back very bummed and looking more seriously at venturing into the realm of “mattress surgery”.

I read one of your posts stating it was much more likely for the foam to give out before the coils… I am interested in your thoughts on if that would still be likely on a mattress 12 years old? Wondering if perhaps opening our beloved but no longer firm enough Simmons Beauty Rest might be the way to go?

Hi dndcorzi,

Yes … it’s quite probable that the issue with your mattress is more in the padding above the springs than the springs themselves but the only way to know for sure would be to look inside and check. There is more about mattress surgery in post #2 here and the other links it includes.

Only you can decide that of course that but if the alternative is disposing of the mattress then it certainly can’t hurt to take a look inside. The pocket coils in the Simmons though aren’t likely to be any firmer than the coils you tried at Royal. Out of curiosity … did you happen to try the firm version of the Royal Choice pocket coil?

Phoenix

After trying the legacy “extra firm”, which I would describe as maybe medium… you sink right down into it… hammock like effect, (our old Simmons still is not like that…it is more of a subtle change from its younger days, not really visually noticeable, nor obvious from lying on it for a bit… just from sleeping on it overnite do you notice the change)… anyway, back to Bama, I was then directed to a latex, which I tried, and while it did feel firmer than the springs model, latex is not an option … I felt some others, was told those were their two firmest, everything had squishy tops which we cannot use… we gotta have something you do not sink down into.

Thanks for info re surgery… gonna start studying that option.

Hi dndcorzi,

If you do decide to go in the mattress surgery direction I hope you have the chance to share your experiences and results (and maybe even some pictures) with the forum :slight_smile:

Phoenix