Looking to buy a new mattress in Vancouver, Canada- tight budget.

Hi there,

looking for some advice on purchasing a new mattress. My partner and I are currently sleeping on a rather soft and old mattress that needs to be replaced.

Ideally we would like to spend under $1000 but could go higher if it is worth it. Our budget is fairly tight but there is some wiggle room.

We are both generally side or stomach sleepers and both have some back pain. He is about 6’ and on the bigger side 260lbs is and I am 5’4 and around 130lbs. I have issues with my hip but neither of us are particularly fussy sleepers. He tends to sleep hot, while I’m probably neutral.

I’ve done a fair amount of research but find the options both overwhelming and often out of our price range. I think I’ve settled on wanting a hybrid coil and latex mattress for a number of reasons.

I’ve found this mattress at costco and it seems to tick quite a few of our boxes, but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

NSC Medical Hybrid Articulating System Latex 30.5 cm (12 in.) Queen Mattress: https://www.costco.ca/.product.2286771.html

the price is quite good and with the costco return policy it seems like a decent bet.

Thanks!

I am also on the same boat as the OP living in Vancouver, Canada and am on a budget. All the trusted sellers on here are a little over my price range.

If there is someone that is more experienced and can weigh in on this product it would be greatly appreciated as that price seems to be very reasonable.

Hi lala!

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile:

There is quite a bit of weight differential between you and your husband’s BMI range (35.32 vs 22.3 kg/m2), so a split left/right configuration could prove useful in your situation. A higher BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This certainly could be firmer latex. Higher BMI people, in general, will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. See Post #3 for information and suggestions for higher BMI ranges that is worth reading.

With a quick forum search, I found another consumer subscriber who was considering this same mattress so you may find this thread informative .

I am not familiar with NSC Medical Hybrid but they don’t include the density or IFD in their listing which makes it difficult to make any meaningful quality/value assessment. If you manage to find these specifications, I’d be happy to comment upon it.
• Organic cotton quilted cover
• 2.5 cm (1 in.) Natural latex
• 2.5 cm (1 in.) Medi-gel for lumbar support
• 2.5 cm (1 in.) Medi-foam
• 22.9 cm (9 in.) articulating system heavy-gauge pocket coils

Durability is of concern with this mattress especially as your husband has a higher BMI and will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights. While the top 1" layer is latex, there is no mention of its IFD or the density of the two 1" foam layers below. The three 1" comfort layers being closer to the body are subject to greater mechanical stress and will be the first to breakdown. You can read here more about the mattress specifications you need to know to ensure that the mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ) Thicker comfort layers are usually recommended for higher BMI individuals. The thinner a layer is … the more you will feel the properties of the layers below it. Also, someone who sleeps in the prone (stomach) position needs a surface that is firmer and less forgiving. There’s a bit more information about common sleeping positions and appropriate sleep surfaces here .
The thickness of a mattress is much less important than the specifics of what is inside the mattress and which specific design is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) .

All in all the only plus that I can see with this product is that it has a good return policy
I hope this resets your mattress search and hopefully, you’ll find some better alternatives. you may wish to approach any of our Canadian trusted members. Some of which certainly have good quality/value options close to your budget and criteria.

@ TestingTheWaters

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Just for clarity, I don’t make recommendations for stores unless they are a vetted member here of the site. We have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer subscribers who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground.

Here is a listing of Canadian and US manufacturers/retailers who are Trusted Members of our site that carry Latex or all Latex mattresses and ship across Canada that you may wish to consider. They are very seasoned in providing good guidance over the phone and fitting their customers with a suitable product in terms of comfort/support needs.

MFCCanadian online retailer with a very good selection of latex mattresses and hybrids that close to your budget range.
Restmore Bedding Canadian Manufacturer with a large array of mattress choices latex/ pocket coil, hybrid, springs. They are based in Winnipeg, but you can place an order over the phone.
CBH Wood Furniture
DormioCanadian Manufacturer specializing in organic/natural latex mattresses with options that fit all budget ranges.
SnugSleepHas a factory and showroom in North Vancouver, Canada carrying natural latex mattress products.
You can also peruse Our Trusted Mattress Membersas there are some US-based companies that provide products to Canadian market but you’d need to call and ask with the Covid closures.

Phoenix

Hi there,

thanks for the lengthy response. It’s been some time and after some consideration I am now looking into the Nest Natural Latex Hybrid. Do you have any opinions on this for us? Unfortunately due to COVID and other things it’s difficult for us to go try out mattresses in store at the moment. But we really would like to replace our mattress soon as its sagging quite a bit and starting to bother my lower back.

Thanks

Hi lala.

Good to hear from you again. Nest Bedding is a Trusted Member of our site which means that I think very highly of them, their products, mattress design experience, and their customer service.

Nest offers a split configuration for their 12.5" Natural Hybrid Latex in the King and Cal King size allowing for plush + medium, plush + firm, and medium + firm which can be a good fit for both you and your husband. The lower 1" 1.5LB Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam which is 4.5" deep into the mattress may be subject to a certain extent to mechanical and compression forces and subject to breakdown over time specifically for the higher BMI of your husband. You may want to ask Nest if they can customize this for you and replace this layer with a higher density version.

If you reach out to them directly and share the variation in BMIs between you and your partner, your sleeping positions, and any other useful data, they’ll be able to help you choose the best configuration for your needs.

Now, more than ever (due to the difficulty of going and doing testing in person as you mentioned), I would highly recommend a detailed phone conversation with one of their sales assistants by calling any of their showrooms. Nest has very experienced, knowledgeable, and experienced staff taking care of guiding consumers. If you get the sense that one of their reps did not answer all your questions and concerns feel free to call another of their 20+ stores They can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using to best fit your and your husband’s specific needs and split king configuration.

Their site is currently off as it is undergoing some maintenance but in case it is still in the same state tomorrow when you read this message you can use the phone numbers, we provided on Nest’s TMU business profile.

Phoenix