Looking to buy a new Mattress

My Wife and I are shopping for a new King size Mattress.

We have gone to some mattress stores like “Mattress Firm” , although, as expected, the staff inst very knowledgeable about the products they are selling.

We checked out several Mattresses in the store, and really liked the comfort of the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Memory Form Mattress.

I am really serious about buying a new Mattress, so I am funding this endevour with a large budget (up to $5,000). Our Current Mattress is a 10 year old Sealy that is really painful to sleep on. My Wife and I both sleep on our sides, so we wake up with shoulder pain throughout the night. I also wake up with different limbs “asleep”.

I am looking for a really comfortable Mattress that is going to last me for years. What are your thoughts on Memory Foam Mattresses ? How about Tempurpedic’s products? Is Memory Foam better than a Latex Mattress ?

Also, I noticed Tempurpedic has a “Breeze” Feature for some of their Memory Foam Mattresses. They will be releasing the Cloud Luxe Breeze in the next couple of weeks. This essentially provides some cooling to the mattress…not sure really to what degree or if its just a gimmick. I really prefer a cool bed, as we live in Texas and its hot most of the time. I have read posts on this site where people talk about being hot in a memory foam mattress.

We live just outside of Austin Texas. Zip code is 78664

Any help or recommendations would be great. Also, let me say to the Moderator, thank you so much for having this site, what you do is awesome!

Good luck with your shopping. We were in the same boat a couple of weeks ago, and it was a very frustrating experience. I found the underground mattress site in my search, but in all honesty, it was too overwhelming for me to sift through all the information.

We ended up ordering a Dreamfoam bed from Amazon. You’d think from all the rave reviews it had that we would have been overjoyed with it, but that’s not the case. It’s not a horrible bed, but it doesn’t bring a smile to our faces and I can’t say I’d recommend it. All that to say, I do like latex over memory foam.

Do take the time to TRY OUT the mattresses first. That’s the down side to the Dreamfoam is that you cannot try it. It is said that they will help you to get it right, but I haven’t found the customer service to be anything outstanding. It’s going to cost us $100 each time we try to make the best softer or firmer, and that doesn’t mean we will necessarily be pleased with it.

I was very impressed with a mattress by Sherwood that we tried at The Mattress Firm, it had a latex top over conventional spring mattress. Wish I had gotten that one.

Hi anton5052,

The first place to start is post #1 here which has all the information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make good choices. This will keep you on track step by step and help you avoid the “information overload” that 6488 was mentioning. Finding the experts is always a better approach than trying to become one yourself because they already know what you would otherwise need to learn.

Your budget is much higher than you will likely need to find a great mattress :slight_smile:

They are very different but I would not call one “better” than another. It’s about personal preferences and of course you would need to test both in person to know which you prefer. No matter which you prefer though … the quality of the material you choose is important for durability and performance because every material has better and worse quality versions. You can read more about the pros and cons of memory foam here and the pros and cons of latex here.

The better options and possibilities in the Austin area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

If you read the linked information and follow the steps one at a time it will keep you on track and headed towards the best possible mattress … for YOU :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello,
Firstly, I want to say thanks to Phoenix for all the great input and info you put on your website! I’ve been following your site for awhile now and have learned tons! I also wanted to mention to Anton5052, I purchased the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze from Mattress Firm, because I got sucked into the hype of the ‘breeze’ feature. From my experience in the 2 1/2 months that I’ve had this bed is that it’s an over-rated feature for the price (that includes the tempurpedic brand as well). The ‘breeze’ feature feels cool initially when you lay on it, but goes away through the night because the foam reacts to your body temperature and does heat up a little bit. Having said that, I am in the process of returning the bed since I still have another month of their happiness satisfaction guarantee to get my money back. So now I’m looking at getting either the Ultimate Dreams 13" memory foam bed or the Cirrus Luxe-ES 13" bed. Both are supposed to be comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe from what I’ve read. I’m just undecided due to the base foam being a lower density in the Ultimate Dreams mattress. But regardless, I will never buy or own a Tempurpedic bed again knowing the information that I know now, thanks to Phoenix and other informative websites! The brand beds are way over-rated for the price they charge!

Hi Shaun0311,

As you probably know … for the most part I couldn’t agree more :slight_smile:

Phoenix