Looking to buy new mattress

Hi Mueller,

Anatomic Global is owned by Foamex/FXI which is one of the leading foam manufacturers in the US. They make some very high quality foam. The problem with these mattresses though is that they don’t provide the specs of the foam they use and nobody that I have talked to seems to agree on the density of the memory foam that they use. All foam manufacturers make lower density and higher density foam (polyfoam and memory foam) and without knowing the density of the memory foam in particular … it is not possible to know the “value” of the mattress. Lower density materials are less expensive than higher density and also less durable although they also have some characteristics in terms of temperature response, response rate, and breathability that may make the durability “tradeoff” worthwhile. I believe though that they are “close” to 5 lb memory foam but I don’t know this for sure. This thread has more information about them and the density of their memory foam.

Rocky Mountain and Hawn are both good value IMO and better than the Anatomic Global in terms of the quality of material (good quality latex is a higher cost material than memory foam). Rocky Mountain is one of the members of the site which means I have a high regard for their mattresses, their knowledge, and their service (not to mention that all the manufacturing members offer the members here a 5 percent discount if you tell them you are a member of the forum). I have also spoken with Hawn on several occasions (to Rick and Mark but not with Charles the owner) and enough to know that they fit the profile of the type of manufacturers that I like and that make and sell good value mattresses.

Both of these would make very good choices. The advantage of dealing locally of course is that you can purchase the exact mattress that you have tested for pressure relief and alignment and the risk is a little lower than an online purchase that you haven’t had a chance to lay on.

FWIW … latex is also the longest lasting of all the foams and is more durable than even high quality memory foam and will also soften less and more gradually over the course of time.

Phoenix