Looking to get a new latex mattress

Hey everyone,

I have been doing a lot of research on here lately. I think I have narrowed my search down to the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress. I sleep on both my side on and my back, but I think I lay on my back more because my arms fall asleep on my sides. I am 5’ 11" and 180 pounds.

Is this a problem typical to mattresses being too firm? I am thinking abou tgoing with a firmness level of 6 from Ultimate Dreams. Even after all of the reviews I am still hesitant to order online, but I cannot say I would pick a better mattress in a store. I tend ot be able to fall asleep on most anything and have never bought a matress based on what my needs were, so this is all a first. Thanks.

Hi dbilik,

A mattress is always a combination of firm and soft depending on which layers you are talking about but this is usually connected to a comfort layer that is either too firm or too thin. If its too firm then it may not “allow” your shoulders to sink in enough and if its too thin it may not have enough “room” for the shoulders to sink in before then are “stopped” by the firmer support layers. All the layers work together and every layer in a mattress has some effect on every other layer but in general terms the thickness and/or softness/firmness of the comfort layers are usually the “answer” to these kinds of issues.

If you are uncertain about your comfort choice (and local testing may be helpful to give you some confidence if similar mattresses are available locally) … then it may be a good idea to choose a mattress where you can do a comfort exchange so that if you need to you can change your comfort layer for one that is either a little firmer or softer. It’s also wise to remember that you can always make a mattress that is too firm softer by adding a topper but you can’t really make a mattress that has comfort layers that are too soft or thick any firmer (except with a layer exchange) because this involves changing or replacing the layers not just adding something on top of them.

No matter where you are buying … it’s always a good idea to make sure that your purchase and all the options you have before, during, and after your purchase are inside your risk tolerance and a good match for your personal value equation.

Phoenix