Looking to purchase higher density memory foam toppers/layers for DIY mattress ?

I’m looking to construct a memory foam/poly foam core mattress. I am looking to approximate the designs in the tempur contour, christeli (charleston), and/or select foam (conform regalis). Each of these use a hd memory foam layer (6lb or higher) in their construction. Where can I purchase a 1-2" layer of hd memory foam to use in my bed construction? These manufactures typically only offer the 5.3lb or less toppers/layers for sale. I want to do diy so I can replace layers easily in the future and adjust/move layers as needed. I would prefer certipur/us made foam if possible.

Hi Mexi,

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to so that you have realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

I would also keep in mind that there are hundreds of different versions of memory foam throughout the industry and that memory foams that have the same density may still have a very different feel, response, and performance characteristics (see post #9 here and post #8 here).

The better sources I’m aware of for DIY components are listed in post #4 here but I don’t know of any that sell memory foam that is in the higher density range you are looking for so you may need to use lower density memory foam as a substitute.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick response Phoenix. I have reviewed the list of suppliers and as you mentioned I was unable to find a a high density memory foam layer listed on their sites (one with 6lb density or higher). Without testing the 5lb range toppers I’m worried they would be too soft. I’ve tried latex only mattresses and feel they are too springy for my liking. I feel like if I buy the pre made memory foam mattresses above and a top layer softens undesirably (but not a warranty “depression level”) after a couple years or so i am stuck. I am also unwilling to spend the $3k + starting price for the tempupedic contour line (king size contour elite). In store, I have tested and enjoy the feel of the temper pedic contour elite, contour rhapsody luxe, and contour allura. I am in the cleveland Ohio area. Any other thoughts on how to pursue a medium-firm memory foam mattress?

Hi Mexi,

I would make sure that you’ve read the two links in my last reply about the different properties of the many different types of memory foams on the market. The density of memory foam is not directly related to the softness/firmness of the memory foam and many higher density 7 and 8 lb memory foams are actually softer than their 5 lb counterparts. In addition to this … how soft or firm a memory foam layer feels will also depend on its thickness and on some of it’s other properties such as its temperature response and response time as well. Tempurpedic’s 7 lb memory foam for example is softer than their 5.3 lb memory foam.

If you buy a memory foam mattress that uses memory foam that is a suitable density for your body type and you are also well inside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you (see post #2 here) then you should have no problems with premature softening or breakdown of the materials. In most cases these types of issues are the result of either choosing a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials or that is “on the edge” of being too soft for you so that even a “normal” amount of foam softening can take you over the edge of the comfort/support range that is suitable for you. In addition to this … there is very little additional durability benefit with memory foam that is a higher density than about 6 lbs or so compared to 5 lb memory foams.

Having said that … there is certainly a benefit to a component mattress where layers can be replaced individually over the course of time if they soften or break down faster than the other layers in the mattress or if your needs and preferences change over time but there is also much greater risk and there can be a much longer learning curve and trial and error involved to find the combination of layers that are the best match for you.

I also wouldn’t consider the Tempurpedic line when there are so many alternatives that use similar or even better quality materials in much more reasonable price ranges.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or approximate another mattress in post #9 here and the tutorial post also includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and many of these sell mattresses that are designed to be good approximations of many of the Tempurpedic line and are in much lower budget ranges that may not involve the same risk as a DIY mattress.

Phoenix

People will think I’m crazy, but I put this topper on a really crappy firm 6" mattress, and it feels like I’m sleeping on the Tempur- Contour. It’s the closest thing I’ve tried to Tempurpedic. I have no clue what the density is but it feels high–like 5lbs or higher. Other toppers I’ve tried for twice the price could not compare to it. I’ve had plenty of experience with 4lb memory foam and this feels higher.

No joke.

I bought this topper to use for the next few weeks while I save up for a new mattress, but I’m seriously considering keeping it as my sleep set up indefinitely. I’ve tested all the Tempur models in stores, I owned the Dreamfoam Bedding Aria which compares itself to the Contour, I owned a made in China mattress (Signature Sleep 12") and so far this $100 topper has been, by far, the closes feel to the Tempur Contour when it was placed on top of a very very firm 6" polyurethane mattress.

Response time, adaptability, feel…so far this little thing is the closest I’ve tried to Tempurpedic. I have no clue why it feels so good, but try it yourself. If you don’t like it, just return to Wal-Mart no harm.

Hi EZ4HZ,

As you know from some of the previous links I posted in my replies to some of your posts … density has very little to do with how a memory foam layer or topper feels and much more to do with how long it will last.

This topper would be in the 3 lb density range at most and probably lower than this so it’s a lower quality/density memory foam that will tend to soften and break down and lose it’s “memory” more quickly than higher quality memory foam toppers but of course it’s also in a very low budget range so durability may not be as important as the price.

While I don’t know the specifics of the mattress you are using this on (which will affect how a topper feels) … I would doubt that for most people a 2" low density memory foam topper on top of a 6" polyfoam mattress (or most mattresses for that matter) would feel the same as a Tempurpedic Contour (which has 3.4" of 5.3 lb memory foam on top of 8" of polyfoam) but if it feels the same to you and you sleep well on it then that’s all that really matters regardless of how it may feel for anyone else. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

It behaves/responds like a higher density memory foam so regardless of whether it is or not (which I didn’t bother checking because it was only going to be a temporary soluation), the feel and response is of a higher density memory foam.
In every 4lb memory foam mattress/pillow/topper I’ve tried, it doesn’t hold your impression for long when you get up. They’ve mostly all felt spongy and recovered quickly. When I get up from those 4lb beds, and look down, there is no impression of my body on 4lb density materials. The memory foam in this topper is very different from these and very similar to the Tempur Contour bed. When I get up from the Contour bed, I see a crater where my butt was, and impressions where my body was adapted/contoured to and was craddled by the memory foam. Same thing here with this topper. You get up, look, down, impressions remain for a moment. I can run my hand all around the surface for several seconds and feel where my body was imprinted into the mattress and “cradled”. Even when I rest my finger tips on the topper, it contours to the tips of my fingers even though I’m applying minimal pressure. This was impossible on 4lb foams I’ve had and tried. Both sleep surfaces are also firmer and slightly rigid feeling rather than the sponginess of the Aria and other 4lb foams I’ve tried (none of which hold any impression beyond 1 or 2 seconds). I would describe the topper as a more “traditional” feeling memory foam rather than the fast responding, spongy, memory foams out now.

Every topper I’ve looked at in my area did not have the slow response time that I’ve come to expect from higher density memory foam. Some were expensive but felt like polyfoam, bouncing back instantly. Even Serta and other brands selling for way more did not hold the impression at all as if it’s not even memory foam but just some spongy polyfoam. This is not a miracle topper by any means, but it is the best I’ve tried, and I’d be interested in what others who try it think. It truly does come close to the Contour, much closer than other “competitors” who directly compare their product to the contour.

Hi EZ4HZ,

While there is no specific “feel” or response that is directly related to density because any density of memory foam can use a wide range of chemical formulations that result in very different properties (including response speed) … I do understand what you mean because the industry in general has moved away from the slower response types of memory foam because of the number of complaints about sleeping temperature or the motion restriction or “sleeping in sand” feeling that comes from slower response materials so it’s more difficult to find slower response or more “traditional” memory foams particularly in lower density ranges.

The other issue you will be facing is that lower density memory foams will soften and break down or lose the properties that were the reason you liked them much more quickly than higher density memory foams but of course this is one of the tradeoffs that usually goes with much lower prices.

Phoenix