Looking to replicate Naturepedic Halcyon Arcadia

Hello TMU group,

My wife and I recently tested a few mattresses and really liked the Naturepedic Halcyon Arcadia…but didn’t like the price. I am looking to go the DIY route and get close to this and was hoping for some feedback on my plan. Here is a little history on my wife and I:

Me: 5’-11", 195 lbs. Athletic build with broad shoulders (waist 34", chest 42"). Primarily a side sleeper occasionally moving to my back.
Wife: 5’-7", 145 lbs. Athletic build as well. Primarily a back sleeper moving to her side.

Current Mattress: Tempurpedic Cloud. My wife is fine on this mattress but I sleep hot. I could also use a little more pressure relief as I sometime get my arms falling asleep. We both like plush feeling mattresses.

Naturepedic Halcyon Arcadia setup: Plush base coils, plush micro coils, soft dunlop topper, 3" wool topper

Proposed DIY setup:
8" - Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa - Arizona Premium Mattress
1" - Micro Pocketed Coil - DIYMattress.com
3" - Natural Talalay Mattress topper - Plush 20-24 ILD - Arizona Premium Mattress
Bamboo/cotton knit encasement (maximum breathability)

3" - Alpaca & Wool mattress topper (if needed)

Ultimate goal is a mattress that sleeps as cool as possible with maximum airflow and still provides good pressure point relief. Our bed will be an eastern king and I was going to get the base coils in king, then the micro coils and topper in twinXL to help with movement isolation and additional adjustability for each side. I don’t know how the base and micro coils compare between the Halcyon and my DIY approach but the DIY plan is about 1/4 the cost of the Halcyon so there is some room for experimentation. We also went by European Sleep Works and out of their selection like the Nordic II HDM which has base coils, two layers of micro coils and two layers of talalay latex so we are finding a pattern on what we like.

I have learned more about mattresses from this website than I thought was possible and really appreciate any feedback and suggestions from the group.

Hi csufman

Glad to hear you have a plan for replacing your mattress. The Naturepedic Halcyon is, as you say quite pricey, and with a little ‘due diligence’ you should be able to replicate similar. Your DIY plan is sound, The coils, cotton/bamboo cover and the topper will definitely allow more breathability to counter your sleeping ‘hot’. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that you may find interesting as you embark in your DIY. Both Arizona Premium and DIY Mattressoffer quality components you mention and you can ask them to match the feel of the Naturepedic mattress and they can provide a solution based on your stats(Height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health issues) and your PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) so you and your wife can maximize the pressure point relief you want with the air circulation afforded by using breathable materials and possibly a topper; The Talalay mattress topper you propose is a good fit as Talalay is considered more pressure relieving than Dunlop as it provides a deeper ‘cradle’ in the same ILD. Its great you have also tested the Nordic II HDM in person as well, you are getting an idea of what you want and just need to zero in on what feels most comfortable to you and your wife.

As you say, it will be difficult to match what is basically an over $8000 mattress with the Halcyon, but your DIY setup seems to be sound and will be a fraction of the cost. Possibly other consumers can weigh in on your build, as we have a lot of DIY enthusiasts here.

Please let us know your experience with your new mattress once you have spent some time with it.

Basilio