Looking to upgrade King Mattress, Likely mail order (central nebraska)

Wife and I looking to replace a second hand sagging king denver mattress pillowtop matress we got from my sister. I’m about 205# she’s about 150#. I sleep hot, no I’m just always hot. We both wake up sore somedays, and I didn’t consider the mattress could be somewhat to blame, besides our 3 kids 5 and under. So, hoping a new mattress will help in that matter some.

Here is what I’ve sort of narrow it down to.

https://dynastymattress.ecrater.com/p/15178233/12-king-coolbreeze-gel-memory-foam

Brooklyn Bedding

probably medium firmness. unless someone talks me into firm

Ultimate Dreams from Dreamfoam Bedding

would take their advice, on firmness.

Nebraska Furniture mart in Omaha is an option, 200 miles away but visiting family there next week. Not really crazy about that idea. if don’t feel great about anything gather online could go there and try to figure out PPP of some beds there, if we can get someone to watch kids for few hours.

Can’t decide what to do for foundation. Have a box spring, could build a slat frame. If could order something for around $200 may do that.

This forum has made me second guess everything I ever thought about mattresses.

Would take any advice or experience any one has. I would also like to know what type of mattress Phoenix owns :slight_smile:

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dt13,

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

You can see some comments about Dynasty in posts #3 and #4 here and a forum search on Dynasty (you can just click the link) will bring up more information about them as well. I would always make sure you know the foam density of all the layers in any mattress you are considering.

I would also keep in mind that there is always some additional risk and uncertainty involved in buying a mattress that is made in China or other imported mattresses that may be subject to longer periods of compression during shipping and storage that can sometimes affect the durability and useful life of the mattress (see post #6 here).

Their return policy also doesn’t include the cost of returning the mattress (the customer is responsible for all return shipping costs) which could be significant if the mattress doesn’t turn out to be a suitable a “match” in terms of PPP as you hoped for.

[quote]Brooklyn Bedding - Brooklyn Bedding

https://www.dreamfoambedding.com/product/ultimate-dreams-eurotop-latex-mattress/[/quote]

Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding are sister companies that are made in the same factory and both of them are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Both of these are latex/polyfoam hybrids which would be very different from a memory foam mattress such as the one you are considering from Dynasty. There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here.

There is also more about both of these mattresses in post #2 here and in post #2 here but they both use high quality materials (latex comfort layers on top of a 2 lb polyfoam base layer) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them. Either one would certainly make a great quality/value choice…

If you are going to Omaha anyway the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Omaha/Lincoln, NE areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

I’m not sure you are clear between the difference between a box spring and a foundation. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

Any mattress with a polyfoam support core will do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

There is more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic may be helpful as well.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person (including me) or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on even if they are in a similar weight range or have similar sleeping positions (see post #13 here).

Having said that … and while it wouldn’t have any relevance to which mattress would be “best for you” … you can see the details of the mattress I sleep on in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I think I’ve researched and searched pretty decent. then I post and BOOM, i feel like i haven’t read anything. Thanks!

I called mark this morning at Midwest bedding and got a good feeling, don’t think I should be judging whole mattress on that but felt nice to talk to a person about the whole deal instead of just reading.

Going to go visit him Thursday and check out their latex mattresses and also discuss buying a good innerspring mattress(around $500) and a topper (around $150) . That would be a flippable mattress and then could replace the topper every few or five years whenever we see fit. That option seemed pretty decent to me.

Thanks ATON

Dave

Hi Dt3,

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit … and of course any other comments or questions you may have that I can help with along the way.

Dealing with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer that can provide good guidance and that already knows what you would otherwise need to learn can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Phoenix

Visited Mark Thursday. Very helpful and didn’t try to make us lay on all the mattresses, talked and then he chose 3 to have us lay on which I thought was very helpful. Not at all pushy just helpful.

We tried an all latex set for $1498 and liked it best with a 2: superfoam topper. Decided not the best option with price.

Tried a King Plush innerspring for $585 with the same topper above. Decided liked this least of all of them

Decided more than likely going to buy a flippaple innerspring pillowtop mattress with a 1 1/2" ILD36 latex layer. This set is $989.

Honestly this is mostly my wif’e’s choice, I thought all the mattresses where comfortable. We like our current pillow top and having a flippable one seems great.

Can’t decide if I should buy new boxspring from Mark or buy one of these and not use a box spring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZQCJVC?tag=theeway155-20

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dt3,

Thanks for the update … and assuming that you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It would depend on whether it’s an actual box spring or a foundation. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and a foundation has has no springs and has little to no flex. Box springs are uncommon in the industry today because most mattresses are one sided and need a foundation rather than a box spring. A box spring is most commonly used with two sided mattresses and can play a noticeable role in the comfort and support of a mattress so if a two sided mattress comes with a box spring and that’s what you tested it on that’s what I would use.

There is more information about different types of support systems (including bedframes, foundations, and platform beds) that are generally the most suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

My first choice would always be to use the foundation or box spring that is recommended by a knowlegeable retailer or manufacturer and it’s always a good idea to check with the manufacturer of your mattress to make sure that any support system you use is suitable for your mattress and meets their warranty criteria.

Phoenix

ADMIN NOTE: Switched to a new topic from the original topic it was posted in here.

Hi,

My wife and I were just in the same boat and ordered a dream foam bedding mattress off Amazon (king sized too!). Seems to have great reviews and is a member for the forum. I’ll post a review when I get a chance to “sleep on it” for awhile!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2OSMEA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

Hi jdhuggar,

I switched your post to a new topic of it’s own since it was outside the scope of the original topic you posted in and so your comments wouldn’t get mixed with the comments from another members topic.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Just for the sake of reference … while Dreamfoam is a member of this site, Amazon isn’t so any bonuses that the forum members here are eligible for don’t apply to purchases from Amazon.

Purchases from their own site also have a 10% discount available and would also be eligible for their 45 day trial period which is also a little more generous than Amazons return policy.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix