Loom and Leaf vs Brooklyn Bedding

Hi,

New poster here. I am in the market for a new mattress since I just moved. And I’ve been looking at two options, One is getting a Japanese Tatami Bed here locally. The second is this new wave of bed in a box mattresses (Casper, Leesa, Tuft & Needle… etc).

I did tons of research on these mattress to the point I could do no more. Even though they have good return policies I wanted to get it right the first time and not go through the process of buying/trying/return/ on and on. I narrowed it down to the Yogabed and the Leesa, and last week I bit on the Yogabed. I got it and to be honest it didn’t really live up to the hype. Which has me a bit skeptical. So I’m thinking about returning it.

I like a firm mattress. It so far hasn’t lived up to the claims. The first night’s sleep was very bad (though it has improved since then). It was hot, I wake up with neck soreness, and despite reading reviews it isn’t as firm as I’d like. Leesa would have been my next choice but I don’t think it will be much different.

So that has me looking at the Loom and Leaf and Brooklyn Bedding because they both offer firm options. (I do prefer the boxy look of the newer mattress rather than the classic look of these other two brands). Has anyone tried these, or do they have any words of wisdom? What do you guys think?

Hi thisnameismine,

[quote]I did tons of research on these mattress to the point I could do no more. Even though they have good return policies I wanted to get it right the first time and not go through the process of buying/trying/return/ on and on. I narrowed it down to the Yogabed and the Leesa, and last week I bit on the Yogabed. I got it and to be honest it didn’t really live up to the hype. Which has me a bit skeptical. So I’m thinking about returning it.

I like a firm mattress. It so far hasn’t lived up to the claims. The first night’s sleep was very bad (though it has improved since then). It was hot, I wake up with neck soreness, and despite reading reviews it isn’t as firm as I’d like. Leesa would have been my next choice but I don’t think it will be much different.[/quote]

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Having said that … most of the “simplified choice” mattresses that only have a single firmness option such as the Yogabed and the Leesa would be more in the medium part of the range for most people since this is the largest part of the bell curve that would be suitable for the most people. If your preferences are either softer or firmer than average then it would make sense to choose a mattress that has different firmness choices.

There are some comments about both the Loom & Leaf and the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver (along with many of the other simplified choice mattresses) in post #2 here of the simplified choice mattress topic.

These are very different from each other because the Loom & Leaf is a memory foam mattress (memory foam layers on top of polyfoam) and the BestMattressEver is a latex hybrid mattress (latex layers on top of polyfoam). There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which types or combinations of materials or which types of mattresses you tend to prefer will be based on your own local testing or personal experience.

Phoenix