Loom and Leaf vs. other brands

After reading as much as I can wrap my brain around, I believe we need a latex or memory foam mattress. My husband has a pacemaker that shakes the bed and motion transference is a huge problem so coil springs are out. We currently have a 100 percent latex bed that we were told was the perfect bed. It formed body indentations of 1 3/4’" within the first 6 months and feels awful. It is also hot. We think we are so far down in the mattress, it traps body heat. We want a medium to medium firm mattress and body indentations are a huge issue. We find the warranties range from 3/4" to 2 for indentations". How can a mattress give good support if it sinks 2" without any weight on it? We sleep well on most mattresses that do not have a lot of motion transference so I think most will work. But I’d like to keep the total price under 2K. I have found Loom and Leaf has a 3/4" indentation warranty. And it compares to Tempurpedic with a similar warranty. If a warranty is an indicator for performance, this appears like the best fit. I don’t think laying on a bed in a store for 15 minutes is going to tell me how I will actually sleep. It has not taught us anything at least. How can you compare the better priced online mattresses when hearing there are paid for review bloggers? Where do we go now? I’ve read everything on mattress properties, but it boils down to what will actually stand up to sleeping on the bed over 5 years without indentations that affect the comfort and support? Where are the results of those tests? The only thing I can find is that Tempurpedic has the highest satisfaction rating and the highest price… Loom and Leaf seems like the best imitation. My husband weighs about 200 lbs and I’m 130. Please help.

Hi Nene1957,

That’s a lot of questions that may be more complex than you realize for a single post and any one of them could probably take a book to answer so I’ll try and untangle them as much as possible :).

First of all (and to make sure that some of your basic assumptions are accurate) … I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

I would keep in mind that pocket coils are “good” at motion transfer so they may be worth considering. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article. Your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your own personal experience will be the best way to assess whether any mattress is “motion isolating enough” for you.

Latex and memory foam are also completely different materials that feel and respond very differently from each other and there are many people that prefer one and don’t like the other one at all. There is more about how latex compares to memory foam in very general terms in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which type of material or mattresses you tend to prefer would be based on your own local testing or personal experience.

There is certainly no such thing as a “perfect bed” in general terms … there is only a mattress that is “perfect” for a specific person and the same mattress may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on.

I would be curious about the make and model of your mattress and the materials and components inside it since there are many so called “all latex” mattresses that are sold in the industry that don’t only contain latex and that could also include lower quality materials or weak links in their design. The law tag on your mattress will tell you whether there are any other materials besides latex in your mattress. While it’s certainly possible that your mattress contains layers or components that are defective … latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials and is much less likely to develop soft spots (virtual impressions) or sagging (visible impressions) than other types of foam. It would also be well worth checking your support system under the mattress since this can also be a common cause for sagging in a mattress (you can check this by putting the mattress on the floor for a few nights).

Latex in general is also the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but as you mentioned the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

I would also keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness (and “feel”) compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

The warranty of a mattress has very little to do with the useful life of a mattress or how long it may be before you need to replace it and it certainly isn’t an indicator of performance. Warranties only cover defects in a mattress and not the gradual (or rapid in the case of lower quality materials) loss of comfort and support that is the main reason people will need to replace their mattress. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

There is more information about what I call “simplified choice mattresses” that are sold online in general in post #1 here and there are some comments about Loom & Leaf and many of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here in the same topic. Forum searches on Loom Leaf (You can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

For the majority of people … with careful testing (using the guidelines in the tutorial) their choice will generally be “close enough” that if any fine tuning is necessary it would be relatively minor and involve different mattress pads, sheets, mattress protectors, or perhaps even a topper (if their mattress is too firm) or a layer exchange (see post #4 here and post #10 here).

While most of the online simplified choice mattresses have a great trial period so you can test them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend trying it (or returning/donating it if it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped) … this will only tell you whether a mattress is “good enough” in terms of PPP and not specifically how it compares to other mattresses that you could have purchased that may have been even better or that you may have preferred. When you test mattresses at a local store you can test many different mattresses in a shorter period of time and there may be more than one that would make a suitable choice but your testing can give you a good idea of which of them you would prefer and would likely to be the “best choice”. You would need to purchase quite a number of online mattresses (and then return the ones you didn’t like as much as your “final choice”) if you wanted to find out which of them was the “best choice” relative to the other options that are available to you.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you can find out the specifics of the materials and components inside it (see this article) and confirm that they meet the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well…

In other words … in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label and knowing the specifics of the materials and components in a mattress is the most reliable way to assess the durability of any mattress compared to others you may be considering.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) are only one person’s experience on a particular mattress and aren’t relevant to anyone else and aren’t a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … regardless of the type of materials in the mattress or the cost of the mattress (see post #13 here).

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one but every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” and mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer.

Unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) then the only reliable way to know if a mattress will “feel” similar to you would be based on your own personal testing or your actual sleeping experience.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The tutorial includes a link to some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and many of them make mattresses that are designed to approximate some of the Tempurpedic mattresses as well so you can use your local testing on different Tempurpedic mattresses as a guideline for a similar online choice.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

I’'ve been testing beds and the bed I think works best for us is the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. So I’m trying to find a retailer that mimics that bed the best with comparable quality foam. I’ve contacted several that were recommended here, but my concern is the negative reviews online of the companies. The one that seems to have the best quality foam (as far as I can tell) is Select Foam Cirrus Luxe ES- 13. But company reviews are mixed. I know Loom and Leaf has great great customer reviews, but it appears there is a question about their foam density. So here is what would really help me. Can I find a list of mfg that mimic the Tempurpedic cloud line with the best quality foam? Reasonable priced? Good company? Some of these companies don’t answer the phone, don’t return calls and just don’t seem to know much. Rocky Mountain didn’t seem to know anything about their mattresses compared to Tempurpedic. We’ve ruled out latex and innerspring, like the Tempurpedic line the best. But very specifically prefer the cloud luxe mattress.

I’ve checked on our latex mattress and it appears they use a lesser quality latex combination on the top of the mattress that breaks down quickly. So much for 100 percent latex.

Hi Nene1957,

The memory foam list in the tutorial (in the optional online step) includes several manufacturers or retailers that make mattresses that are comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe both in terms of firmness and also in terms of the quality and durability of the materials inside them. Off the top of my head … they include Dreamfoam, Select Foam, Christeli, and Selectabed. Some of the others that are listed there may also be able to tell you whether any of their mattress are reasonably comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe as well.

What is the name of the manufacturer and the model of your mattress? Did you check the law label (it would be great if you could post a picture on the forum). It would be very uncommon to find any “low quality” latex that developed 1 3/4" impressions in 6 months since any type or blend of latex is generally a very durable material. While it’s more likely that there are other materials in your mattress or that the support system under the mattress are the reason for the premature impressions … it’s certainly possible that the latex in your mattress was defective (in which case I would contact the retailer or manufacturer to start a warranty claim).

It’s very common in the industry that people purchase what they believe (or are told) is an “all latex” mattress only to discover that what they actually purchased isn’t what they believed it was at all.

Phoenix

I cannot find a law label , but here is the link to the website and our mattress. It looks like they cover their mattresses with something called Cushionflex and that is what broke down so badly. A local sales rep for another store guessed where we bought the bed based on my description of our problems. Evidently they get a lot of unsatisfied customers coming there to replace these mattresses. For the uninformed, you don’ know what is normal and what is abnormal. I contacted the store as soon as we noticed the indentations and they said this is how latex works and it is not defective. They said it had to be over 2" to be considered defective. I can measure 1 7/8" without any pressure and if I lay my fist on the bed or even 10 pounds it sinks 3 inches. We have lived with this mattress for 10 years and came away very jaded with the mattress industry. Then some friends of our bought the same latex mattress a couple of years ago and within a year absolutely hate it. I’ve contacted them recently and told them how unhappy we have been with our mattress and they claim that their warranty is the industry standard. That is why I was so concerned about indentation warranties. Loom and Leaf and Tempurpedic have a 3/4" in indentation and Select Foam has a 1/2" indentation. I’m worried about customer service should we have a problem. Select Foam has less than favorable reviews on customer service.

After trying out a number of mattresses, I like the cloud luxe breeze. It feels so much cooler than the other Tempurpedic beds that are the non breeze. Loom and Leaf has a nice cooling gel on their mattress. I am still not sure if they won’t be a good fit. My husband and I are not big people and I am really wanting the cooler mattress. Our latex is not cool at all.

Here is the link to our current mattress. Feel free to give them a call or email and find out what you can about their cushion flex and why they would stick a bunch of poor quality fibers on a latex bed that would break down and ruin the quality of the mattress.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: nwbedding.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=38343

Hi Nene1957,

Cushionflex would be a polyurethane foam that is used in the quilting of the mattress and it could certainly be part of the issues you are experiencing.

According to the Northwest Bedding website warranty information here … the warranty exclusion for the depth of impression that is considered “normal” is 1.5" so if you have impressions that are deeper than that without any weight on the mattress and that aren’t the result of any sagging in your support system then I would call them to initiate a warranty claim.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: nwbedding.com/warranty_information.ydev

How much you sink in when you are lying on the mattress is relative to the firmness of the comfort and transition layers in the mattress so if you are sinking in too much when you lie on the mattress it’s more likely that you have a mattress that is too soft rather than a mattress that is defective.

On the other hand … if the visible impressions in your mattress are 1 7/8" without any weight on the mattress then you would likely have a warranty claim. This certainly isn’t how “latex works” and it also appears that the store isn’t providing you with accurate information about the warranty criteria for your mattress and I would call the manufacturer to find out the specifics of your warranty.

They are correct that with a mattress that has a cover that is quilted with either natural or synthetic fibers or with quilting foam the most common warranty exclusion in the industry is 1.5".

Mattresses that aren’t quilted and that use premium materials in the top layers such as latex or memory foam in the comfort layers often have a warranty exclusion that is .75".

While their mattresses certainly use high quality and durable materials … it’s also true that some of the members here that have purchased from them have experienced some delays and customer service issues after their purchase that has been the source of some frustration (see the link after their description in the online memory foam list here). A forum search on Select Foam (you can just click the link) will also bring up more forum comments and feedback about them as well. NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. Latex in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the different foam materials (latex foam, polyfoam, memory foam) but there are many other reasons including the layers and components above the latex and the firmness/softness of a mattress that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress as well.

Phoenix

Interesting. They told me that the warranty was for over 2" and now I see it is less than that. Misinformation. Another trick, warranty is void if there are any stains. Who doesn’t have a stain after years of use? Sorry, but this is just the kind of crap I want to avoid. It’s like voiding a warranty on a car if you have tire scrape marks. They cannot resell used mattress so claiming a stain voids the warranty i stupid. I called them within the first year and complained loudly and was told it is normal, didn’t affect comfort, support, blah blah. It was total BS.

So now to make a decision. I ordered the Loom and Leaf but did express my concern about their secretiveness about the foam density used. And the salesman totally agreed with me on that. I got the feeling they hear that a lot. He said he didn’t blame me but also that many mf don’t disclose specs and I said that many do and I would prefer to know what I am buying. I have spoken to Select Foam twice and they appear responsive but I had to leave voicemails and didn’t get anyone answering when I contacted them by phone. Hopefully they read reviews here and understand that many buyers will go on to the next company because no one wants headaches after the order is placed… I still want a mattress as close to the Luxe Breeze as I can find and am not finding the kinds of reviews to support that claim. it is easy to make a claim to get business but do the customers who buy the mattress agree. I tried out all the Tempurpedic mattress and the Supreme and Rhapsody were uncomfortable for me. I’m going to read the fine print now on the warranties of the companies I’m considering to see if the stain or other tricks are used to void the warranty.

Hi Nene1957,

This is also a “standard” criteria for almost all mattress warranties in the industry and it’s one of the reasons why a good quality mattress protector is always a good idea with any mattress you purchase.

As I mentioned in my previous replies … a mattress warranty has little to nothing to do with with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long you are likely to sleep well on it and the most reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of any mattress is by knowing the type and quality of all the layers and components inside it. IMO … it’s much too risky to purchase a mattress from a manufacturer or retailer that isn’t willing or able to disclose the information that you need to make an informed choice about the quality and durability of the materials or to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

I would also keep in mind that “feel” is so subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, individual circumstances, sensitivities and preferences, or what someone is used to sleeping on and is using as a reference point, that two mattresses that feel the same to one person can feel very different to someone else and the only way to know whether two mattresses will “feel” similar to you in terms of firmness, “feel” and PPP will be based on your own personal experience (regardless of how similar they may feel for someone else).

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

Thanks for your help. Have had a lot to consider. I did look at Loom and Leaf and their warranty is void if there is any soil marks. Select has an “abnormal soil” in their warranty. I know what you are saying about the bones of the mattress being solid and knowing what you are getting. I am pretty sure I will be canceling the loom and leaf based on their lack of disclosure and voiding if soiled. Not sure what “abnormal” means. I have ordered a new mattress cover from Luna regardless. We did have a water proof cover at one time but it was so hot., we bought another one from the mattress company that we bought the bed from and since bought several more over the years. It did not protect the mattress from my granddaughter’s bloody nose those. I don’t know why any kind of stain would void a mattress defect warranty. One has nothing to do with the other, unless the mattress is saturated. Oh, I digress. I hope we are happy with the Select mattress or it will go back. We will make sure it suits us in comfort. We have a second bed in our downstairs bedroom we could sleep in if need be.

Hi Nene1957,

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here. The Luna is one of the “thin membrane” type of mattress protectors that have a “semi breathable” waterproof membrane.

The “argument” is that it’s mainly for hygienic and health reasons to protect the people that handle the mattress. A stain can also indicate that moisture or liquids have entered the mattress which can damage or degrade some types of foam or other materials and this type of damage is considered to be “abuse” and also isn’t covered by a warranty.

Assuming that you are purchasing a Select Foam mattress … I hope you are happy with it as well … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

They are also one of the few manufacturers that allow a return if there is a relatively minor stain on a mattress (see post #2 here) but of course it’s always a good idea to prevent any stains instead of hoping that any stain will be “minor enough” to still be covered by a warranty.

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

I’ve made up my mind. I will pull the trigger on the Select Foam Cirrus Luxe ES 13" I am not totally confident with their customer service based on some of the reviews and their BBB ratings are poor. Hopefully the product is everything it is supposed to be and I will not have any issues. I am pretty confident in my selection of mattress, so unless it is defective or they don’t deliver the product or it is damaged, I am hoping for a good outcome. Saatva has made its name on their great reviews and customer support. Websites like this one affect sales. Unhappy or happy customers spread the word about personal experience. Buying a mattress is so complex and frustrating, the last thing the customer needs is a difficult retailer. I will be posting feedback on how it goes here, you can be sure. Good, bad, whatever. I am excited about the new mattress. It looks like the closest to the TP Cloud Luxe Breeze. Let’s hope we get it and all goes well. Now to schedule removal of the old one. This mattress comes FedEx in a box so no pick up option on the old one.

Hi Nene1957,

I certainly hope that this site affects sales since one of the goals of the site is to help change the industry by helping consumers understand how to make better quality/value purchases based on more objective information rather than marketing information (or hype) and to help “connect” them to sources of better quality/value mattresses that they may not otherwise know about.

Saatva is an example where the quality of their mattress doesn’t match their service or their customer reviews (which they “manage” very carefully) and Select foam is an example of the opposite where they sell a very high quality/value mattress but unfortunately their after sales customer service has a lot of room for improvement.

Some of the information in this topic may be helpful.

Phoenix

Order is placed with Select Foam for the Cirrus 13" luxe mattress. It was not cheap. And I hope it is worth it. They do have a better warranty than most so I feel better about that. And of course, mostly due to the foam quality they use in their mattresses. Due to conversations here, I measured and photographed our current mattress as the store told me to send in a claim showing the defects. So I did that. Different person on the phone today, different attitude. Still said it is up to the mfg and not the store. Even if they replace the mattress at no charge, the new one would go into a guest room where it would be lightly used. This mattress is poorly constructed on the top layer and I am not interested another failure. I told the person on the phone exactly what has transpired and he didn’t argue with me. I do think they have a standard response to purchasers that is false. That up to 2" of indentation is normal in a new mattress, even a latex mattress. I’ll keep you posted on the Cirrus bed and our claim. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will keep the old mattress until we get a response from NW Bedding on the defect claim. The stain is small and at the head of the bed. I did speak to Rocky Mountain today. Very helpful, but they have a clause that says the buyer has to pay return shipping on the mattress if it doesn’t work out, so that was a no go. Not pushy at all. And very helpful.

Hi Nene1957,

It may not be “cheap” (and cheap can often turn out to be very "expensive) but it’s certainly good quality/value.

As you know this is just nonsense.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about how you like it once you receive it.

I’m also looking forward to finding out about the results of your warranty claim as well.

Phoenix

Now onto the next purchase. Do we need new box springs or foundation? The Select Foam foundation is $400, Which seems pricey and the reviews on it are not great. I assume a lot of that is the cost to ship. So I would prefer to pick that up locally. Can you advise where we can find something at a low cost that will be well made? Also, we are considering a low profile, but not sure how that will work. The Cirrus mattress is 13" and our current mattress is 12". Our bed frame is Restoration Hardware linen chesterfield and the mattress hides a lot of the beauty. I am not sure if the low profile would be too low. I measure it and it is the same height as our queen guest room bed. We have a king downstairs that sets quite a bit higher. It feels like the Jolly Green Giant bed to me. Are the low profile foundations for the even thicker mattresses? Our current foundations came with our latex bed and are 11 years old… they look new but not sure that matters. Then I will be looking at your pillow conversations. It never ends. Our zip code is 99224. I’'e be happy to buy local and save on shipping if we need a new one.

Hi Nene1957,

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic (which would apply to any foam mattress) may be helpful as well.

The height of a support system is just a preference choice that will affect the height of your sleeping surface and outside of your own preferences one height isn’t any better or worse than another.

If you add up the height of all the support components you would be using under your mattress (bedframe and foundation) and then add the thickness of the mattress you would have the height of your sleeping surface and you can compare it to your current mattress and support system (or others that you are familiar with) as a reference point and decide if you would prefer something that is the same or lower or higher.

If your current foundation meets the criteria for your mattress in the reference post I linked and there is no sagging, flexing, or weak areas and it provides a flat and rigid support surface and has good center support to the floor then it would probably be fine. If there is any flexing or sagging or bowing or weak areas in the support surface then it would be a good idea to replace it.

You may have found this already but the main pillow topic here and the topics it links to should be helpful.

Phoenix

We are anxiously awaiting our Select Foam mattress order. I do have some friends who are interested in purchasing mattresses locally. 'Can you recommend a store in or near Spokane, Wa? We’ve tried NW Bedding and have been very disappointed in our latex mattress. We did make a claim for defect but based on their warranty and attitude in general, we don’t expect much. They use some sort of hybrid on the top layer that leaves deep indentations within 6 months. Is there another local company you can recommend? TKS.

Hi Nene1957,

I would always keep in mind that in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here about any mattress you are considering so you can compare the materials and components in the mattress to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any mattress you are considering. You will often find that some mattresses that are made by a manufacturer may use some lower quality materials that would be a “weak link” in the mattress while others may not and would be worth considering.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Spokane and Coeur d’Alene areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I noticed in your post 4 that Northwest bedding is the first entity listed with a good product… Since that is where we had a bad experience, I thought you should know. they told us we were getting a 100 percent latex mattress and yet the top layer was a combination of I don’t know what that failed miserably in the first year. That is where all the sinkage is that they claimed is expected. I don’t think the company disclosed exactly what the beds are topped with, nor do they stand behind their product. When I and a neighbor contacted them at very different times about different mattresses, their response was the same. Visible and physical deep indentations are normal within the first year. these are 100 percent Talalay mattresses. I’ve made a claim but cannot get mail until next week. I am not very hopeful they will do anything since it has been so long. I walked way after their response with a “I’ll never buy from them again” but then see you are recommending them as a local vendor in the Spokane region. FYI, I bought the mattress there to support local business but I do not feel their product, return policy or warranty is nearly as good as some online mattress companies.

Hi Nene1957,

I’m not sure if you were dealing directly with Northwest Bedding or with one of their retailers but I would certainly consider Northwest Bedding itself to be one of the better “possibilities” in the area but all the local forum lists are always subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I’ve linked in my previous replies (including a layer by layer description of all the layers and components in a mattress so you can confirm that there aren’t any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress).

I would never remove a manufacturer or retailer from a forum list based on only one person’s experience (which could easily be an anomaly or even a defect in one specific mattress) and many manufacturers make some mattresses that may be good quality/value choices and some that aren’t (which is why “brand shopping” is never a good idea).

As I mentioned in my earlier reply … in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials and components inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

If you aren’t comfortable dealing with them after your experience (even though your experience wasn’t with them and was with one of their retailers) then of course I can certainly understand that and there are other possibilities in the area but IMO they would still be worth considering on a “mattress by mattress” basis for others that may be in the area.

If your mattress has an impression that is deeper than their warranty exclusion then I would also talk to them about initiating a warranty claim.

Phoenix