Lost in a sea of mattresses

Hi everyone- We recently fell in love with the Vi Spring mattress- however, with a $10k price tag, it’s about $7-8k over budget. Can you recommend something similar with an innerspring 2-sided? Most recently we’ve looked at the Green Mattress and Habitat Furnishings.

Hi sleepsuffering,

While there are certainly other mattresses that use a combination of innersprings and natural fibers (see post #4 here) and there would likely be other types of mattresses as well that use completely different materials and components that you would find just as comfortable, just as suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), and would be just as durable, they won’t be “the same” in terms of how they “feel” and when you are considering a hand built mattress that uses a combination of natural fibers and pocket coils then the only other mattresses that “may be” somewhat similar would be some of the other ultra premium mattresses such as HastensSavoirRelyon … and Hypnos.

There is more about Vi Spring and other “ultra premium” mattresses in post #2 here and post #2 here but I would be very careful to differentiate how you feel “about” the Vi Spring and how you feel “on” the Vi Spring. In some cases a mattress in this budget range may be “worth it” for a particular person that isn’t price sensitive and that has specific criteria that for some reason aren’t available in lower budget ranges but this would be unusual and in general I would need a very compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of comfort and PPP, just as durable, and that are in much lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The first place to start your research into an “alternative” is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

If you are considering an online purchase then the optional online step in the tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (which includes My Green Mattress) that would be well worth considering.

You can see my thoughts about Habitat latex mattresses in post #3 here and a forum search on Habitat (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them. Their latex mattresses use good quality materials but they have limited options to “fit” their mattresses to different people, body types, and sleeping positions and they are also an “all or nothing” choice that don’t provide any options after a purchase other than returning the mattress. While they are a “better than average” choice compared to many mainstream mattresses … for most of the members here that are aware of the many other online choices that are available to them they wouldn’t be in the best “value” range compared to the many latex options that are included in the list of members here that sell latex mattresses online that are linked in the tutorial post. They also don’t sell innerspring mattresses.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Phoenix- thank you so much for the detail and links! We’re located in 11231, I also forgot to mention that one reason we found the vi spring so nice was comfort PLUS health. We want to stay away from harsh chemicals and retardants.

Hi sleepsuffering,

There are many options available when it comes to either natural, chemical free, or “safe” materials that can avoid the use of harmful chemicals in a mattress.

There is more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how natural is natural enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues can be complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New York City area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

There are many options in the general area that would probably fit your general criteria for a “chemical free” mattress

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

We really like the feel of this mattress but would love to have the ability to flip it and have the non toxic version http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/hotel-collection-by-aireloom-vitagenic-hc-luxury-plush-pillowtop-mattress-sets?ID=2089578&CategoryID=43091#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D11%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D7 let me know if you have any suggestions. We’ve had an awful time ordering online and receiving either a defective product or an uncomfortable one. We used the Underground to find this mattress as well but we’re concerned with some reviews stating it was too firm http://www.charlesprogers.com/powercore-estate-p-580.html?cPath=4_290

Very best,
Still Sleep Suffering

Hi sleepsuffering,

I would be very cautious about purchasing this mattress or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality and durability of the materials and components inside it no matter how comfortable it may be in a showroom (see this article).

Outside of PPP which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress … in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label because the quality and durability of the materials will determine how long you will sleep well on a mattress before it loses the comfort and support that was the reason that you purchased it and you would need to buy a new mattress (and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by a warranty),

If there are either lower quality materials or unknown materials in a mattress then it would be a very risky purchase and I would avoid it (see the guidelines here),

There are some links to lists of some of the better online choices I’m aware in the tutorial post (in the optional online step) that would be well worth considering if you are comfortable with an online purchase.

There are also no “standardized” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here).

I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

I would make sure that you’ve read post #2 here which I linked in a previous reply which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them but the only way to know for certain how a mattress will feel for you or whether it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) or your own personal experience.

Phoenix