Love my Luma Latex But I Sleep Too Hot Year Round So I’m Set on a Hybrid..

But can’t decide between Luma and Sleep EZ. I am slightly leaning toward purchasing from Sleep EZ due to the fact that the adjustable base they sell is more appealing to me than the adjustable base sold by Luma. I am also not certain about the NRG foam in one of Luma hybrids. But as far as overall mattress quality goes, I cannot decide.

Anyone have anything to say that could help me?

Hi Leesee,

As you know, any bed is unique to the sleepers using it, based on their Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health issues) and their PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief and Personal preferences). Good to see you are quite aware of the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know , and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to make a well-informed and suitable mattress selection.

As you are aware both SleepEZ and Luma Sleep are longtime trusted members of the site and both of these are not only durable mattresses but are using materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. Latex itself is a quite breathable material. While you would be making a final choice between “good and good” to make your final decision I’d revisit all the criteria of your personal value equation that were most important to you (see post #2 here ). The differences between them besides the cost would primarily be the differences in the type of latex that they use, the different exchange options, and the differences in design that would allow you to customize each mattress to different degrees (either with different firmness levels or types of latex) either before or after a purchase.

You mention sleeping ‘hot’; this is more of a common complaint with memory comfort layers, which having less breathability will tend to trap the body heat - The materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

Both beds you selected have latex on top of coils. Latex is a great choice for temperature regulation because it is the most breathable of the foam materials but the ticking/quilting materials, mattress protector, and sheets and bedding can also have a big effect on temperature regulation in a mattress as well. Coils are greatly assisting with breathability and ventilation, and wool in general is one of the most temperature regulating fibers. You can read more on Microclimates in Mattresses here and in post #29 here . In many situations, a cover or topper made of a more breathable material like wool, bamboo, cotton or combination are responsible for the moisture control and (natural fibers allow for more airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation), the type of ticking (cover) used (natural or more breathable fibers such as cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics will wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control),

I’d keep in mind that aside from the temperature concern you have, the designs of these two mattresses are quite different and will result in a different comfort/support and feel.The (14") Luma Hybrid Latex Slumber System has 3" of Dunlop or Talalay latex with a 2" layer of high density NRG foam that acts as a transition layer which is further away from the skin and has less impact on sleeping hot, with a quantum edge pocket coil layer. Their other hybrid the Natural Hybrid Latex Mattress has either a 4 or 5" layer of Dunlop or Talalay latex with a pocket coil support layer and a layer of HD stabilization foam all wrapped in Tencel cotton,

The (14") SleepEZ Hybrid is flippable with 3 comfort options, and consisting of 2 layers of latex on top of a Bolsono Pocket coil unit layer. All enclosed in an Organic Cotton Cover quitted to New Zealand Joma Wool

These are both great mattresses and unless you have a larger BMI either would be a good quality comfortable hybrid mattress. Both of these Trusted Members also allow for comfort layer exchanges in case you need to fine tune the feel. Since you do seem to be gravitating towards the SleepEZ Adjustable Base , and as the bed has the Joma wool quilting, that might just tip the scales in their favor, so you can get your sleep system entirely from one source…it’s really just a matter of preferences and you would not go wrong with either offering provided that you select the correct comfort/support level for your PPP.

~ Basilio

Thank you for such a detailed and helpful response, Basilio. I have decided to go with the Sleep EZ 360 Hybrid.

Hi Leesee,
Awesome! I think that’s a great choice! I hope you can come back and let us know your impressions once you’ve spent some time with it.
~ Basilio

Hi Basilio,

I’m also considering these two hybrid mattresses, and am wondering about your high BMI comment. I’m a high BMI stomach sleeper—5’10, 255 pounds—and love the feel of latex. Would one o fthese mattresses not be suitable for me?

Also, should I be looking at a coil-and-latex hybrid versus a firm all-latex mattress?

Thank you,
Alex

Hi Alex, and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

[quote] I’m also considering these two hybrid mattresses, and am wondering about your high BMI comment. I’m a high BMI stomach sleeper—5’10, 255 pounds—and love the feel of latex. Would one o fthese mattresses not be suitable for me?

Also, should I be looking at a coil-and-latex hybrid versus a firm all-latex mattress?

[/quote]
Well, it depends. Either may or may not be comfortable and supportive enough for a higher BMI sleeper…the ideal mattress is determined by your Stats and PPP, a big part of that is your preferences. A coil layer will give additional support but- not everyone likes the ‘feel’. I will say that if you choose Luma or [url= https://t hemattressunderground.com/list-all/item/arizona-premium-mattress-company] SleepEZ , give them your Stats and PPP and what sort of ‘feel’ you are looking for, they have options for all body types, and will be happy to help find the right choice.

~ Basilio

Thank you Basilio, I reached out and both companies have been helpful!