love tempur cloud - any alternatives out there?

Brooklyn Bedding makes a very similar model that has pretty good reviews. I have one of their products and love it. (They are also a member of this site)
http://www.brooklynbedding.com/memory-foam-mattresses/cool-supreme-memory-foam

Hi flybear,

The first place to start your research and comparisons is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will find most helpful.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the local retailers or manufacturers I’m aware of that would be worth calling to see if they have any mattresses that may be similar in design, performance, or feel to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme that you could test in person to see how closely they match based on your own perceptions and experience.

There is also a list of some of the better online memory foam manufacturers and retailers in post #12 here and several of these also make mattresses that use the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme as a reference point (including Brooklyn Bedding … thanks Visci0usx :)). There is more in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one.

Phoenix

Thank you all for your help- i am in Colorado - not sure if there is much out here regarding alternative mattress manufacturers -i am still reading myself through posts and info - this forum is great- however this will turn into an obscession for me lol- i can’t have latex components in my furniture as my son has a severe allergy- otherwise i would jump on latex

Hi flybear,

If you let me know your city or zip code in Colorado I’d be happy to let you know of any better options or possibilities I’m aware of that may be close to you.

Is your son’s allergy Type IV or type I?

If it’s type IV then a latex mattress would usually be fine (you can read more about latex allergies in post #2 here and the thread it also links to). If it’s type I (which is a true latex allergy to the proteins in the latex rather than a contact allergy) then this is quite rare but this means that any natural latex should be avoided (synthetic latex doesn’t have the proteins that are the cause of the latex allergy).

Phoenix

We have a Tempur-pedic that is in the area of 10 years old, during those 9 or so have been wonderful to sleep on., but now I think it is time to move on. as I bought this used for a few hundred dollars, and do not have a few thousand to replace it I will have to research ground up, have been all over this site as anyone with A.D.D. does… never been told I have it but I have trouble staying on topic to long unless it is about cars…

was in a furniture store shopping for bund beds and we stumbled across a Enso, the one with ALOE printed on it. do not remember the model, is was $1000 in a king, and that is how and why looking to figure out a bed bed. I know I do not sleep well anymore… so more tells me time to change the bed. we had an Original mattress factory bed, bought new and middle of the line that didn’t last well at all, maybe 4 years, but I know not to buy spring anymore…now just how to get through all the information and put it in line with what I have gotten off this wonderful web site !!!

I’m 6’ 225# side and belly sleeper, wife is 5’ 10" 150# side sleeper, ok think gel or the latex will win today cause I know I wake up to hot fully uncovered and wet some night, and what I have learned I believe will put us in the heavier densities 3-5 ? and we should be looking for Mattress made in 3 layers ? I have not found why are some mattresses 8" and other up to 14" just to make the bed higher off the ground and more expensive as they go up ( yes more material more money) I get that, but will that translate into a benefit for me or anyone else…

Are any of These worth Looking at ?
Brooklyn bedding , near our Moderator ? just a quick deduction from there name…
Restonic , found at Mattress Matters, Listed on a good place to look for beds in Cleveland, OH your list somewhere I found and printed out for reference

so I hope I have not been to in-depth but new to site and my head is spinning as usual with a large amount of research

Thanks Scott

Hi scott442,

the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will find most helpful and will help you find your way through the most important information on the forum. I would be very careful with Enso and make sure the foam densities are in line with the memory foam guidelines in post #10 here.

3 lb memory foam is low quality and certainly not a heavy density and at your weight I would tend to minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam as well and go with 5 lb or higher as much as possible. I would also be aware that memory foam (gel or otherwise) can tend to sleep warmer than other types of foam or fibers. Most gel memory foams can help a bit with temperature when you are going to sleep but once temperatures equalize they are still an insulator. There is more about different types of gel foams and temperature regulation in post #9 here.

All that’s really important is that a mattress provides you with good PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences) and uses high quality materials and the number of layers and the thickness that works best for you really makes little difference. Different layer combinations and different thickesses (of each layer and the mattress as a whole) are just a few of the ways that different mattresses can be designed to “match” the needs and preferences of different people but one isn’t inherently any “better or worse” than another. If a 6" mattress that has a single layer of a particular material was the one that works best for you then there would be no need for more layers. Your personal testing (or more detailed conversations on the phone if you are considering an online purchase) is the best way to choose the design that has the highest odds of working well for you.

[quote]Are any of These worth Looking at ?
Brooklyn bedding , near our Moderator ? just a quick deduction from there name…
Restonic , found at Mattress Matters, Listed on a good place to look for beds in Cleveland, OH your list somewhere I found and printed out for reference[/quote]

Brooklyn Bedding is one of the members of this site which means that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service.

Restonic is a licensee group of factories that are sold through retailers across the country. They make some better than avarage quality/value mattresses (they can be different in different areas of the country depending on which licensee factory services the area you are in) but it would depend on the price, knowledge, and service of the retailer that was selling them and on the specifics of the mattress you were considering. Many of their licensees are more transparent than many other larger manufacturers so they are well worth considering if you are dealing with a retailer that will give you the specifics of the materials and components inside their mattresses. If the retailer can’t or won’t provide you with the foam densities in particular then I would look elsewhere because without this there is no way to identify any potential weak links in the mattress or make meaningful quality/value comparisons with other mattresses.

I’m glad you found the Cleveland list here (for reference for others that read this post) and you have some good options available in the area.

Phoenix

80906 - and we do have the rare type allergy- not something to experiment with even with an epi pen on the nightstand …
Thank you for all your help!

Hi flybear,

[quote]we do have the rare type allergy- not something to experiment with even with an epi pen on the nightstand …
Thank you for all your help! [/quote]

I completely agree with you … a type I allergy is not something to take a chance on.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Colorado Springs area are listed in post #3 here.

Phoenix

I can tell you that I would not consider a mattress from americanfurniture - their foam is indeed on the low density side and thin - 2 inches - maybe 2.5 inches max - we have a twin " premium" memory foam from this place it is it simply awful … And they have the most un-knowledgeable sales people I have ever met - they sell furniture primarily…The mattress we bought from them came from china ( nothing against Chinese products but it didn’t look like one of the more reputable places either)

Denver mattress - I have tried all their beds and their foam density is usually 3.5 lb or less ( mostly they have no clue about their foams though - the sales person had to call the main office for any information) - not sure about their latex options but as far as foam goes I was not happy. I spend close to 3 hours in the store because the sales person knew nothing about foam densities - he kept bringing me those manufacturer models of their foam and offered me to press down on them to judge the quality- they had to look up composition of almost every mattress and had absolutely no idea what is in a tempurpedic ( it is good " stuff though - a comfort layer with good " stuff" underneath - people like it … ) - their prices for their higher line models are probably as much as the tempur pedic I like and felt inferior … The sales people were nice - we almost became friends - and had coffee -they were very motivated to help- but in the end they were not helpful in finding a mattress.

The Pueblo places are a bit out of the way for me - I would probably rather drive to Denver …

Hi flybear,

Thanks for the feedback about them. They are included on the list because they told me that they would provide the density of all the foam in their mattresses to their customers which is the single most important piece of information you need when you are considering a mattress. The thickness of the layers are not as important (2" - 2.5" of foam in a comfort layer is fine for some people depending on the rest of the materials and components in a mattress) but the quality of the materials is something that you can’t “feel” when you are testing the mattress. the only mattresses I would consider there are the Old West mattresses (which includes memory foam, innerspring, and a latex hybrid) because you won’t be able to find this information out with their Thomasville or Bassett mattresses. I talked to them today just before writing this and they once again told me that they would provide the information their customers need to make meaningful assessments and comparisons of their Old West mattresses but just to make sure I asked them to phone their factory rep and find out the polyfoam density in one or two of their mattresses and call me back to make sure Old West will probide this to them. They also mentioned that they use 4 lb memory foam (medium density/quality) and talalay latex (about 5" and Talalay latex is a very high quality material) in the comfort layers of some of their hybrid mattresses which would be worth considering (except the latex of course in your case with a type I allergy).

3.5 lb density could either be a very high quality material or a low/medium quality material depending on the type of foam it was. At this density you are probably looking at memory foam (I don’t know of any of their mattresses that use 3.5 lb polyfoam) which is just under the minimum guideline I would normally consider (4 lb). Almost all of their foam specs are listed on their site (with a few exceptions that they can easily find out for you).

The only mattresses I would consider here are the ones that are made by Denver Mattress themselves. Their iChoice is the only one they make that has memory foam. It’s the top 3" layer in some of their iChoice mattresses and is 5 lb density which is high quality memory foam. They also make a “mostly latex” mattress which also uses high quality materials. They are open and transparent about all the materials in their own mattresses and include the (including their innerspring mattresses) and have better quality and value than most mainstream choices. The staff at some of their retail stores are less knowledgeable than others (and unfortunately you seem to have visited one of them) but most of their stores have staff that are more knowledgeable than most of the mainstream stores and you would be able to find out the quality of the materials in all of their mattresses (that they make) from any store so you can make meaningful quality and value comparisons.

If you do decide to drive to Denver then post #2 here has some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the area.

Phoenix

Stopped at Mattress Matters and Found the Restonic’s in our area come out of the plant in Nashville, TN with a 5# core and the sales person said they used a Talalay Latex bought from Mountaintop Latex, more specific’s I don’t remember… sorry, head was spinning with a couple hours at a 4 mattress stores, first stop was sleep source in Cleveland, the sales man had no clue how anything was made in that store ,just said the best you can buy is a water bed, then a Tempur-pedic… was not in there long… Did also stop at the Original Mattress Factory, the latex bed they had on display feel soft but also firm and kind rolling about, didn’t feel like I melted in, so to speak, felt like rolling around I would fall off… so that was quickly eliminated. More to come as I learn what I should be looking for.

Scott

Hi scott442,

Just for clarity … if the Restonic you tested used latex then the density doesn’t really matter because it changes with the firmness level. If it was memory foam then the 5 lbs would be in the comfort layers not in the support core (memory foam is too soft to use as a support core in a mattress). What you need when you are confirming the quality of the foam materials a mattress is the thickness of all the foam layers (from top to bottom), the density of any polyfoam or memory foam, and the type and blend of any latex.

Mountaintop doesn’t make any Talalay latex … only Dunlop. Most of the Restonics use Talalay (although this could vary from mattress to mattress or area to area).

I wouldn’t have stayed there long either :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: I switched your posts to a new thread so they are easier to follow and don’t get mixed up with the other one.

You made an excellent point about the different feel with the quilted foam !
I am torn - the topper won’t have the quilted foam top which i myself would like - i imagine it nice and soft and bouncy without the interference of padding and extra foam layer - but our Oma might enjoy a " real " mattress feel as this is what she is used to - i will discuss this with her…
The twin mattress is only about $100 more than a good topper - but a topper can be taken off and moved if needed … decisions decisions …

Phoenix,

What is your take on Tempurpedic in terms of quality? Are they above the rest is that why they. Demand such a premium?

Not sure if you remember I tried all latex but the top layers continue to soften too much and I. Have tried 3 different top layers and all soften too much for my liking.

Thinking of going back to a Tempurpedic. I had the Allura and while I liked it,I didn’t like the sinking in feeling. I guess there new line Cloud Luxe is the answer to this.

Is this type of bed less susceptible to softening?

What is the most softening resistant comfort layer on the market?

Thanks

Hi yianni54,

You can see my thoughts about Tempurpedic in post #2 here and the posts it links to. They are in the same quality range as any other memory foam of similar density (and usually lower cost) and the reason they demand such a premium is because of marketing and much higher profit margins.

[quote]Not sure if you remember I tried all latex but the top layers continue to soften too much and I. Have tried 3 different top layers and all soften too much for my liking.

Thinking of going back to a Tempurpedic. I had the Allura and while I liked it,I didn’t like the sinking in feeling. I guess there new line Cloud Luxe is the answer to this.

Is this type of bed less susceptible to softening?

What is the most softening resistant comfort layer on the market?[/quote]

The Allura uses higher density (more durable) memory foam than the Cloud Luxe so the Cloud Luxe will soften faster than the Allura. Since the Allura softened for you too quickly (according to your original post here)… the Cloud Luxe will do so even more quickly because the foam density is lower.

Latex is generally the most durable of the three main foam types (polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam). Some other types of comfort layers that are also very durable include microcoils, and buckling column gel both of which, like latex, are in the “very durable” range. Memory foam 5 lbs and higher is also a durable material (while 4 lb memory foam such as in the Cloud Luxe is generally softer but not as durable). Natural fibers such as wool and cotton are also very durable but they will “nest” and form some body impressions over time (which is a normal part of how they respond over time) and as they compress they will also tend to become firmer.

Because you have had several mattresses of different types that have appeared to soften for you more quickly than they do for others … I would suspect that you may be choosing mattresses that are too soft in the first place so even a small amount of normal softening that is part of all materials is putting you “over the line” in terms of the range of comfort and support that works well for you. You can read more about the factors that are part of the relative durability of a mattress in post #4 here and post #2 here has more about how durability is relative to the needs and preferences of each person.

Phoenix

Ok if the cloud is not right and the Allura didn’t workout, although it held up better than the latex mattresses, which temper would you recommend?

Also, which retailers are good for memory foam like Temperpedic? Thanks

Hi jianni54,

In case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices … and avoid the worst ones.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences for anyone to recommend a specific mattress for someone else based on “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) and your own personal testing for PPP is the best way to choose a mattress that is the best match for your needs and preferences. Other than this … knowing the specifics of what is in the mattress is the best way to make sure that the mattress uses durable materials and has no obvious weak links. I don’t recommend Tempurpedic at all.

There is a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam retailers and manufacturers in the tutorial post and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know or any of the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of. Many of the online retailers or manufacturers sell memory foam mattresses that approximate the Tempurpedic mattresses (you can see more in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another) but I would tend to minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam given your experiences and weight.

Phoenix

this forum is awesome and informative. I feel wonderful with all this new knowledge - but I still don’t have a mattress - why? Because NOW I am aware of all the wonderful options …

My son got tested again for latex and his blood test came back negative ( was positive as baby) - we also found a friend with a latex mattress and son slept at his house without a reaction whatsoever - we visited mattress stores and exposed him carefully ( I am a physician and travel with a defibrillator and emergency kit so- no - we are not reckless lol )- so far so good - I would carefully consider latex for my own bed in our bedroom ( son rarely goes in there and we do separate laundry) - which doesn’t make mattress shopping easier - even more choices now haha …

I kind of know what I like - either super soft memory foam beds that have a top layer that is slightly faster responding that the " regular" tempurpedic foam OR soft talalay with not too much quilting in the top layers

Do I go with a 3 layer latex Sleep Ez or similar that offers me a way to swap out layers - seems to be a smart system for a picky sleeper - it seems the best value for the money, the best reliability and quality and interchangeable should I start to hate it or should the softer layers wear out… But I have never slept on latex- only tried it about 15 minutes in stores ( at urban mattress and healthy back - I loved the HB plush bed - whatever the name was ) - I liked the feel but it is very different from what I am used to

or do I go with what I know best ( memory foam) - it would offer a similar feel but hopefully with much more comfort, support ad better alignment- I have been testing the tempurpedic cloud and pined for it for years - the cirrus lux from select foam looks very good to me as an alternative - especially with their outstanding customer service !!!..

I will you guys know once I manage to pull the trigger on something … You have educated me and empowered me to make a good decision - now I just have to kick myself to take the plunge heehee

Hi flybear,

That’s good news about your son. That’s unusual that the latex allergy has changed and I haven’t heard about this happening before (unless the of course original test was a false positive or the second test was a false negative). I hope that the second test turns out to be correct because as you know a type I latex allergy is nothing to play with.

I think that no matter what direction you end up going it will be a good quality/value choice but of course I also understand the challenge involved when there are many good options. As you know the choice between latex and memory foam is really a personal preference so I’ll have to leave that one to your “best judgement” :).

I’m looking forward to hearing about what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

a lot of long term hospitalized babies will test positive for latex - not all keep their allergies - for us it is the same with soy - he tested strongly positive for soy ( it is a cross reaction to cows milk proteins) but today he can eat, touch and live with soy no problem while he is still cows milk protein intolerant - the immune system is very dynamic and changes over the course of a life. There might have been a true IGE reaction but it might have been a cross reaction to another allergen. I would NEVER get a latex mattress for him - but he is not in an age where he spends a lot of time in mom and dad’s bedroom or anywhere near it - and he is an old pro at recognizing allergy symptoms and staying safe…

My husband had enough of me going back and forth and ordered a dreamfoam 13 inch gel after reading the reviews - we have a split king setup and we’ll need 2 twins sooner or later - the plan is for me to try it out - if it feels too firm for me he will take it and I go with the cirrus lux, hopefully I do love it though - I thought he wanted a firm but he has admitted some hip and shoulder pains and wants to try a much softer setup ( he is a normal sized side/back sleeper)

I also ordered a flobed shredded latex topper that I have always wanted to try - it was on sale and I could not resist - not sure how this fits into my plans yet…