Love the Berkeley Ergonomics Oslo, didn't love the price

Hi all -

We’ve been sleeping on a Stearns and Foster mattress that started to sag very early in its life. We’ve only had it for about 3 years, and it’s time to try to get better life.

We’re in the NYC area and went and checked out the Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses at Scott Jordan. We loved their Oslo model (I believe it’s latex on top of one layer of coils) with me doing better on the soft side and my wife better on the firm side (she has always loved a firmer mattress than me). The split firmness was a huge appeal. However, at $2310 for a king, we’re a little hesitant.

My question is do we suck it up and pay that much for the quality of the materials and split firmness option, or are there other options that are as good for less money. Should we check out Dixiefoam? Should we consider the Ultimate Dreams mattresses on Amazon or Brooklyn Bedding, even though we can’t try out the mattresses?

Thanks!
-jaba

Hi jaba,

The “should we” types of questions can only be answered by each person themselves because it depends on which parts of your personal value equation are most important to you, what else is available to you that you would be comfortable purchasing, your budget, and on what else you have tried and compared it to. I can only help with how to choose to make sure that you are considering all the things that are involved in a mattress purchase and that may be important to you over the years you own your mattress. I think highly of Scott Jordan (NOTE ADDED: They are now a member of this site as well) so they would certainly be worth including in your research but there are also many other good options available to you. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

I can tell you that the Berkeley Ergonomics are high quality mattresses that have no weak links and I would consider them to be better “value” than most of the mainstream choices that most people end up purchasing. There are many people who are very happy with their purchase of a BE mattress.

I would follow the steps in the tutorial post here one by one and when you are down to final choices between “good and good” then I would make the choice that was best match for your specific criteria and personal value equation.

With the BE Oslo you have at least one good option but if you are uncertain it may also be a good idea to have two or three finalists to choose between.

Phoenix