Love the Latex -- Except for the Heat

Hi there,

I had bought a Habitat Furnishing 6" latex mattress and found that for the first time in years, I woke up without pain. (I am a back and side sleeper who has a pain syndrome from “loose” joints.) Too, I like the latex for its anti-microbial and mite-resistant properties, as I’ve also been blessed with severe mold, mite, and dust allergies. The problem is the thing is so dang hot. I’ve removed all mattress protectors and use only a fitted sheet now, and that’s helped some, but I’m still sweating – the difference is, I’m just not drenched in it. I generally like a cool mattress so that I can regulate the temperature with a heating pad and/or blankets.

Is the Habitat mattress just particularly hot? Are the other, comparable latex mattresses that have more channels for air flow, and so sleep cooler? Any other suggestions? I am kitting up a guest bed now, and have the opportunity to buy a mattress that meets all my criteria (comfort; mold resistance; cooler temperature), if such a thing exists.

Thanks!
Porridge_and_Bed

Hi Porridge_and_Bed,

In general terms … latex is more breathable and “temperature neutral” than other types of foam materials (especially memory foam) but there are also many variables that can affect sleeping temperature besides just the materials in a mattress including your sheets and bedding, the conditions in your bedroom (temperature and humidity), where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range, and the type of mattress you are used to sleeping on. Dunlop is also less breathable than Talalay latex but the Dunlop latex that Habitat uses in their mattress (100% natural Dunlop) would be the same as or very similar to the Dunlop latex that is used by many other manufacturers in their mattresses.

Your mattress also has a cotton cover quilted with wool which is a good temperature regulator as well (in both directions) and your “medium” mattress also isn’t particularly soft (softer mattresses can be more insulating and sleep warmer) so most people wouldn’t have a temperature regulation issue with your mattress but each person can be different from others when it comes to the sleeping temperature they are comfortable with.

Having said that … how other people may sleep on your mattress won’t be helpful to you of course so there are some suggestions in post #2 here and the post it links to that has some suggestions that may help you track down the cause of any temperature issues outside of the mattress itself (such as the types of sheets or bedding you are using) or to add a mattress protector or mattress pad that may help with temperature regulation as well.

Phoenix