low profile foundation for latex mattress

For anyone who is needing a cheap foundation option for a latex mattress you can check out my DIY on the following blog:

http://theblissfulonion.blogspot.com/

Hi accord1647,

Thanks for sharing the details of your design … I appreciate it.

I’ll add a couple of comments though for the sake of clarity and accuracy for others that may read your blog.

This may not be as accurate as you believe it is since most mattresses use barrier systems with inherent fabrics (not chemical treatments) that are fire resistant to pass the fire regulations unlike furniture which tends to use more chemicals and fire retardant foams. While of course concerns about harmful chemicals in mattresses is not completely unfounded … they are often more exaggerated than accurate and the chemicals you are concerned with are certainly not the “rule” in the mattress industry. There is more about fire retardants in mattresses in post #2 here and post #4 here but there are certainly many fire retardant mattresses that have passed CFR 1632 and CFR 1633 (the mattress fire regulations) that don’t use harmful chemicals. The same would hold true for foundations.

The other issue that I would also take into account is that a solid surface foundation doesn’t provide for airflow under the mattress and in some circumstances can be a little more “risky” than a foundation that has a more breathable slatted design (see post #10 here).

Phoenix

Hi accord1647

I would also drill about 50- 3/4 inch holes in the plywood top, to help the mattress breathe…

cheers