Low profile foundations and weight support

My son finally got his “big boy bed.” We have a Munire Rhapsody crib that converts to a full size bed. It has wood rails and came with 5 flimsy slats that appear to have joints in them. I wouldn’t call them supportive in the least bit. What I didn’t realize is that the frame is 10" off the floor and that they recommend a bunky board or low profile foundation. My bed is only 4-5" off the floor, so I figured ordering a standard height box spring/mattresses would be fine (I missed the memo from them on their recommended foundation).

I ordered a Tuft and Needle 10" full size mattress and a US Box Spring standard height unit. I think both of them are wonderful, but now my son’s sleep surface is WAY TOO HIGH in the air! While he loves it, it’s very cumbersome for him and my wife to get on the bed if we lay down with him (she is on the shorter side). It also looks goofy.

Given that there is no lengthwise middle rail that came with the bed and the slats seem non-supportive, I am VERY hesitant about using a bunky board. There could be over 400lbs on the mattress (not counting mattress weight) if all three of us are on the bed reading stories. I can’t seem to find weight ratings on bunky boards, the lack of a center support beam, and air flow under the mattress are all part of my concerns.

1.) Should I be concerned with using a bunky board given the lack of any center support and questionable platform slats? Should I simply just make a support piece that sits in the middle of the bed under the board?
2.) Would my setup be ok with the “roll of slats” from here? They also have the 3" foundation, but again at about double the price I’d like to pay. Organic mattress foundations of wood, cotton, wool. Organic & Healthy, Inc
3.) Amazon has a Classic Brands 4inch foundation for $200. I don’t know the slat gap though and I need to determine if that’s enough of a drop for what I am looking for. I also don’t know about the Classic Brands quality.

Thanks!

Hi stratocaster1422,

I wouldn’t be concerned with the bunkie board as much as I would with the strength of the frame underneath it and if it was me and there is a potential 400 lbs on the mattress I would reinforce the center and make sure it was supported to the floor. There are some suggestions in post #12 here and post #5 here that may be helpful.

This must be the day to ask about organic and healthy’s slats :). You can see my comments about them in my reply to mightyh here. They would certainly be fine if there is suitable center support underneath them.

I’m not familiar with their foundation so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it but again the bigger issue seems to be the support for the bedframe underneath it. There are also some sources for bunkie boards in post #4 here that may be helpful … particularly flobeds slat conversion kit.

Phoenix

AWESOME suggestions Phoenix! Thank you so much!!