Lower back discomfort

So I am waiting to get my mattress refund from Novosbed before starting my ordering but I realized Arizona only sells their 2" talalay at 22ILD and not 19ILD like they do for their 3" layers. Will there be that much of a difference between 19 and 22ILD in a 2" topper? If it might be something that would be noticed I don’t mind looking elsewhere for 19ILD talalay but figured I’d ask to see if it was worth my time. This layer would go over a 2" 28ILD layer that would be over the pocketed coil unit.

Hi zexpress,

It’s a small difference and some people aren’t able to tell one from the other, but unless you had them side by side you wouldn’t be able to know for sure. Arizona Premium lists the blended Talalay in 3" at 19, 28, 32 and 36 ILDs, which align with Talalay Global numbers. The 22 ILD listed for the 2" aligns with the S5 from Radium, so it might be that they are using Radium blended for that piece, but I’m not sure. They list their 2" 22 ILD as “super soft”, so it may be that in the 2" they feel the 22 ILD is more appropriate than a 19 ILD. I would suggest a phone call with them where they can explain why they offer what they do.

Phoenix

They pretty much said the same as you did which was they felt that at 2" 19ILD just was too soft on its own and wouldn’t provide much support but of course my plan is to use it over a firmer 28ILD layer so I would imagine my case would be a bit different. I guess I will have to think about it a bit more as part of my plan of this set up was that I would do a very soft 19ILD over the medium 28ILD. Luckily there are plenty of places that sell it, just was hoping to be able to get everything from one shop.

Hi zexpress,

Thanks for the update on your phone conversation with Arizona Premium.

Phoenix

I just wanted to follow up again as I had the opportunity to sleep on a friends Avocado mattress for several days this past weekend. Apparently it uses the same zoned pocketed coil system as the one Arizona Premium Mattress uses and it was to say the least a horrible experience due to the firm center zoning. I literally could not sleep on my side at all as I felt my hips were pushed too high compared to the rest of my body. I don’t know if he has the one with 2 or 4" of latex but I am wondering if this is a sign that zoned mattresses are not suited for me since I am only 140lbs. I think based on this I am going to order the Luma who have been really great so far in answering my questions and agreed that they don’t even recommend their zoned option to customers unless they are over 180lbs. I think I am just going to start with the base mattress and will consider a topper later should I need it although I will say I did discover I kinda like the feel of dunlop latex would it be terribly strange to put 2" of soft dunlop over Luma’s 1.5" of medium talalay?

Hi zexpress,

Thanks for your update!

Nothing can replace your own personal testing, so I’m glad you had a chance to test out something “in the range” of what you’ve been considering. The Avocado does use the Quantum Combi-Zone spring unit from Leggett and Platt in the same gauge and configuration as the one you mentioned from Arizona Premium. Unless the Avocado had a pillowtop, the mattress would have used 2" of D75 100% NR Dunlop over 1" of D95 100% NR Dunlop on top of the spring unit. While most of your comfort is derived form these layers of latex, it sounds from your description that you desire to have your hips sink in a bit more for alignment than the firmer zoning of the Combi-Zone allows in this configuration.

In this particular layering combination it seems to be the case, and it may definitely be that in a three-zone system with the middle-third firmer you don’t like this level of alignment and it doesn’t agree with your sleeping style and somatotype and particular dimensions and differences between them.

Luma is very knowledgeable about latex hybrids and how customers have responded to their various configurations, so I would definitely give “weight” (pun semi-intended :lol: ) to their suggestion.

No, this would not be strange if you desired to do so. While Dunlop and Talalay both labelled as “soft” may have similar ILDs, the Dunlop generally will be a bit “firmer” feeling and also a bit less “springy”, and a “sfot” Dunlop can match up quite well with “bending in” to a “medium” Talalay layer. Such a configuration would differ from the design of the Avocado where you had firmer layer under the softer upper Dunlop layer; in this case you’d have soft Dunlop over a “medium” Talalay, which wouldn’t be as hard feeling as the firmer D95 Dunlop used in the Avocado, which when combined with the non-zoned spring unit should allow for your hips to sink in a bit more.

Phoenix