L's Mattress Shopping Thread

Just to let you all know that within seven days of ordering the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel it was at my door. The box was a bit beaten up from shipping but other then that it arrived in tact. Dragged it up the stairs cut open the wrapper and let the mattress expand.

First off just to let you all know that this is my second experience with online mattress shopping. The first was a Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding and now this one from Dreamfoam. So though at times I may sound a little dissatisfied with the quality of the mattress it is not the case. UD 13 is a great mattress and an exceptional buy, but on the other hand is no comparison to the Aloe Alexis. There is without a doubt 700.00 worth of value separating the two, now I know.

The first thing I noticed was the shipping weight of this mattress compared to the Aloe bed. The UD 13 was approximately 100lbs I was able to muscle this thing up the stairs and into my apartment basically by myself. Not the case with the Aloe bed I remember barely being able to get it into the hall, I don’t recall the shipping weight, maybe Phoenix can do the math but it had to be close to double.

Second was the density of the base foam, 2.17 vs the 1.5. I remember once when rotating the layers on the aloe bed I actually laid on the base of the Aloe and it was hard. I mean so hard that barely could compress it with my hand. Not the case with the UD 13 and the 1.5 base its rather soft once it was fully expanded.

Both beds I believe have the same 4lb gel layer closest to the top and being the main comfort layer. But the feel between these two beds are like day and night. I wont even begin to try to describe the difference you all will just have to take my word. But as I initially laid on the UD13 all that echoed in my ears was phoenix’s words on how every other layer effects the feel of another.

OK, enough comparing! Now on my feelings on the UD 13. Its a beautiful mattress, once fully expanded it did have quite the Ahhhhh! Factor when I laid on it in comparison to the air mattress I had been sleeping on for the past couple of months. Its is plush so keep that it mind, I really cant compare it to the Cloud Luxe considering I haven’t laid on one for months but I would have to say its similar.

The UD 13 seems to be a great fit at this point, I still have to adjust and get through the break in period but I am confident that the UD 13 is a great addition and wont be returned.

Ikea Malm - Queen Size Frame/Low Profile
Ikea Sultan Lade - Slatted Base
Ikea Skorva - Mid Beam

Dreamfoam - Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel
Malouf Encase - 6 sided Mattress Protector
Dreamfoam - Latex Pillow and Memory Foam Pillow

Ikea Linblomma - Duvet Cover and Shams
Ikea Rodtoppa - Cool 50/50 poly/lyocell
Biddeford - Elactric Blanket (Plush)
Liz Claiborne - Liquid Cotton Sheet Set

Hi TandL,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update and the pictures … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Just for the sake of clarity … the density of polyfoam has nothing to do with its firmness because any density polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels from ultra soft to ultra firm. While the base layer of the UD 13 may be softer … that’s not because of its density and is just part of the design of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks for the clarification!