Luft mattress components durability? Specs enclosed.

Desperately looking for a new mattress and like coil hybrids for the feel on my lower back and I lean toward cushion firm feel. I’m looking for feedback on the specs I received on the Luft mattress and thoughts on durability and potential weak links. I’m 6’1 240 lbs with a lower back injury. My weight is normally around 220 and I’m headed back in that direction ASAP. Specs from the manufacturer areattached as a PDF. No density is shown for the 1" layer of graphite memory foam.

Hi Sorensleepy,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for that information about the Luft mattress. From what you were provided, the specifications are (top to bottom):

Quilt panel:
1.5 lb gel polyfoam
Dacron fiber layer (no thickness listed)
1.5 lb gel polyfoam

1" graphite infused memory foam - unknown density
1.8 lb polyfoam
Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa Nested pocketed spring unit
1.8 lb polyfoam base layer

For more “normal” to “lower” BMIs, my concern would be the 2" of 1.5 lb polyfoam and fiber in the quilt panel, along with the unknown density of memory foam directly beneath the quilt, as being durable enough. I normally don’t like to see more than 1" or so of 1.5 lb polyfoam in the quilt panel, but at 2" and combined with fiber, along with the memory foam beneath, this would be something I’d advise a bit of caution when considering.

For someone of a higher BMI, post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading. I would have a concern with the polyfoam densities for you, even as you continue to lose weight (good job!).

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

The innerspring unit should be supportive enough for you and generally wouldn’t be a concern.

I hope that information helps. Thanks for sharing!

Phoenix

Thank you! My search will continue.