Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System versus Plushbeds Luxury Bliss Natural Latex

Hi Jvanwho,

I’m curious as to how you like your Luma sleep mattress. I am currently looking at innerspring latex mattresses and liked their return policy. Still haven’t pulled the trigger yet…

John

Hi John,

The mattress actually hasn’t shipped yet :confused: I placed my order in the late afternoon Eastern time last Monday 3/13/17, so yesterday 3/20 was technically the fifth business day. The Luma website says orders typically ship 3-4 business days after the order is placed. I’m really hoping to see the shipping notice today. Luckily the mattress should arrive quickly since they’re manufactured in Southern California and it won’t have to travel far. I think I’ll send an email to see if there are any updates :). I’ll keep y’all posted!

UPDATE:
I got a super fast reply to my email to Luma customer service! My mattress will be shipping out today and I should receive it either tomorrow Weds 3/22 or Thurs 3/23 :smiley: CAN’T WAIT

Hi,

Have you received your mattress yet? I am considering getting this same mattress, and I was wondering what your initial impressions are.

Yes, I got the mattress the day after my last post, so it’ll be two weeks on Wednesday. We’re very happy with it so far! It shipped on a Tuesday and we received it the next day since we live fairly close to the factory. The set up was really quick and easy, we slept on it that same night.

We went with a talalay latex and spring mattress since my husband is a big guy - 6’ 8" and over 270 lbs. He has regular back pain so I wanted to make sure the mattress would be supportive and stand up to his size without breaking down too quickly. I’m average height and weight for a woman. We both prefer a medium feel on a mattress, and would rather have the mattress be slightly too firm than slightly too soft. The medium firm from Luma was the right balance for us.

If you’re concerned about motion transfer, you might consider the all-latex option from Luma because there is some transfer with the pocketed spring version. That’s not a concern for us though, and we appreciate the responsiveness of the mattress for both sleeping and amorous activities.

Only time will tell but this has been a great choice for us so far. My husband woke up with no back pain after one night on the mattress, which is amazing because he went to bed hurting that day.

So a big thumbs up from us so far! Let me know if you have any questions that I didn’t cover here. Also, if you’re in one of the states where Luma collects sales tax, be sure the tax rate is correct for your location. The rate was slightly too high when I went to check out, so I called and they updated the ordering form within minutes.

Side note, I really love the latex pillows that were included with our order. They’re soft and have a lovely floaty feeling.

J

Hi jvanwho,

Thank you for replying to ztarnold and providing an update on your new Luma mattress. I’m glad that you’re both enjoying your new mattress and I’m looking forward to future updates after you’ve had a chance to experience your mattress for a while longer.

Phoenix

Thank you for your help. I decided i’ll try out the Plush+, which is ILD 24. Im so excited.

I appreciate your response, it helped me confidently choose a luma mattress.

Hi ztarnold,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

Did you purchase one of the hybrid models? I’m curious if you spoke with Luma Sleep Contact before placing your order, as the normal plush is a 19 ILD and I can’t see where the option for a Plush+ 24 ILD is listed on their web site.

I’m looking forward to your comments on your new mattress once you’ve received it and have had a chance to use it for a while.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Yep, I purchased the hybrid, innerspring core with the 3" latex comfort layer.
And yes, I spoke with Stefano, who was super helpful. He said they initially offer 3 levels of firmness, but they have an additional two, Plush+ (24ILD) which is between plush and medium, and they offer one between medium and firm as well. I dont remember the ILD for that one.

He said the additional two options are what they typically send to an owner who needs a tiny change in firmness.

-Zac

Hi Zac,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks for confirming this as well. Once again, I’m glad you phoned them before placing your order and you were able to get more personal attention and information that you wouldn’t normally have known about if you had simply clicked and bought off of the web site.

I believe the ILD between the medium and the firm is 32.

Phoenix

Ok, one more question. I can’t understand the difference between the Luma Mattress (described as 11" Talalay latex and 1057 coil Pocket Spring mattress) and the Luma hybrid system (3"- 28 ILD Talalay Latex Comfort Layer, 10.5" Latex/Pocket Spring base mattress). Is the only difference between them the top 3 inch layer of latex?

Hi Annie!
The Luma hybrid Slumber System has two separate pieces - the 11" Luma mattress and a 3" talalay latex topper. So you can buy just the mattress by itself, or the two piece system. The 11" Luma mattress is 1.5" of talalay latex on top of the ~8 inch pocketed coil unit.

For anyone with the Luma now I am curious of the overall feel of the mattress without the top layer. I know 1.5" of Latex isn’t a lot but my budget is a bit tight and $600 for the top layer seems a bit steep for 3" of Talalay latex that I can always get later plus I am so picky on pillows I am fairly sure the free latex pillows won’t get used (I need my pillows to be super flat or I get major neck pain). I guess I just wonder how much of the springs you feel with the topper and without.

I do have a couple questions for Phoenix on this mattress design as well. Is there any negative or major difference in feel in going with a mattress like this where it is designed as two pieces vs a mattress like the Luxury Bliss where it is a single piece design? Also unlike most of these latex hybrids the Luma doesn’t have a wool topper but instead uses Tencel fabric as the encasement. I believe Tencel is made from wool pulp so would it be safe to assume they have similar cooling properties or would using actual wool still have more of a benefit?

Hi anniesearch,

The Luma Mattress has a 1.5 1.8 lb polyfoam base, on top of which is a Quantum Edge pocketed spring unit. Above that is 1.5" of blended Talalay latex that can be had in either 19, 28 or 36 ILD.

The Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System adds a 3" separate blended Talalay latex topper to the Luma Mattress, and this topper may also be had in 19, 28 or 36 ILDs.

The feel of the mattress would depend upon the ILD of the latex you chose, and most importantly would be determined by your own personal preference based upon sleeping on the product. There are many people who prefer a minimal amount of padding on top of their mattress, and a pocketed coil spring unit by itself can be quite conforming.

My best suggestion would be a phone call directly with Luma, as they are quite experienced with their design and how it fits different people and sleeping styles, and they would best be able to suggest if this configuration might work for your sleeping style, and if a certain ILD of the latex in the Luma Mattress might work better if you decide to add a topper down the road. As for the pricing, the queen Luma Mattress is currently $895.00 and the Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System is $1495.00, with 10% or more off for TMU members (code TMU10). They do allow one year for a free exchange of the latex in the topper layer if you decide to make a change.

The Luxury Bliss has a different design in the covering, using a quilted cotton cover, so for the sake of comparison let’s assume all of the layers of foam in the Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System were contained in a single cover, as opposed to the separate topper system they currently use, and compare those two configurations. Once a mattress pad and a fitted sheet are placed over the item, the difference would be small, if even perceptible, between the two configurations. In theory, having the topper separate would allow for a bit more conformation in the upper layer, so there could be a bit more “plushness” felt.

Stretch-knit covers are very popular with latex mattresses, so I wouldn’t say that most use a cover with wool quilted to it. The Luxury Bliss uses a cotton cover and that is quilted to wool, both for comfort and to pass flammability regulations. I’m not sure if anything else is blended with the wool or if there is anything else quilted to the cover, as the information on the various online sites selling this mattress unfortunately contain more generic information. This would be good quality material and would be breathable.

The covering used on the Luma Latex Hybrid Slumber System and the Luma Mattress is Tencel, which is a cellulosic fiber that is also breathable and durable. Luma uses an inherently non-toxic fiber layer under the covering to pass federal flammability guidelines instead of wool. The Luma cover is also removable and washable.

While the covers used by all of the mattresses you mentioned are good quality and breathable, the layers closest to your skin will have the greatest impact upon temperature regulation. Wool does an excellent job at storing and releasing moisture, as does Tencel, but a mattress pad using wool might have a more direct impact upon your sleeping temperature.

There is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful (including more information about wool). There is also more about sheets and bedding in post #7 here. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make a large difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

I hope all of that information is helpful.

Phoenix

Does anyone have experience with Luma Latex Hybrid or an update?

HI kc12,

Luma Sleep is a “newer” member here to the site, and the brand itself isn’t as old as some of the others in the “simplified choice” category, so there isn’t as much feedback here on the forum so far. A search on Luma (just click on the link) will bring up where they have been mentioned here on the site. Their products do use good quality and durable materials, and I do think highly of them and the advice they provide.

While I know that you’ve been a member here of the site for a while, but it bears repeating for those who may be browsing through this thread for the first time…I always advise to be cautious about putting too much stock into other people’s comments about how a mattress is working for them and then applying that to you, as you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be careful about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases these comments, no matter how well meant, can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here). Just something to keep in mind.

Phoenix

Hi kc12! We have had our Luma for about two months now. I’m still very pleased!

J

Has Luma closed their doors or something? I called and can’t get an answer?

Hi kc12,

No, I’ve not heard anything like that, but I do see they are asking for messages to be left in their chat feature, so it may be that they are out of the office today. It’s possible they may be traveling to interzum today (an industry conference). I’ll post back if I find out anything.

[EDIT: They were having phone line issues for a few hours yesterday, but are back up and running today]

Phoenix

Hi jvanwho,

Thanks for taking the time to post back, and I’m glad that you’re still enjoying your new mattress. I hope you’ll post back in the future when you’ve had more time to sleep upon your new Luma.

Phoenix

Hi kc12,

Luma Sleep Contact phones are back online today. Apparently, they were having some telecommunication issues, but I checked today and they are available to answer your questions.

Phoenix