Mack-o-pedic VIII Latex Hybrid

Good Evening Y’all,

I am currently looking for a new king sized mattress with a ceiling price of approximately $3,000. I’ve gone around to several areas within the greater Houston area looking for a hybrid mattress and have found that I prefer the responsiveness of latex mattresses. Looking at the 3 P’s, my personal preferences have found that the Mack-o-pedic VIII Latex Hybrid fills that portion and a friend has told me that in terms of position I seem to be in a straight line (although we didn’t have a ruler or tape measure). When I asked them the 5 basic questions I received that the information was proprietary but I did receive the following information:

After speaking with The factory, several questions you asked are proprietary. What we do show on the mattress and on line is the mattress is 15" thick. It has Dunlop latex, and the number of coils is 1056. The coil unit is 14.5 guauge 7" wrap coils. Please email or call my cell phone if you have any questions.

I was able to get a delivered price (delivery and tax inclusive) of around $2300 I’m looking to see if anyone has purchased one of these mattresses (either the plush or the firm) and can provide any insight as to whether this is a good deal. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi sekndsurvace,

There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the “value” of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Any type or blend of latex (either Dunlop or Talalay and made with synthetic rubber, natural rubber, or a blend of both) is a high quality and durable material so the choice between them would be more of a preference and a budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in general in post #7 here but the best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing or your own personal experience. Having said that … I would still want to know the thickness, type and blend of any latex in a mattress you are considering so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If the only materials in the Mack-o-pedic VIII Latex Hybrid is latex and the pocket coils then there would be no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress but if there are any other type of foam materials (such as memory foam or polyfoam) then I would want to know the type and density of the other foam layers before making any purchase. While it won’t include the specifics of the foam layers … the law tag will show the general type of materials in the mattress listed by the percentage of weight so you can confirm whether there is any memory foam or polyfoam in the mattress by looking at the law tag…

If for some reason any retailer or manufacturer is either unable or unwilling to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed choice then I would pass the mattress by because it would be much too risky to purchase.

While some information can legitimately be considered to be proprietary to a manufacturer … there are many manufacturers that claim that the information you would need to make an informed choice is also somehow “proprietary” but I certainly wouldn’t agree. You can read a little more about “so called” proprietary materials and using this as a justification for not disclosing what I would consider to be essential information here and here and here.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Houston area are listed in post #2 here.

There are many people who prefer latex/innerspring hybrids (see post #13 here) and outside of any other local options that may be available in your area … some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and the post it links to but if you wish to test any of them in person rather than ordering online you would need to check their websites or call them to see if any of them have a dealer close to you.

Phoenix