Madison Times Square Mattress any good? limited choice must choose from shop range

Hoping for some help I have a store credit at Australian Snooze store and must choose a mattress . I am a side sleeper with lower sacro iliac problems that comes and go and need a reasonably firm mattress or it plays up. Usualy sleep with a pillow between my knees and another that ithat I lean into (husband calls it the Great Wall of China ) Also have arthritis in my shoulders that hurt on a too firm mattress , …and am a Very Hot sleeper ( Difficult Customer) ! Husband is also a side sleeper and gets hip pain .and drives me nuts with moving around.
My suggested solution is The Madison Times Square which has 7 zones , pocket coils . Comfort layers of liquiGEL memory foam, eco life natural latex and fibre wool/silk blend , feels like it’s good for my back but will probably be to firm for my shoulder
snooze.com.au/Mattresses-Bases/94750/Madison-Times-Square-Mattress
. .so any thoughts on this mattress , ? Will the latex and memory foam make me hot or will a wool topper fix This. And give enough pressure relief for my shoulders and husbands hips.? Kids have just bought me a minijumbuk topper
Australian Wool Mattress Toppers, Underlays & Protectors | MiniJumbuk.
IAlso live in a really hot part of Australia
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: snooze.com.au/Mattresses-Bases/94750/Madison-Times-Square-Mattress

Hi Chico,

I don’t have any particular knowledge about the Australian market so I won’t be able to help much in terms of specific mattresses or manufacturers I’m aware of there but the steps involved in choosing a mattress and the mattress materials that are used in Australia would generally be the same as in North America. I would also read post #2 here (except replace “Israel” with “Australia”).

Like many of the members that have come here with a similar situation you are in a somewhat difficult position where you need to exchange a mattress and are “locked in” to a store or a specific manufacturer that sells mattresses that would normally be best to avoid in the first place and where there may not be many particularly good quality/value options available to you.

While there may not be many great options available to you … there are some suggestions and ideas in post #2 here about the two main strategies that you can use that can help you make the best of a difficult situation.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) which is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase or exchange, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it (see this article) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new).

The Madison Times Square description doesn’t include the information I would need to make any meaningful comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside it but if you can find out the information in the article I linked about “The mattress specifications you need to know” and post it on the forum I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

It’s also not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Latex in general is the most temperature neutral of all the different foam materials and memory foam is generally the warmest although there are many versions of every type of foam (latex foam, memory foam, polyfoam) that can vary in their breathability and temperature regulating properties.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

Wool is a great temperature regulating material (in both directions) and is used in thinner layers in the desert and in thicker layers in the Arctic so if the mattress sleeps too hot by itself then the wool topper would likely help … especially since it has a summer side and a winter side.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are just too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix