"Major" Brands Sealy Optimum?

Hi DAK,

For me to make a reasonable comparison between them … I would need to know more details about the types of latex and the thickness of the latex in the mattress (or the latex layers) not just the mattress thickness for each of the mattresses you are considering. Knowing more about the details of the quilting and ticking of each mattress would also make a difference (the quilting and ticking materials can be a significant part of the cost of a mattress and its comfort properties as well).

For example the Savvy Rest is available in either 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay (one is more costly than the other) and only has 3 x 3" layers of latex in the mattress for a total of 9" (not 10") and has an organic wool/cotton quilting. What type of materials does the one you are quoting contain (I’m assuming it’s the lower cost Dunlop)

The Suerte uses 8" of 100% Natural Dunlop and has a very nice stretch jersey ticking with 2 lbs / sq yd of organic wool in the quilting.

I don’t know the details of the Milwaukee mattress you are looking at.

I also don’t know if these are mattress only prices (nothing else such as a foundation should be included in any mattress value comparisons) or the size you are looking at (which can make a significant difference in the price)

Can you provide a little more information about the specifics?

It seems to me that all of them use good quality materials but all of them (with the possible exception of the Ken Michaels where I don’t know enough details to make any assessment) are not in the “best value” range.

Post #21 here includes some of the members of the site which sell latex mattresses online of various types … some of which are very similar to the ones you are considering and which I would use as a “value reference”. I normally consider a 20% “local premium” as being roughly equivalent value.

Of course just as important as the quality and “commodity value” of a mattress is how well it provides you with the PPP that makes it suitable for your specific needs and preferences. Objective and careful testing is one of the most important parts of a mattress purchase to find this out because without being suitable for your body type, sleeping style, and preferences a mattress would have little value for you. There are also many other parts of a mattress purchase that may be an important part of your “personal value equation” which you can see in post #46 here. In the end … the combination of the objective, subjective, and even intangible factors that are most important to you are all part of deciding which one has the best value for you.

Phoenix