Major Mattress Manufacturers - Top 20

Hi DRoid,

The Tempurpedic mattresses are a little easier to analyze because they use fewer types of material. They are basically all made from layers of memory foam of different densities (4.1 lb ES, 5.3 lb, and 7 lb HD). The regular 5.3 lb comes in a softer formulation and a “regular” formulation. All of their mattresses use polyfoam support layers and most are good quality and range from 2 lb to 2.2 lb but some use lower density polyfoam in the 1.5 lb range.

You can see my thoughts about Tempurpedic in the posts that are linked in post #2 here. The short version is that for the most part they use good quality and durable materials but for most people they wouldn’t be in a particularly good value range compared to many other memory foam mattresses that use similar or better quality materials that would be just as durable. I personally would have a great deal of difficulty justifying a Tempurpedic purchase unless for some reason my needs and preferences were so unusual that there were no other alternatives available that would be just as suitable and “comfortable” in terms of PPP and used materials that were the same or better quality that would be just as durable as the Tempurpedic line … and this would be very unlikely.

A quick forum search on Tempurpedic here will bring up many discussions about their different lineups.

Phoenix