Major Mattress Manufacturers - Top 20

Any manufacturers or retailers you could suggest that are located around Nashville, TN?

Hi tnichols,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent ( see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … some options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Nashville area are listed in post #7 here .

Phoenix

My husband and I tried a Paramount mattress, which is a latex, hybrid. We were both on it briefly and liked it. Any comments or suggestions in regard to this mattress?

Hi nanchit,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’ve found a mattress that feels comfortable to you, but you can’t feel quality or durability when testing out a mattress in a showroom. That can only be determined by the componentry used within the mattress, and unfortunately you haven’t provided any detail regarding this.

When researching a new mattress, the specifications you need to know are listed in this article. If you are able to find out that information about the particular model you tested, feel free to post it back here and I’ll be happy to provide further comments for you. There’s more detailed information about choosing a mattress in the mattress shopping tutorial here.

You can read a little more about Paramount Sleep in post #2 here and the posts it links to. Unfortunately Paramount Sleep doesn’t normally disclose all the information you would need to know to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses, but hopefully with the model you’re considering they’ll be a bit more transparent with the latex used within the product. A forum search on Paramount (you can just click this) will also bring up more general information and feedback about them.

Phoenix

Hi I am trying to find a decent mattress company in the maryland area. Any help with that? thanks

Hi audiodoc.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

We have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was created with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who meet the criteria to become Trusted Members of The Mattress Underground.

You can perform a Forum Search and you can type in the “key term” any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving such as Baltimore or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you.

Whatever business you’re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the Post #13 quality/value guidelines here.

Once you have a chance to narrow down your options please let me or any of our Expert Members know and if you have more specific questions will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix

Can you recommend locations in St. Louis to begin our journey to find the right mattress? Thank you!

Hi ReneeH,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

To begin your journey, please first read the answer just above your posting.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix! We visited a mattress showroom today that was previously suggested on this site several years ago. We found a talaley bed that felt wonderful to both my husband and I! We spent a lot of time laying on the bed! It is called Natural Sensations and is made exclusively for St Louis Mattress and Futon Outlet by The Bedding Group out of Rockford Illinois. I can not locate any information on the mattress Natural Sensations its manufacturer The Bedding Group. Are you familiar with them?

Hi ReneeH.

The Natural Sensations mattress uses latex comfort layer on top of HD foam. I do not know the layer thickness and complete set of specs for this mattress, but feel free to post them here and I’ll do my best to comment upon the layers within the mattress. (The retailer you visited should be able to provide this information to you.)

The Bedding Group have a reputation as a quality manufacturer, but you’d still want to find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

Thank your for your prompt response. This is the breakdown of the mattress from top to bottom; 1"plush natural latex Talalay, 3"conformed natural latex Talalay, 1-1/2" plush soy, 6" natural soy base and 1"stabilizer .

Hi ReneeH.

I omitted to insert the link to the information needed to assess the componentry within the mattress. Sorry! … You’d want to find out the information listed here (densities and ILDs not only the thickness) needed to compare the quality of the materials and components against the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the Natural Sensations that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making the purchase.

Looking forward to your update.

Phoenix

So looking at this list, I notice Therapedic is on the list as GOOD POSSIBILITY. Does that mean it may be a good purchase? I checked their site and could really find nothing on material specs. I’m interested because there is a local store(rooms to go) that actually carries this brand, so I would be able to go feel it. If so, do you have specs for it? Thanks

Hi DRoid,

The Tempurpedic mattresses are a little easier to analyze because they use fewer types of material. They are basically all made from layers of memory foam of different densities (4.1 lb ES, 5.3 lb, and 7 lb HD). The regular 5.3 lb comes in a softer formulation and a “regular” formulation. All of their mattresses use polyfoam support layers and most are good quality and range from 2 lb to 2.2 lb but some use lower density polyfoam in the 1.5 lb range.

You can see my thoughts about Tempurpedic in the posts that are linked in post #2 here. The short version is that for the most part they use good quality and durable materials but for most people they wouldn’t be in a particularly good value range compared to many other memory foam mattresses that use similar or better quality materials that would be just as durable. I personally would have a great deal of difficulty justifying a Tempurpedic purchase unless for some reason my needs and preferences were so unusual that there were no other alternatives available that would be just as suitable and “comfortable” in terms of PPP and used materials that were the same or better quality that would be just as durable as the Tempurpedic line … and this would be very unlikely.

A quick forum search on Tempurpedic here will bring up many discussions about their different lineups.

Phoenix

Phoenix - You must be overworked! :wink: @droidx was asking about Therapedic not Tempurpedic.

Jeff Scheuer from ‘Mattress To Go’ (a TMU Trusted Member) sells Therapedic and has several of his “Beducation” videos on their various models. He’d be an excellent source of information on the Therapedic line. https://mattressunderground.com/retail-stores/item/mattress-to-go.html

Hope this helps!

• Bill

Hi Bill/Sweet Dreams.

Oops! :oops: Funny … my eyesight must be getting worse… took that one offline to avoid confusion…One of those times with many balls in the air.
Thanks for keeping an eye! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ve about given up on the major (top ~15) manufacturers. Although a bed can be as simple as a pile of straw in a barn, buying one can seem almost more complicated than buying a car. Lack of transparency is one problem; another is the shell game they seem to play with brand labelling. We had a Sealy Reflexion Laguna Beach mattress for 15 years that was quite comfortable until recently. However, I never found a clear detailed description of its construction, and after 15 years the Sealy product line (ownership, etc.) seems to be completely different. This makes it hard to replace it with something similar. What I do know is that it had a fairly thick pillow top over at least some latex in the support layers (I could see latex pinholes through the bottom covering). In shopping for a new mattress I’ve been focusing on latex products from smaller companies that clearly describe what they are selling, with top-to-bottom descriptions of each layer, ILD numbers, etc. I have never seen anything close to that for S-brands in a conventional retail mattress or furniture store.

HI Cloud999.

You were quite fortunate to get 15 years of use from your Sealy Laguna mattress. As you well noted there have been many changes in the industry since you purchased it and … unfortunately, most of them haven’t been for the better (see post #3 here ). I agree with you that in the current market you’d be better off avoiding the major brands either because they use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than many of their smaller competitors or … because of prohibitive pricing and because of making a blind purchase without knowing what materials it uses. Major brands do not list/provide mattress layer specifications as a way to discourage quality/value comparisons. I would certainly avoid any mattress regardless of the name of the manufacturer where you aren’t able to find out the quality and durability of the materials inside it to ensure that there aren’t any lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress (see the guidelines here).

Laguna Beach is a discontinued line manufactured by Sealy and attempting to find something that is exactly the same is often a frustrating and futile exercise especially when trying to do it on your own. There is more information in [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/christeli-much-firmer-than-expected] post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmness, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

You are on the right track focusing on latex products … you’ve probably seen the mattress shopping guidelines with all the basic information, and steps that can help people make the best possible choice in the mattress shopping tutorial here, I’d especially made sure to go through the information provided in two of the most important links in the tutorial post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help one assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as hoped for, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help with meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation.

Best of luck in your search for a suitable mattress.

Phoenix

As I see it, a good mattress design, like a good scientific experiment, should be repeatable. Even without any transparency into the product specs, you might luck into a comfortable, reasonably durable, and affordable mattress from a major manufacturer. But then, after 10-15 years, you want to replace it. Or even after 3-5 years, you want to outfit a guest room with the same model. But you can’t, because that model either isn’t available at all, or else it is hiding behind a different brand label. Even if you do find a product description, it may be full of pseudo-science and proprietary terms for coils, foams, and fabrics. So yes, it’s much easier to comparison-shop if you’re dealing with natural materials such as latex rubber, wool, and cotton.

After spending several days familiarizing myself with your site and numerous topics (including tutorial), I finally discovered this topic and now I know why I couldn’t find any info on Kingsdown mattresses. We have found one at a local retailer and would like an opinion. It is a latex model called Luxx, with the following specs: core is 6" firm Talalay with 2" hi density firm plant based foam on the underside. Support layer is 2" medium Talalay, 1.5" medium and 1.5" plush Talalay. Comfort layer is 3/4 " hi density plush plant based foam, 1/2" gel infused latex, Joma wool, with a ticking called “teddy bear”.
I’m sure I heard the salesman say the Talalay had a 30% synthetic product blended into it…the same product that’s used to make juicy fruit gum chewier…benzo… something.
This is the first latex bed we’ve found to look at and try in person. I’m wondering how it’s specs and quality compare with others in the Stratosphere price range? We are in the middle of nowhere Alberta, but within driving distance of Calgary and Edmonton, the two largest metro areas. Do you have any recommendations for latex suppliers in our vicinity? Thanks for your help.